BITOG wishes for 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
I'll start with a couple of my wishes for BITOG in 2024.

• I wish that photos were uploaded with the "Insert Image" button on the editor menu, not the "Insert Attachment" button.
    • We don't allow any file attachment, such as pdf, zip, doc, xls.
    • [edit Jan 16, 2024] I just figured out how to hide the "Insert Attachment" button. My first wish is granted
    • [edit Jan 17, 2024] We found a different way to always insert photos in the post, so we didn't have to remove the "Insert Attachment" button.
  • I wish more members would use our photo galleries when uploading many images.
    • Gallery images are reusable, images that are inserted are not. This would save storage space.
What are your wishes?

Last edited:
I'll start with a couple of my wishes for BITOG in 2024.

• I wish that photos were uploaded with the "Insert Image" button on the editor menu, not the "Insert Attachment" button.
    • We don't allow any file attachment, such as pdf, zip, doc, xls.
    • [edit] I just figured out how to hide the "Insert Attachment" button. My first wish is granted :)
  • I wish more members would use our photo galleries when uploading many images.
    • Gallery images are reusable, images that are inserted are not. This would save storage space.
What are your wishes?
Oh. Didn't know. Works on PC

Will try on phone

Oh. Didn't know. Works on PC

Will try on phone
IMG_6881.jpeg

Works on phone. No harder or easier. Thanks

I am kind of a smartbutt sometimes, but that's mostly because you either have to be a smartbutt to put up with half of the nonsense posted on the forum or you roll over and disappear due to the nonsense you get shoveled upon you in heaps when you ask a question. Lots of new people here just beginning to try to understand how stuff works and if there really is something better for their road baby.

We were all ignorant at one point, then we learned.

I wish people understood that.

I wish people wouldn't treat BITOG like an extension of FB, IG and X, but that's unlikely to ever come true.
I wish people would follow the rules here; I'd be fine if we never needed Moderators and I was out of a job. Again - unlikely to come true.

On the positive side, I do wish all here nothing but the best in their 2024 endeavors, wherever life takes them!

Is there a way members can have control over removing their posts? Or even deleting their own account?

Is there a way members can have control over removing their posts?
Yes, you can edit your post and remove the content. If your edit time has expired, just send a mod alert asking for your edit time to be extended. Or, just ask in the mod alert that we delete the post.

Or even deleting their own account?
No, this has serious database implications and is not possible.

Last edited:
Yes, you can edit your post and remove the content. If your edit time has expired, just send a mod alert asking for your edit time to be extended.

No, this has serious database implications and is not possible.
Is there a way for users who have asked for their account to be deleted to maintain their user name so their posts can be searched? Currently the only way I know is to keep track of the threads where the posts you wanted to reference were located, and then manually scroll the whole thread until it is found. I know this is rare, but it has tripped me up sometimes.

As far as 2024 goes, I hope board membership increases and brings additional insight to the general population; that a couple industry giants become sponsors, and that they have the same enthusiasm for oils that we have; and maybe we get a widely-respected testing lab that offers a BITOG rate for OAs and more advanced tests we only occasionally see because of costs! Also, that all members have a safe and happy 2024! This was a wish list, right? 👍🏻

What would you like to be changed?
ease of use. I searched the other evening for a thread I use a lot. I got everything else but what I wanted. In my 30 years in forums have yet to find a search function that doesn't frustrate.

How about a region section like the RV board? I know you have enough on your plate, but it is nice to have sometimes.

How about a region section like the RV board? I know you have enough on your plate, but it is nice to have sometimes.
I wish people "had to" put an approximate location in their profile... and not "USA." There are regional differences in batteries and auto parts chains, and our recommendations would be more to-the-point if we had that info.

ease of use. I searched the other evening for a thread I use a lot. I got everything else but what I wanted. In my 30 years in forums have yet to find a search function that doesn't frustrate.
With search, the output is highly dependent on the input. I have to search for threads occasionally and sometimes have to refine my terms, because I'm not getting the correct key words. I will also refine the search by confining the results to a time range, forum, user, etc.

With search, the output is highly dependent on the input. I have to search for threads occasionally and sometimes have to refine my terms, because I'm not getting the correct key words. I will also refine the search by confining the results to a time range, forum, user, etc.
Indeed. Quite a few subject lines have little or only obscure reference to the actual subject of the post.

What would we use the regional forums for?
On some of the older boards I frequent it was good way for people to close to each other to get together, work on cars or just talk about like drives and happenings. It was how I found a group to race my F-bodies with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back