Do control arms need to be replaced in pairs? Subaru problem with the right side

It's too bad the good aftermarket brand don't have control arms for this car. If Delphi or CTR made them, I'd have no problem using them. I'd even give Mevotech a chance if they made their TTX line for the Forester.

Suspensia seems to be a Turkish OE supplier, so I might consider those, or just cough up the $400 for OEM.
Press is new bushings, they come out very easily.

I think you are confused. Mr. Subaru only shows replacement of the larger compliance bushing. The violent shaking is caused by a failure of the small inner bushing.

Yes, I know that, but I'm still going to replace both anyway as well as the ball joint.

Wouldn't you use the same kind of press for both?

Subaru wants you to do the final torque with the wheels on the ground. Is that actually possible? Does anybody actually do that? :unsure:

Can you put the front wheels on ramps, and will that count as having the load on the suspension? I guess you could do it on 4 ramps, but I don't want to have to buy another set of ramps if I don't actually have to.

Subaru wants you to do the final torque with the wheels on the ground. Is that actually possible? Does anybody actually do that? :unsure:

Can you put the front wheels on ramps, and will that count as having the load on the suspension? I guess you could do it on 4 ramps, but I don't want to have to buy another set of ramps if I don't actually have to.
With the front on jack stands, then jack up the hub or steering knuckle with the floor jack. May not be exactly at ride height, but close enough I think. Both front tires on ramps would be better if you can still reach the fasteners with the tires on, no need for the car to be level.

Yes you can put it on Ramps. i would move the car back and forth before doing so vs letting it straight down on a ramp. If you torque then with the suspension hanging it can put them in a bind. And yes, any one who isn't a hack does that.

I personally would do them in Pairs using OE, or do all the bushings as mentioned.

Yes you can put it on Ramps. i would move the car back and forth before doing so vs letting it straight down on a ramp. If you torque then with the suspension hanging it can put them in a bind. And yes, any one who isn't a hack does that.

I personally would do them in Pairs using OE, or do all the bushings as mentioned.

I asked because it's not always possible to fit underneath a car that's actually on its tires and not jacked up :unsure:

The Forester is high enough where that might be possible, but I'd still use ramps anyway.

Still deciding between the OE bushings and ball joints (just under $200 for both sides) or just getting the Suspensia control arms (they claim to be an OE supplier and made in Turkey, so they might be made by Disa/Deeza), unless I can convince the owner to spend the $500 on OE control arms.

The special tools needed cost a lot of money ($30 snap-on ring to fit around the bushing when being pressed in/out), the press itself (about $70), and the time to actually rebuild vs replace)

Easy. Secure front end on jack stands. Place floor jack under the ball joint on the side being worked on. Use block of wood if appropriate. Raise vehicle until jack stand no longer contacts the pinch weld.

Now you can tighten all fasteners.

Back