BMW Dealership using BG Products for Driveline & Brakes

Like I from the mouth of a BMW service lead, they can if the car is out of warranty and the owner requests it. I'm really confused as to why they used BG though, they must have an agreement with them as a cheaper cost to them, or they could have "upsold" as a performance fluid at a higher price. Either way, its just plain random and fishy.

I'll have to unlock my account and put em up for sale. Thx for the info!
Based on the number of dealers that use BG products-IMHO I wouldn't use the term "random".

Our VW dealer did a BG flush on our cooling system when the water pump started leaking and required replacement. 20k miles later the heater core clogged up. I’d be po’d.

Our VW dealer did a BG flush on our cooling system when the water pump started leaking and required replacement. 20k miles later the heater core clogged up. I’d be po’d.
You call something happening 20,000 miles later and many months anecdotal? That's a stretch-IMHO. Specially on a VW.

And I am still waiting for someone to explain me “conditioner” for brake fluid.

Yes, I would love to know more about this product. Brake fluid doesn't circulate through the system, so anything added to the reservoir is just going to stay in the reservoir.

Based on the number of dealers that use BG products-IMHO I wouldn't use the term "random".
This is the first time I heard BMW using BG products. My friend who is master tech at BMW actually never heard of BG products. I had to send him web link.

This is the first time I heard BMW using BG products. My friend who is master tech at BMW actually never heard of BG products. I had to send him web link.
Well...per BG's website they have over 22,000 shops using those products. Maybe not BMW-but many other different brands of manufacturers/dealers, inc. GM, Ford, Mazda, etc.

You call something happening 20,000 miles later and many months anecdotal? That's a stretch-IMHO. Specially on a VW.
Water pump failed at 35k. The cooling system was NEVER touched other than by the dealership when changing the water pump and doing a coolant "flush" with a BG coolant flush product. There is no need for such a thing on a water pump change. Refilling with proper spec coolant was all that was needed. 20K later heater core is nearly completely blocked. It takes some time for the coolant to gel up, that does not happen overnight.

"Especially on a VW" also shows your bias.

Water pump failed at 35k. The cooling system was NEVER touched other than by the dealership when changing the water pump and doing a coolant "flush" with a BG coolant flush product. There is no need for such a thing on a water pump change. Refilling with proper spec coolant was all that was needed. 20K later heater core is nearly completely blocked. It takes some time for the coolant to gel up, that does not happen overnight.

"Especially on a VW" also shows your bias.
Fine...it's still not anecdotal.

Nope, it is known issue related to BG being used by VW dealers.
Incredibly frustrating! I had to fork over $600 for a new heater core, and it was "only" $600 because I called corporate to complain, so they paid the other half.

Incredibly frustrating! I had to fork over $600 for a new heater core, and it was "only" $600 because I called corporate to complain, so they paid the other half.
Dear Volkswagen Owner:
As part of Volkswagen’s ongoing commitment to customer satisfaction, we are informing you of our
decision to extend the warranty for the heater core in your vehicle under specific conditions to 10 years
or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's original in-service date.
The vehicle's original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the
original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a "demonstrator"
or "company" car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service.
What is the Problem?
An occupant may notice that the cabin heating output is insufficient on the passenger side.
What Will Volkswagen Do?
In our continuing efforts to assure proper performance of Volkswagen vehicles, your dealer will diagnose
and replace the heater core, if necessary, at no cost to you as long as the vehicle remains within the time
and mileage limits of this warranty extension. Please keep this letter with your Warranty booklet and
deliver it to any new owner, along with the owner’s manual.
What Does This Warranty Extension Cover?
This warranty extension covers the diagnosis and replacement of the heater core in cases where there
is insufficient heating output on the passenger side of the vehicle. Should you ever sell the vehicle, this
warranty extension is fully transferable to subsequent owners.
What is Not Covered Under This Warranty Extension?
This warranty extension will not cover damage or malfunctions caused by outside influence, such as
damage due to an accident, or vehicle misuse or neglect as well as repairs that are (1) necessary for
proper diagnosis of these other conditions or (2) required to bring the vehicle up to factory specifications
are not covered by this warranty extension.
Lease Vehicles & Address Changes
If you are the lessor and registered owner of the vehicle identified in this warranty extension, please
forward this information immediately via first-class mail to the lessee within ten (10) days of receipt of
this notification. If you have changed your address or sold the vehicle, please fill out the enclosed
prepaid owner reply card and mail it to us so we can update our records.

Yea-not an issue with VW heater cores.....

Dear Volkswagen Owner:
As part of Volkswagen’s ongoing commitment to customer satisfaction, we are informing you of our
decision to extend the warranty for the heater core in your vehicle under specific conditions to 10 years
or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's original in-service date.
The vehicle's original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the
original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a "demonstrator"
or "company" car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service.
What is the Problem?
An occupant may notice that the cabin heating output is insufficient on the passenger side.
What Will Volkswagen Do?
In our continuing efforts to assure proper performance of Volkswagen vehicles, your dealer will diagnose
and replace the heater core, if necessary, at no cost to you as long as the vehicle remains within the time
and mileage limits of this warranty extension. Please keep this letter with your Warranty booklet and
deliver it to any new owner, along with the owner’s manual.
What Does This Warranty Extension Cover?
This warranty extension covers the diagnosis and replacement of the heater core in cases where there
is insufficient heating output on the passenger side of the vehicle. Should you ever sell the vehicle, this
warranty extension is fully transferable to subsequent owners.
What is Not Covered Under This Warranty Extension?
This warranty extension will not cover damage or malfunctions caused by outside influence, such as
damage due to an accident, or vehicle misuse or neglect as well as repairs that are (1) necessary for
proper diagnosis of these other conditions or (2) required to bring the vehicle up to factory specifications
are not covered by this warranty extension.
Lease Vehicles & Address Changes
If you are the lessor and registered owner of the vehicle identified in this warranty extension, please
forward this information immediately via first-class mail to the lessee within ten (10) days of receipt of
this notification. If you have changed your address or sold the vehicle, please fill out the enclosed
prepaid owner reply card and mail it to us so we can update our records.

Yea-not an issue with VW heater cores.....
This is related to specific symptoms in specific vehicles, compared to clogged cores across the board where BG products are used. Just search a bit.
I for example never got this info as it is not an issue on 1st generation Tiguan, yet somehow their cores fail when BG products are used. It could be also that in those vehicles that do have issues are further amplified with additive use.

If their products are so good, why then their brake fluid needs “conditioner?” It is a scam, in a similar way like Lucas or Liqui Moly. They somehow have additives for everything.

Well...per BG's website they have over 22,000 shops using those products. Maybe not BMW-but many other different brands of manufacturers/dealers, inc. GM, Ford, Mazda, etc.
So? Those dealers are upselling stuff to make money.
I still can’t get out of my head “brake fluid conditioner.” What a theft!

Here is this brake fluid conditioner:

So, they advise to use BG brake service and then add conditioner. What is the problem? They can’t make brake fluid like everyone else so they have to make separate product?

Because BG is so “known” in braking industry, adding their conditioner is what someone needs. I am wondering why Endless, Motul, Pagid, ATE, Brembo, and others didn’t think of it?

So? Those dealers are upselling stuff to make money.
I still can’t get out of my head “brake fluid conditioner.” What a theft!
Why don't you send them an email to see what kind of so called "scam" this product is? You are high on supposition-and opinion.

So I got info from my friend who checked with other tech’s on their app. Actually they do use it in SOME dealerships and it is not only BG, but other snake oil products.
Apparently, companies that own multiple brand dealerships used in one or two and then started to push on other dealerships. Some BMW dealerships use ZAK products. But knowing BMW stand on non-approved fluids and additives, this might become issue.

So I got info from my friend who checked with other tech’s on their app. Actually they do use it in SOME dealerships and it is not only BG, but other snake oil products.
Apparently, companies that own multiple brand dealerships used in one or two and then started to push on other dealerships. Some BMW dealerships use ZAK products. But knowing BMW stand on non-approved fluids and additives, this might become issue.
That's disappointing to know that BMW dealerships are using non-approved fluids. I wonder what the one around me is using.

Back