Blue Jeans

OK, been buying the Wranger regular fit jeans for years. 7 belt loops, thick made, and durable. Well, now the thick part has went thin, I mean, really thin. Seems they no longer make a good regular thickness jean. They have a flex waist jean that is a thinner fabric, and now the regular ones are just as thin. So, does anyone have any recommendations for a good fitting, nice looking standard (not relaxed), 7 loop jean that actually has some material in itself? Have tried Lee (hate the fit).

Kimes Ranch I didn’t say they were cheap.
20220115_141626.jpg

Last edited:
Buy online.
Diamond Gusset
Round House
Have you tried the Wrangler Cowboy Cut? Not found at Walmart. You’ll have to order them.

Levis are the worst. As for buying online, I have no issue with that, except the time it takes to order, receive, not know what I'm going to get. Hence my question for opinions and direction.
Are the cowbot cuts thick as well? Never heard of Kimes Ranch.

You want jeans with cotton done on an old fashioned shuttle loom.

The high dollar "1947", retro.. special edition jeans are often such jeans.

The cheapest with such construction are $88. This company sells varying weights.

I quit wearing jeans for the most part because I lost weight and what I have is too large. Was a 32X34 with a belt.
After getting some track pants, it will be very hard for me to go back to stiff old jeans.

Last edited:

I've been buying Ariat from my local farm store. Seem well made.
Gave up on Levi's a few years ago. Still have a couple of Carhartt's I wear for shop work.

If you like overpriced jeans, made with thin cotton in third world countries employing people at slave wages.

Levis went to the dark side years ago. Complete garbage.
I buy on sale at Costco for about $23. I know retail is more like $60. No thank you...
The slave wages thing? That's a tough one, for sure.

I buy on sale at Costco for about $23. I know retail is more like $60. No thank you...
The slave wages thing? That's a tough one, for sure.
Retail is closer to $70. At least for the 501s I used to love.

First, Levi’s went to Mexico, then Egypt, then Indonesia and Vietnam. They got thinner each time.

I really loathe what they’ve become: a company that claims to be American, while making everything overseas in the cheapest shop they can find, reducing the quality over time, while raising the price.

A hollow, fake, shell that is focused on fashion and profit.

I‘ll never buy another pair.

I’ve turned to Filson. Still make much of their product line in Seattle. Very high quality. Traditional materials and design.

Not cheap.

The best never is.

Retail is closer to $70. At least for the 501s I used to love.

First, Levi’s went to Mexico, then Egypt, then Indonesia and Vietnam. They got thinner each time.

I really loathe what they’ve become: a company that claims to be American, while making everything overseas in the cheapest shop they can find, reducing the quality over time, while raising the price.

A hollow, fake, shell that is focused on fashion and profit.

I‘ll never buy another pair.

I’ve turned to Filson. Still make much of their product line in Seattle. Very high quality. Traditional materials and design.

Not cheap.

The best never is.
Astro, your point is well taken. I prefer to buy American made where reasonable. I would guess that as a country we wear less than 5% American made clothing, if that.
That's a key reason I bought the Model 3 as it is built 15 miles up the road in Fremont, at the shuttered NUMMI plant. I wanted to support my local community; workers beyond the Silicon Valley machine.
We are in a global economy; companies are in it for the profit. We do the best we can.

I have never heard of Filson clothing. I will have to check them out.

You want jeans with cotton done on an old fashioned shuttle loom.

The high dollar "1947", retro.. special edition jeans are often such jeans.

The cheapest with such construction are $88. This company sells varying weights.

I quit wearing jeans for the most part because I lost weight and what I have is too large. Was a 32X34 with a belt.
After getting some track pants, it will be very hard for me to go back to stiff old jeans.
These guys are pretty much sold out of everything.

One thing about Filson, their stuff is extremely durable. I know someone who bought one of their coats around 40 or so years ago. He still wears it. It’s a wool blend very tight knit coat.

Filson. Wears Like Iron.

I usually get Levi's 505 Rigid, on sale around $30. AFAIK they are the least processed Levis you can get, at least find near that price on sale, and probably closer to $40 avg sale price by now.

They are stiff, seem thinner than they used to be, but get thicker with a few washings. I'm never going to be one of those people who think it's best to rarely wash your jeans, I do after a single day, maybe couple days if roughing it. They shrink and that makes them thicker still.... shrink to fit or something. Then again they may have moved production and are thinner now, last time I bought a few pairs was over 6 years ago.

Thanks @JeffKeryk - Not everything of Filson's is made in the US, but I took a tour of their factory in Seattle while on a layover once, and they still make much of their product line in the US. They're committed to the US manufacture of goods and often partner with companies like Danner (boots) and Pendleton (wool) to make products for Filson.

I've been very happy with their clothing line - a "Tin Cloth" jacket with wool liner (made in the USA), several shirts, and several pairs of their dry tin cloth 5 pocket pants, which I wear in place of jeans. Filson has now come out with a line of jeans. Of course, my size sold out quickly, but I will try a pair when I can.

I wear the George brand from Walmart. Just bought a new pair....$10.94 regular fit. I think they may be made by Wrangler, but I am not for sure about that. I have a few Lee Classic pair of dressier jeans. I do know that the Lee Classic's seem to fit better than the regular Lee's.

I have never had a pair, but I have heard good things about Duluth Trading jeans as well.

Back