BMW Dealership using BG Products for Driveline & Brakes

Hello! Recently bought a 2017 BMW X5 with 50k miles on it. About 4 months ago the previous owner got a 50k miles service done at the dealership. Upon closer inspection to what was actually performed on the vehicle, it looks like the dealer used BG products from the front and rear differentials, transfer case and brakes. I would have thought a BMW dealership would use BMW products...

Front Diff spec is BMW Rear Hypoid Oil G2 75w-85 GL-5, they filled it with BG Ultra-Guard LS 75w-140 GL-5.
Front Diff spec is BMW Rear Hypoid Oil G3 75w-80 GL-5, they filled it with BG Ultra-Guard LS 75w-140 GL-5.
Holy efficiency loss! I am going to get some 75w-85 GL-5 and redo both.

Transfer case spec is Shell S-Tech TF0870, and they filled it with Synchro Shift II 75w-80 GL-4. Here's the synchro shift PDS https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/792_spec-2017-new-pdf.168172/

Brake fluid was BG DOT 4, but they also added some sort of "conditioner". Further they added some "ethanol treatment" fuel additive.

I'm really surprised a BMW dealership would be using off brand and out-of-spec products. Should I be worried about the transfer case fluid at all? I know that has a chain drive and wet clutch so I am thinking the fluid friction properties might be particularly important for clutch wear.

Its probably ok, however thats why I do my own maintenance. Even on newer BMWs.

BG Brake Fluid Conditioner is real, I had no idea. They have more snake oil for sale than Liqui Moly. Maybe it works?

Are you sure the dealership did the service? I cannot imagine that BMW USA would not have a rule where all BMW services would be performed with BMW fluids. I would call BMW USA and calmly ask about the dealerships use of non BMW fluids in a service. I'm sure it would get kicked up the ladder and you'll receive a call a few days later with an answer to your question. I know that when I owned my BMW's the driveline fluids were insanely high, priced at almost $500 for all the fluids needed for a complete driveline change.
I went with Mobil one in the diff, and trans fluid from Bavarian Auto that met all the specs called for.

The real question here is if the BG products meet the standards called for by BMW for the fluids.. I would take an uneducated guess and say no.
A company that many consider as snake oil, should not have their fluids anywhere near a car at a BMW dealership. BMW is always so highh and mighty about only using genuine BMW parts and fluids in their cars.. I cannot imagine any way it would be acceptable for a dealership to use non OEM fluids in all the driveline components, it can't be allowed by BMW USA, if it was I'd chit my pants.

On the diff fluids, the part numbers and prices were for the 64 fluid oz each and each diff takes less than a liter haha. Scam dealer!

Nothing wrong with BG fluids. I'd leave the differentials alone.

I'm skeptical of their use of GL-4 in the transfer case but they must not be seeing too many failures as a result.
I looked into that a bit. Nothing wrong with using he 75w-140 for the axles. Nothing special about them to require a special BMW lube. Actually the thicker oil is better for wear protection. Just loosing probably 1-2% efficiency from the higher pumping and churning losses in the gears and bearings.

The Shell stuff I believe is a GL-4 so I think that part is good. The BG stuff is a bit thicker. Again, losing efficiency. I did a launch control start and everything hooked up ok with no slip feelings so much be transmitting torque good through that transfer case wet clutch.

Are you sure the dealership did the service? I cannot imagine that BMW USA would not have a rule where all BMW services would be performed with BMW fluids. I would call BMW USA and calmly ask about the dealerships use of non BMW fluids in a service. I'm sure it would get kicked up the ladder and you'll receive a call a few days later with an answer to your question. I know that when I owned my BMW's the driveline fluids were insanely high, priced at almost $500 for all the fluids needed for a complete driveline change.
I went with Mobil one in the diff, and trans fluid from Bavarian Auto that met all the specs called for.

The real question here is if the BG products meet the standards called for by BMW for the fluids.. I would take an uneducated guess and say no.
A company that many consider as snake oil, should not have their fluids anywhere near a car at a BMW dealership. BMW is always so highh and mighty about only using genuine BMW parts and fluids in their cars.. I cannot imagine any way it would be acceptable for a dealership to use non OEM fluids in all the driveline components, it can't be allowed by BMW USA, if it was I'd chit my pants.
Yeah BMW of Ann Arbor, MI. Surprised as hell to hear that.

Yes-that's what it is.

Isn't GL-4 or GL-5 a pretty thorough or standardized spec and there isn't much difference between brands ? Do differentials really need any special fluids beyond the basic spec, i.e. 80W-90, GL-5 ?

Last edited:
I wouldn't give it a second thought and would just motor on.
I really dont think a BMW dealer would use something that would do any harm, maybe I'm naïve.
Its pretty clear that the only reason they would have to use BG fluids instead of BMW fluids would be to cut the cost of using the BMW fluids. As a dealership that sells a service plan, they keep the money paid for the plan, and they absorb the costs of the services performed.

Bottom line is they used a lower cost fluid to save them money. From what I've been told by a bmw tech I knew from high school, they don't get much of a discount for parts and fluid. Said the dealership has a very high cost for parts and fluids.

The only experience I have with BG is their snake oil additives that are supposed to improve xxx. Which should I not look at their other products in the same way?

Hello! Recently bought a 2017 BMW X5 with 50k miles on it. About 4 months ago the previous owner got a 50k miles service done at the dealership. Upon closer inspection to what was actually performed on the vehicle, it looks like the dealer used BG products from the front and rear differentials, transfer case and brakes. I would have thought a BMW dealership would use BMW products...

Front Diff spec is BMW Rear Hypoid Oil G2 75w-85 GL-5, they filled it with BG Ultra-Guard LS 75w-140 GL-5.
Front Diff spec is BMW Rear Hypoid Oil G3 75w-80 GL-5, they filled it with BG Ultra-Guard LS 75w-140 GL-5.
Holy efficiency loss! I am going to get some 75w-85 GL-5 and redo both.

Transfer case spec is Shell S-Tech TF0870, and they filled it with Synchro Shift II 75w-80 GL-4. Here's the synchro shift PDS https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/792_spec-2017-new-pdf.168172/

Brake fluid was BG DOT 4, but they also added some sort of "conditioner". Further they added some "ethanol treatment" fuel additive.

I'm really surprised a BMW dealership would be using off brand and out-of-spec products. Should I be worried about the transfer case fluid at all? I know that has a chain drive and wet clutch so I am thinking the fluid friction properties might be particularly important for clutch wear.
NO, NO NO NO NO NO!
NO WAY!

Back