BMW diesel and Urea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: AlanCanada
Not wanting to spoil the party here, I don't think urinating into the urea reservoir will be a good idea. Urine contains other chemicals extracted from your blood stream. As well, the concentration of Urea, a chemical compound, in the solution Urine varies greatly even for the same individual in a given day.

"Urine is a transparent solution that can range from colorless to amber but is usually a pale yellow. Urine is an aqueous solution of approximately 95% water, with the remaining percentages being metabolic wastes such as urea, dissolved salts, and organic compounds. Fluid and materials being filtered by the kidneys, destined to become urine, come from the blood or interstitial fluid."

Wikipedia - Urine

The urea solution used in cars isn't urine. It's synthesized from natural gas.

So for the Germans: So you need fossil fuels to lower emissions on another fossil fuel...

For the Japanese: You need environmentally-unfriendly batteries to lower emissions on a gas engine.

What the heck is going on!?!?!?!?!?

Last edited:
We all want large heavy vehicles that do 0-60 in 5 seconds, can take a hit from a tractor trailer, and make us feel sporty and superior.

without this stuff, it equals more $$$ in operational cost, or at least it will when fuel goes to $5.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: m37charlie

I so much prefer the urea system over heavy EGR rates. That's what fatal for engines; just wait and see what happens to 07-09 US mfg'd pickup diesels as they age.

I don't know... there are practically hundreds of thousands of OM617 and similar MB 300D diesel vehicles that are verging on 30 years old, 200k+ miles each, and still run well. And these engines have EGR.

Do you have any idea what EGR rates were on these older vehicles? Rates for 07 and later diesels (cooled EGR without help of SCR) exceed 30% (ratio EGR to total intake volume).
I don't know the answer, but I suspect it was in the single digits.

Charlie

Detroit Diesel is going to a urea system in 2010. It will cut down on EGR rates, though I can't imagine that EGR will be eliminated entirely.

Onion, I successfully blocked my EGR on my 906. I had a 3/8" steel plate fabricated at a machine shop using the gasket as a template. I left the valve wired in zip-tied to something - no error messages. The plate needed to be stabilized with a big steel hose clamp to the front cooler bracket since there is flexibility in the exhaust elbow (slip fit) and the intake elbow (corrugated flexible metal).
It runs the same. I'll have to wait for summer to check mpg. At least I feel better about my current oil, which is ACEA E4/E5 but only meets CH4 specs. Mercedes allows 1200 hr OCIs on this type of oil in non EGR versions of this engine. For me 1200 hr = 40K miles. I'll run a UOA at 20-25K.
Sorry for the off-topic.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back