BMW Dealership using BG Products for Driveline & Brakes

Transfer Case fluid in BMW’s is very specific. Even Redline that like to offer anything for BMW, was waiting like 12 years to introduce xDrive fluid. So far, ONLY two aftermarket fluids I would use are Motul and Redline.

And what conditioner for brake fluid? What garbage is that?

Transfer Case fluid in BMW’s is very specific. Even Redline that like to offer anything for BMW, was waiting like 12 years to introduce xDrive fluid. So far, ONLY two aftermarket fluids I would use are Motul and Redline.

And what conditioner for brake fluid? What garbage is that?
Agree...just change the brake fluid.

Its pretty clear that the only reason they would have to use BG fluids instead of BMW fluids would be to cut the cost of using the BMW fluids. As a dealership that sells a service plan, they keep the money paid for the plan, and they absorb the costs of the services performed.

Bottom line is they used a lower cost fluid to save them money. From what I've been told by a bmw tech I knew from high school, they don't get much of a discount for parts and fluid. Said the dealership has a very high cost for parts and fluids.

The only experience I have with BG is their snake oil additives that are supposed to improve xxx. Which should I not look at their other products in the same way?
It doesn't work that way. For warranty and service plans, approved fluids must be used.

But for customer-pay, non-warranty work, it is dealer discretion.

Hello! Recently bought a 2017 BMW X5 with 50k miles on it. About 4 months ago the previous owner got a 50k miles service done at the dealership. Upon closer inspection to what was actually performed on the vehicle, it looks like the dealer used BG products from the front and rear differentials, transfer case and brakes. I would have thought a BMW dealership would use BMW products...

Front Diff spec is BMW Rear Hypoid Oil G2 75w-85 GL-5, they filled it with BG Ultra-Guard LS 75w-140 GL-5.
Front Diff spec is BMW Rear Hypoid Oil G3 75w-80 GL-5, they filled it with BG Ultra-Guard LS 75w-140 GL-5.
Holy efficiency loss! I am going to get some 75w-85 GL-5 and redo both.

Transfer case spec is Shell S-Tech TF0870, and they filled it with Synchro Shift II 75w-80 GL-4. Here's the synchro shift PDS https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/792_spec-2017-new-pdf.168172/

Brake fluid was BG DOT 4, but they also added some sort of "conditioner". Further they added some "ethanol treatment" fuel additive.

I'm really surprised a BMW dealership would be using off brand and out-of-spec products. Should I be worried about the transfer case fluid at all? I know that has a chain drive and wet clutch so I am thinking the fluid friction properties might be particularly important for clutch wear.
I have owned a few BMWs and driven many, the service techs will use whatever the Service Manager provides them, Congratulations on the BMW the Ultimate Driving Machine.

I’m
It doesn't work that way. For warranty and service plans, approved fluids must be used.

But for customer-pay, non-warranty work, it is dealer discretion.
yeah that’s what they said. The invoice says Customer requested the driveline service.

I use Serra in Okemos. They also use BG as A BMW dealer. FYI, svc managers at both are brothers.

I have had trans and rear diff done with BG. Still need to do front and trsfr case plus power steering.
Good information here. The service manager I spoke to stated he’s been there 13 years and they like to change the drivetrain fluids at 50k to prevent future problems and failures. I assume he’s seen thousands of BMWs come through and hundreds get this service. I assume if it was a problem they would have changed something over the 13 years of doing it…

I emailed BG headquarters asking what the recommended products are for my 2017 X5 out of curiousity.

Reactions: JXW
Explanation please...............
I wrote short explanation above. BG doesn’t have ANY product approved to be used in BMW vehicles. And I am still waiting for someone to explain me “conditioner” for brake fluid.
Their products are scam. They took playbook from Liqui Moly.

VW dealerships use their products to flush cooling system and have huge issues with stuck heater cores.

I wrote short explanation above. BG doesn’t have ANY product approved to be used in BMW vehicles. And I am still waiting for someone to explain me “conditioner” for brake fluid.
Their products are scam. They took playbook from Liqui Moly.

VW dealerships use their products to flush cooling system and have huge issues with stuck heater cores.
The TDI heater core issues are not caused by anything other than VW's poor design. The heater core comes right off the EGR cooler. Great for winter heat, poor for heater core longevity.

In general, BG products are of fairly high quality. If they say thar their GL-4 is suitable for the transfer case I would not have any reservations. They are in the business of selling services and making money. It's hard to make money if there are a ton of comebacks caused by poor product.

Good information here. The service manager I spoke to stated he’s been there 13 years and they like to change the drivetrain fluids at 50k to prevent future problems and failures. I assume he’s seen thousands of BMWs come through and hundreds get this service. I assume if it was a problem they would have changed something over the 13 years of doing it…

I emailed BG headquarters asking what the recommended products are for my 2017 X5 out of curiousity.
VW has huge issues with clogged heater cores using BG products.
They offered me that service during water pump recall. I told him I know they have issues with their products and that if they use anything in coolant system besides regular coolant, I won’t take car from them.
The service advisor td me: “yeah, I know, we had those issues.” So, they are selling products though they know it is causing problems.

The TDI heater core issues are not caused by anything other than VW's poor design. The heater core comes right off the EGR cooler. Great for winter heat, poor for heater core longevity.

In general, BG products are of fairly high quality. If they say thar their GL-4 is suitable for the transfer case I would not have any reservations. They are in the business of selling services and making money. It's hard to make money if there are a ton of comebacks caused by poor product.
Nope, this is on Tiguan! Which doesn’t have those issues.

Problem is that BMW has specific requirements behind transfer case fluid. It is not simply GL requirement.

Problem is that BMW has specific requirements behind transfer case fluid. It is not simply GL requirement.
I’m sure majority of those requirements revolve around the slipperiness and quality of additives so it does not break down quickly with heat (towing/aggressive driving) and the wet clutch friction characteristics are as designed.

I’m sure majority of those requirements revolve around the slipperiness and quality of additives so it does not break down quickly with heat (towing/aggressive driving) and the wet clutch friction characteristics are as designed.
If true I wonder how BG Products (or anyone else for that matter) know what BMW's requirements are?

If true I wonder how BG Products (or anyone else for that matter) know what BMW's requirements are?
It's a pretty common component across a number of makes and models. I'm sure they can manufacture a fluid to meet TF 0870. Other manufacturers can and do. I'm running Rock Oil TF 0870 in my Touareg now.

It's a pretty common component across a number of makes and models. I'm sure they can manufacture a fluid to meet TF 0870. Other manufacturers can and do. I'm running Rock Oil TF 0870 in my Touareg now.
Again, it took Redline 12 years to offer TF0870 fluid. I personally wouldn’t use in that TC anything but DTF-1. His differentials are going to be fine.

Back