Kyb-gas-a-just vs Monroe Reflex

hey guys I have a 2003 hummer h2, I want to get new shocks as I haven't changed mine at all. I am looking for the smoothest ride possible. I do not off road or tow. just normal city and highway driving. I'm kinda on a budget so don't wanna get Bilsteins or rancho.
I'm looking at these:
Gabriel Ultra (heard there stiff)
Monroe Reflex
Kyb Gas a Just
KYB Monomax (heard there stiff)

so I believe it's between the Monroe reflex and the kyb gas a just or anything else in similar price range. what do you recommend for the smoothest ride?
thx

Kyb Gas a Just are great, had them before. They are monotube (at least they were in my application) so a bit harder. Much better than Excel series and that Monroe garbage IMO.

Bilstein is in a different league, that is what I use now when I have to service my shocks.

Last edited:
KYB MonoMax is a good monotube shock for trucks
smile.gif

But if you want the best ride possible, it is worth spending the extra money for Bilstein
smile.gif

You do not want the MonoMax if you are not towing. I had them on my last 3/4 ton truck They were AWESOME with a load.
Empty? Hold on to your liver and kidneys.
Still they were a quality product and perfect for what I needed.

KYB's if not Bilstein. Shockwarehouse.com has Gas Adjusts @ $200 perset of 4. $342 for Bilsteins.
Free shipping for both. Both prices (unless I've made a mistake) are for 2003 H2. I've had the Bilsteins on our 2003 Buick Rainier for four years and they still ride like new. We've had the KYB's on a Nissan (gone now but much missed, snif) and they did well in that app.

Use KYB. My experience with Monroe parts is they are not durable at all and cause more problems than they fix. I've given Monroe many chances. Same result every time. Have had only one problem with KYB, but was able to get it exchanged under warranty. Used them many times as well. I still use KYB.

In order of damping from firm to soft.
KYB Monomax

These two are comparable for damping, leaning to the firm side.
KYB Gas a Just
Gabriel Ultra

Monroe Reflex

I personally prefer KYB over the other choices. But the Monomax's are very firm for anything less than a truck loaded to it's GVWR.

The Gas-a-just's are still a controlled ride, but just not jarring when lightly loaded.

LOL. I just went an looked under the WS6. I put the KYB Gas-a-just on it like 3 years ago.
I had forgotten about that.
They have been pretty good on that car. Pretty smooth ride but are good when I push it into a corner.

I put Reflex on my Expedition after the OEM units failed a few times. No regrets. Feels great empty or with the trailer behind it.

hey guys I have a 2003 hummer h2, I want to get new shocks as I haven't changed mine at all. I am looking for the smoothest ride possible. I do not off road or tow. just normal city and highway driving. I'm kinda on a budget so don't wanna get Bilsteins or rancho.
I'm looking at these:
Gabriel Ultra (heard there stiff)
Monroe Reflex
Kyb Gas a Just
KYB Monomax (heard there stiff)

so I believe it's between the Monroe reflex and the kyb gas a just or anything else in similar price range. what do you recommend for the smoothest ride?
thx
I am biased Monroe Reflex all the way

I just replaced the original shocks in my 1985 GMC conversion van over the summer. I went with KYB Gas-A-just in front and Monroe Gas Magnum in back. My decision was based mostly on hearing good things about the KYBs and mitigating shipping costs at Rockauto. I’m satisfied with my choices, though having new shocks has shown me that the springs are weak.

Back