Truck Shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bilstein if you can afford it, Gabriel (Max Control if available in your application) if on a budget.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

Gabriel Ultra- Theres one guy on here that says they are the best..other than that not much has been said in the past 10 years. Its the cheapest at $30/shock

I hope that's not in reference to my post. I have them on my avalanche. They ride harsh and stiff, unless my travel trailer is in tow, then they ride really well.

I may soon go back to bilsteins as the unloaded ride is too harsh.

No its a guy on this forum that has a fleet of vans..says the others dont last or break. So these seem to like to be loaded heavy to ride well from your review and his.

Originally Posted By: ejes
Bilstein if you can afford it, Gabriel (Max Control if available in your application) if on a budget.

Hmm. Bilsteins are $65 each and Gabriel Max Controls are $55 each

"That guy" is me. We have several sets of Ultras now all on 3500 series extended vans with 9600 lb. GVWR.

They ride beautifully, but I'm sure that is because of the extreme weight. I just weighed mine the other day at a dump facility and it registered at 9100 pounds! We have had complete failures on KYB and they refused warranty on them despite their spec for our trucks.

I have never liked torsion bar front suspensions, but you should note they are adjustable...

Last edited:
I have Reflex in the front of the Explorer (they were NOS) and Sensatrac with coilovers in the back. I'm very happy with that combo. I had sensatrac before but I have much more control now.

I was talked out of Monomax, told they would be way too stiff.

I've piped up a few times on this topic before -

Yes, bilstein 4600 is the same internals as the 5100 (I'd called bilstein to ask this a few years back).

I've put monroe reflexes on 2 vehicles and found them to be very good, the best of the monroe line.

For smaller sedans I'd be between bilstein and KYB - would avoid monroe.

For Trucks/SUVs to me it's a toss up between monroe and bilstein. The ride quality was smoother with Monroe - they allowed more suspension travel but was controlled. The bilsteins are a little tighter but the ride is a little firmer.

-m

I spent a few more hours reading..im pretty burnt out to be honest..but if someone searches down the road at least we have covered some ground here.

Monroe Reflex Monotube- People say they are better than their factory Tennecos. I have read a few reviews that say they lasted 20K, 50K miles before they were toast. Same goes for the factory Tennecos. I am sure that those guys pushed their suspensions harder than a highway or daily commuter. Mixed bag reviews, mostly good/great.

Bilsteins- if you go by what people say there is a difference in 4600 and 5100 shocks. The literature may say they are the same but i have read too many reviews that say the opposite. The 5100 is the exact same price on ebay as the 4600 and is the same part number for Dodge Trucks as is Chevrolet.

As a whole Bilsteins are a favorite pretty much wherever u go to read reviews. If i were to look at two used vehicles side by side and one had Monroes and the other had Bilsteins I think i too would think that the Bils would be the better option.

As a side note the Gabriels are THE cheapest at half the cost. I agree that they are probably true workhorses.

So as of right now $10 extra per shock over the Monroe Reflex Mono gets me the coveted Bilstein 5100 shocks that seem to be the creme de la creme.

Bilsteins are $65 each and Gabriel Max Controls are $55 each

If the difference is only $10, Bilstein
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ejes

Hmm. Bilsteins are $65 each and Gabriel Max Controls are $55 each

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place on RA, but I show Max Contnrols for $44.79 for the rear (77953), and $45.99 for the front (77803). If I am, and the difference was only 10 dollars/per, I would go with the Bilsteins too.

Bilsteins- if you go by what people say there is a difference in 4600 and 5100 shocks. The literature may say they are the same but i have read too many reviews that say the opposite. The 5100 is the exact same price on ebay as the 4600 and is the same part number for Dodge Trucks as is Chevrolet.
As a side note the Gabriels are THE cheapest at half the cost. I agree that they are probably true workhorses.

So as of right now $10 extra per shock over the Monroe Reflex Mono gets me the coveted Bilstein 5100 shocks that seem to be the creme de la creme.

To me even if the 5100's are the same internally as the 4600, the boots look better at keeping dirt and water out on the 5100. The 4600 don't look quite as dirt sealed.

I'm probably going to take the gabriel's off this april and go with 5100's

I put NAPA (Monroe) Quick Struts and Reflex shocks on my '07 Silverado last fall. They work great, but then they replaced the factory stuff w/ 85k miles, so there was bound to be a big improvement.

My springs are in good shape, not that rusty. But on a 15 year old truck, is there and advantage to replacing the coil springs on a truck this age? 76k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
My springs are in good shape, not that rusty. But on a 15 year old truck, is there and advantage to replacing the coil springs on a truck this age? 76k miles.

Mine only has the rear springs so i can pass along what ive learned not that its expert.

The only real reason i can see to replace non broken coil springs is if you want to change ride height.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back