Blown Engine Pics: What went wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certain cylinders are more prone to this condition in different engines. Depending on intake, water jacket, or head design, one cylinder may experience a leaner to hotter mixture then the others. Plus it could have been happening in all of the cylinders and that was the first to fail.

-T

I looked further at your pictures and I looked under hood of my '95 2.5 port FI.

If the '95 intake manifold is identical to yours, I see cyl 3 and 4 fed by same runner. There both a vacuum port and vacuum sensor on this runner. Leaks on either will cause 3 and 4 to go lean.

Looking at your pics, cyl 4 exh valve is black because the cyl isn't firing with the holed piston. Cyl 3 exh valve shows the whitest, hottest conditions. Note that even the intake valve in #3 is showing signs of running hotter than the others. Interesting because cylinder #3 shares the intake runner with number 4. Cyl 1 and 2 exh. valves are darker gray, cooler running valves. I would expect more consistency in a port injected engine between the exh valves.

Look hard at the intake manifold for leaks at the head near 3 and 4, and check the vacuum port (whats hooked to it) for leaks. Since you have a distributor be safe and check ign timing also.

[ September 24, 2004, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: tpi ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back