BMW Dealership using BG Products for Driveline & Brakes

I’m sure majority of those requirements revolve around the slipperiness and quality of additives so it does not break down quickly with heat (towing/aggressive driving) and the wet clutch friction characteristics are as designed.
Whatever their requirements are, there are a lot of failed TC’s in BMW’s bcs. people are trying to save $20.

Whatever their requirements are, there are a lot of failed TC’s in BMW’s bcs. people are trying to save $20.
In this case, it's not people trying to save $20, it's the servicing dealership to make extra money.

In surprised the brake fluid on BMW's isn't Low-viscosity DOT4 (aka DOT4 Class 6). But the thicker DOT4 will make the car more fun, before ESP kicks in.

Also, what's not known about the used BMW is: As-is warranty or CPO?

In this case, it's not people trying to save $20, it's the servicing dealership to make extra money.

In surprised the brake fluid on BMW's isn't Low-viscosity DOT4 (aka DOT4 Class 6). But the thicker DOT4 will make the car more fun, before ESP kicks in.

Also, what's not known about the used BMW is: As-is warranty or CPO?
I agree that dealership is trying to get extra money. They are probably charging it as DTF-1.
BMW brake fluid is DOT4 LV fluid. Why they are Not using it is “mystery.”
I sent this to my buddy who is master tech at BMW to see what he says.

The Redline product is MT-LV, a 75w GL-4.
Yes, and it was introduced like 3 yrs ago. Before that Redline claimed that they don’t offer fluid specific to xDrive. MT-LV meets GL4, but ALSO BMW requirements. At least that is what they claim.
BMW on other hand doesn’t care about GL4. It is kind of like engine oils.

When I had the Passat, "BG" signage was clearly seen in my dealership's service department. What or if it was used, no idea. Curious if the use of their products at dealerships is more widespread than I ever gave thought.

Ok, my buddy that runs service department in BMW dealership in large city says ONLY BMW products are used, regardless of whether car is under warranty, CPO or just there to be fixed on owners expense.
He promised he will dig around more with connections at other dealerships.

Plenty of MB, VW, BMW dealers I’ve dropped cars at had boxes of BG products stacked 10 feet in the air.

It’s just the name of the game

Revenue comes first.
Depends on business model. My lical BMW dealership gives 15% discount to regular customers on all parts. I am doing 3 stage intake conversion and they said in addition to 15% discount on DISA valves in case I need them, they will match online price for OE DISA valves. That is in addition to 24k or 2 year warranty on all parts, and if they do work, they warrant that for 2 years too. That is BMW NA model. But, I know instances of dealerships trying to stiff customers at every corner, betting it won’t reach BMW NA.

So, yes, all dealerships are in business of making money, but question is how they get there.

I called the dealership where I bought my first BMW, and spoke with the service manager. He used to date one of my close in laws, and they remain friends today. We've hung out before at thanksgiving and at party's before. Called him this am and got answers about his dealership.

BMW is not allowed to sell or promote any aftermarket products, they can only order aftermarket fluids if the customer demands them. His opinion is that he personally wouldn't use any of their products in his car, but there are a lot of ones out their that meet bmw's spec for each component. Said the BG products *should* be ok if there the right weight and designations. The only component he is absolutely adamant about using OE fluids on is the transmission. They strongly advise customers not to use anything but OE fluids in them. He has seen transmission issues come through with non common issues after aftermarket fluids are used. If customers are adamant to go aftermarket, he tells them to get the fluid from the manufactures of the transmissions ZF, and the correct designation for them. Said ZF sells fluids that are what he thinks are the OE supplier.
Certified cars are not allowed to leave the lot unless every fluid and parts are OE as factory. If there was not a mileage based service record at a dealership in the computer, all the services due based on the mileage of the car, must be performed using OE parts and fluids only. Obvious aftermarket parts like suspension components, pumps, alternators have to be OE also.

He did say that another local dealership uses a BG induction cleaning service, but they don't.

He said that the owner should ask for the 50k service record with the breakdown of the services performed and part number called out, and see what they noted used. Just for kicks.

TLDR: Service lead said that at his dealership, when a car is in warranty they are not supposed to use aftermarket parts (within reason) or fluids. Out of warranty they can, when asked (cost of part or service) they can only recommend fluids that meet or exceed BMW's specs. Certified car cannot leave the lot with aftermarket fluids or parts, they must be in original OE condition and all the mileage based services must be performed. He said the other local dealership uses BG for the induction service, apparently they have permission. If asked about reducing the cost of a service out of warranty, they can recommend fluids that meet each spec called out for, and he would never recommend a BG product, ever.

They will probably blame Covid/supply chain. Scammers are everywhere using this as an excuse to cut services and raise profits at your expense. I’ve seen the BMW dealer using Peak antifreeze. BMW online people think their car would burst into flames if they didn’t use BMW blue.

BMW dealerships are not supposed to use unapproved fluids. You could take it up with BMWNA if you want.
They can when its out of warranty and the customer demands the use of said fluids. Cost cutting by either the dealer saving money, an upsell to the customer for "better performance" or the customer asking for cheaper cost of the service.

Pelican Parts has tons of fluids in stock that are cheaper than BMW and they all meet the specifications for the vehicle chosen. Why the hell use BG? Who gained what from it?

They will probably blame Covid/supply chain. Scammers are everywhere using this as an excuse to cut services and raise profits at your expense. I’ve seen the BMW dealer using Peak antifreeze. BMW online people think their car would burst into flames if they didn’t use BMW blue.
Funny you mention that antifreeze I have two full bottles sitting in my garage from my old 7 series.

I find it hard t believe a dealership would stake their franchise over "unapproved" lubricants.
Like I from the mouth of a BMW service lead, they can if the car is out of warranty and the owner requests it. I'm really confused as to why they used BG though, they must have an agreement with them as a cheaper cost to them, or they could have "upsold" as a performance fluid at a higher price. Either way, its just plain random and fishy.
You’re sitting on $50
I'll have to unlock my account and put em up for sale. Thx for the info!

Back