BITOG wishes for 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish that the Rockauto discount codes were condensed into one thread instead of a new post whenever someone gets one. All you need to post is the code and the expiration date. Something like the "Post your latest XXXXX" threads.

I wish that the Rockauto discount codes were condensed into one thread instead of a new post whenever someone gets one. All you need to post is the code and the expiration date. Something like the "Post your latest XXXXX" threads.
Build a table and make it so....

My wish is that everyone who gets something out of this forum donates a couple of bucks to see it into perpetuity.
Agreed

My 2024 BITOG wish is for tighter moderation control over the moderators. Often times some of them don't practice what they preach.

Wayne I'll take a look into the photo gallery, sounds neat.

ease of use. I searched the other evening for a thread I use a lot. I got everything else but what I wanted. In my 30 years in forums have yet to find a search function that doesn't frustrate.
Search is difficult. I’m a developer for an open source forum software and holy cow, getting search to work right and consistently is not an easy task.

Search is difficult. I’m a developer for an open source forum software and holy cow, getting search to work right and consistently is not an easy task.
Agreed. Google makes it look simple. They have had decades and employ herds of programmers working every day to make it work extremely well.

Do you all remember BITOG search before Elasticsearch? Now our search is so much better than is was back then. It's still not like google, but then no other search is like google.

I've always "wished" there was no time limit on editing posts, titles, etc. here.
You do essentially have unlimited editing abilities. When you post limit time expires, just send a mod alert and ask for more time, the edit time is very simple for a mod to change.

We limit edit times partially because if we didn't, spam bots would edit their post and add a link. We have seen this happen in posts that were years old.

You do essentially have unlimited editing abilities. When you post limit time expires, just send a mod alert and ask for more time, the edit time is very simple for a mod to change.

We limit edit times partially because if we didn't, spam bots would edit their post and add a link. We have seen this happen in posts that were years old.
Ahhhhh ok makes sense now and thank you for explaining that. All good then.

I wish for world peace, but I found the insert image button this morning. :)
Ok, I'm not getting this issue. I insert images all the time but just click on attach files button on the bottom, grab it, then hit insert. Is this an issue? I also see the insert images button up top as well that does the same thing I guess less one step?

Ok, I'm not getting this issue. I insert images all the time but just click on attach files button on the bottom, grab it, then hit insert. Is this an issue? I also see the insert images button up top as well that does the same thing I guess less one step?
The "Attach files" button is not meant for photos, it's meant for files like pdf or zip, however we do not allow files to be uploaded. We want photos to be uploaded with the "Insert Image" button only. I'm trying to remove the "Attach files" button, but it's breaking things elsewhere. When I figure out how to properly remove "Attach files" it will no longer be an option.

The "Attach files" button is not meant for photos, it's meant for files like pdf or zip, however we do not allow files to be uploaded. We want photos to be uploaded with the "Insert Image" button only. I'm trying to remove the "Attach files" button, but it's breaking things elsewhere. When I figure out how to properly remove "Attach files" it will no longer be an option.
Ah ok, got it now. I also note in DM convos you can't insert images which would be helpful.

I wish folks would actually honor the agreement they made - to follow the terms and conditions of the site - when they signed up.

Most of the moderation work on the site is caused by folks who are unwilling, or unable, to follow that agreement. Better membership behaviour would make things a lot less contentious, and make for much less moderation.

There are three posts in this thread alone that fail to meet that standard.

For reference: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/complaint-process.310544/

I just wish for everyone to be nice to everyone here. Luckily they are most of the time but one member got downright dirty with me last year and I ended up getting in trouble for it even though I didn’t cause so let’s be nice everyone. And I agree with what Nick1994 said too that is a big part of the problem and why I got in trouble but the causing member didn’t.

It would also be cool to have a sports section but I can see that going in a bad direction so I can understand why we don’t and probably won’t because I know some people that get downright mean if you don’t agree with them on sports. Just a thought of course. I guess you could post about it in the off topic section I just hate being one to start threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back