Blue Jeans

You want jeans with cotton done on an old fashioned shuttle loom.

The high dollar "1947", retro.. special edition jeans are often such jeans.

The cheapest with such construction are $88. This company sells varying weights.

I quit wearing jeans for the most part because I lost weight and what I have is too large. Was a 32X34 with a belt.
After getting some track pants, it will be very hard for me to go back to stiff old jeans.
I have a pair of Tellason jeans made with Blue Pine selvedge denim from their now defunct North Carolina loom. Found them at a consignment shop for $20. Sold for $250 originally.

I tried on a pair of jeans when I was probably 8 or 9. Never worn a pair since. Not sure what people see in them. It's like wearing sandpaper. If you think they are hard to find, try looking for corduroy pants in the last few years.

I like the fit of Wranglers too and I got some in the last year from Sears online store. Two others that are very similar are the Magellan from Academy Sports and used to like the ones at Sam's Club. I am not sure if they are still the same though.

Another vote for Wrangler Cowboy Cut. Outstanding long lasting jeans. All the farm stores have them, I buy them online at murdochs.com mostly.

Duluth have great stuff.. but 3rd world country made at nuts prices.
I have been gifted their Dry on the fly, firehose ultimate flex, and coolmax cargos all fit great and comfortable.
I was pretty happy with TSC store brand jeans but they discontinued them... new ones are called "ridgecut" and no experience with those.

Last edited:
Levi’s 501 shrink to fit button-fly (36x36) because that’s the only jeans I’ve ever been comfortable in. The quality gets worse every year.

Huckberry has very good quality jeans, including stretchy ones that are suitable for very active people. I mostly wear Flint &Tinder chinos. Still looking for the perfect cargo pants.

Bought some Eddie Bauer from Costco that fit decent. I don't wear them often though as I'm one of those clowns wearing shorts year around

I bought some JC Penny brand jeans and very happy with the quality.

They were around $20 each.

I can't remember when I bought new jeans. I have been buying nice ones at the Goodwill. It might be worth a look for you on getting the well constructed ones at a fraction of the price.

Not USA made but I love Rural King jeans they are very durable from my experience. I crawl around under vehicles with them all the time. They are comfortable too. Used to only wear Wrangler “U” shape fit then I realized instead of paying $20-$30 at Walmart I could get the Rural King ones for $10. Never had a belt loop snap or anything like that. As for belt loop count I’ve never counted that before 🤣.

If you like overpriced jeans, made with thin cotton in third world countries employing people at slave wages.

Levis went to the dark side years ago. Complete garbage.

Up until the 90s, Levi's had a strict policy that all of their jeans (even some specialty Dockers jeans) would be made in the US. However, I saw some tags in the 80s and 90s that indicated which factories and maybe even who sewed them. Judging by the names, possibly cheaper immigrant labor. Mostly factories in Texas near the Mexican border. Still - the traditional 501 shrink to fit would last almost forever. I did see some quality control issues like where the stitching of the back pattern was off. Seemed like it was an individual quirk of the worker though. The last Levi's owned factory in the US was in San Francisco. When they still had a lot of American factories, that one was reserved for making development and for the Japanese market that paid a ridiculously high price for the cache of being made at HQ. All factories have a code on the button rivet, and San Francisco was "000".

This doesn't list the factory codes, but they're certainly upfront about who they're buying from. Looks like they actually have a couple of company owned factories now, in Poland and South Africa. I don't see Russia on the current list. Once I bought a pair of their "Levi Strauss Signature" jeans sold at discount stores, and that was Russian made. It fit horribly though.

They're supposedly using some US production through contract manufacturers, but only for ridiculously expensive "selvedge" jeans. They've also got some that are made in Japan using Japanese produced selvedge denim. Some of this is pretty cheap on clearance, but they sell out quickly at those prices.

Last edited:
I dunno. Dickies any good? I have some of their striped overalls since I was hoping for something that closely matched my kid's Oshkosh overalls. The latter used to be popular at my high school when they still had adult sizes.

I didn't wear them myself, but once I got my kind Carhartt. Saw them in adult sizes at Tractor Supply.

Recently purchased a pair of Wrangler's and a pair of Levi's. Arrived the same day. I'll be darned, they were identical. Right down to the streaks in the fabric, belt loops and the pockets. One brand called the color Icicle, the other named it Waterfall. They even fit the same. Really nutso.

I've always preferred the Wrangler fit most of my life. But I agree that the thickness and quality of even their "better" line has dropped. They seem to have less than half the lifespan that they did not long ago. Levi's don't fit me that well and it sounds like they may have gone down as well. They certainly sell for more.

There used to be a very large outlet complex nearby for decades that no longer exists. Lee clothing was one of their brands. They sold "seconds" of Lee jeans for $4 to $9 depending on which time span. Lee never fit me at all, but they used to be sturdy. The ancient Sears branded work jeans; the "Roebuck" was incredibly long wearing. I went to Duluth firehose pants for heavy work years ago and they seem nearly indestructible. Not at all stylish, however.

Back