BITOG members who are employed in automotive/oil industry

I feel the same way 100%. I have learned something most days, if not everyday in this industry. I haven’t been at this nearly as long as you have or many others here have but I’ve seen some things too again probably not as many as you. I’ve seen people burn the shop to the ground, seen cars fall off lifts, seen customers drive into the pit that we had at my first shop. We had to let one of our guys go because he couldn’t grasp the fact that all fluids didn’t go in the master cylinder and refused to learn anything then when you tried to show him he would laugh. I don’t know if he was playing us or if he really thought that. His response was I’m ASE certified so there isn’t a thing I don’t know. My boss decided it was time to part ways with him after about a week. I’m ASE certified Master tech as well but I don’t know everything. I do mainly inspections but I still see a lot of things happen. Heck I’ve even seen the master tech who has been in the industry 30 years get tripped up on something and usually what we do at my shop is we all get together and give our input and knowledge and most of the time someone can figure out what to check next or replace if needed. That’s why I hate when I see others talking down about the older mechanics who ask for help. 🙂.
That’s a great response, and I didn’t realize you were a master tech, but isn’t it something...how little you can know even being a master tech? Like you said, Ive seen so many master techs screw so many things up. Then again I’ve seen some master techs that are amazing. They are hard tests to pass, I’d say they are some of the hardest tests I’ve ever taken, but they don’t guarantee you’re going to be able to fix anything.

PDR is an interesting trade. Seems to be really big with the used car industry. I have an acquaintance that does it...he owns his own business and loves it.
I love fixing dents, but the industry as a whole has really been down trending over the last 5 years or so. Wholesale pricing has hit rock bottom in most markets, and i’m not sure where we will go from here. Most dealerships dont care what your work looks like so long as you are cheap, and i can assure you there is no shortage of bad dent guys that will do it for cheap. Retail still has some meat on the bone, but it is getting harder and harder to land retail customers. As society trends towards “just throw it away and buy a new one” less people are taking pride in what they drive, and could care less about keeping their vehicle in good shape. Hail repair is where i make my money, but its a life style, and the “brokers” are a real problem. Pretty much live my life on the edge everyday, but I am my own boss, and i make my own schedule, its just getting harder and harder to make it. The days of the Ferrari driving, jet pack owning dent guys are coming to a close. Just too many people do it now adays.

I feel the same way 100%. I have learned something most days, if not everyday in this industry. I haven’t been at this nearly as long as you have or many others here have but I’ve seen some things too again probably not as many as you. I’ve seen people burn the shop to the ground, seen cars fall off lifts, seen customers drive into the pit that we had at my first shop. We had to let one of our guys go because he couldn’t grasp the fact that all fluids didn’t go in the master cylinder and refused to learn anything then when you tried to show him he would laugh. I don’t know if he was playing us or if he really thought that. His response was I’m ASE certified so there isn’t a thing I don’t know. My boss decided it was time to part ways with him after about a week. I’m ASE certified Master tech as well but I don’t know everything. I do mainly inspections but I still see a lot of things happen. Heck I’ve even seen the master tech who has been in the industry 30 years get tripped up on something and usually what we do at my shop is we all get together and give our input and knowledge and most of the time someone can figure out what to check next or replace if needed. That’s why I hate when I see others talking down about the older mechanics who ask for help. 🙂.
Getting deep. I'm going to have to put my boots on.

Grew up in Europe. Got my first car at the age of 15 (Skoda with rear engine which was indestructible).
Came to US in 81. Worked on a pipeline for Alaska in Long Beach as a welder.
Moved to Bay Area in 83 and got job in Hayward at Davis Walker Corp. where I made the most money ever. $45,000 annually equivalent to around $160,000 today. Teamster union eventually bankrupted the company with never ending demands of higher wages and benefits.

Moved to Carson City in 87 and got job at Mallory Inc. where I stayed for 16 years. My first exposure to automotive business.
First as a cam grinder in Erson Cams department. After couple of years doing that I moved to CNC dept. where I eventually became lead programmer responsible for 23 lathe and mills all Mazak. Company went through few changes in ownership during those 16 years after Boots Mallory got killed in his Ferrari in Washoe Walley.
Guy who owned Supper Shops bought it. I met Eddie Hill who was sponsored by Supper Shops few times when he came by to show off his yellow dragster. The owner eventually bankrupted the company.

Dana Corp. stepped in and bought us. After two years they decided that the aftermarket business doesn't fit their business model and sold it to Mr. Gasket. Gasket eventually closed the business and moved everything to Ohio.

I took 14 months sabbatical, learned CSS, HTML, SQL, DB Dev, JavaScript and PHP. Got well paying job using those skills and eventually retired at age 58.

Last edited:
Formally? No, only ever as a hobby.

I took Auto Mechanics while I was in High School but had already developed a reasonable amount of knowledge previously from working on antique boats, snowmobiles, lawn equipment...etc for my grandfather.

Once out of University, didn't have a heck of a lot of money so I was of course wrenching on my own vehicles. Got into the 5.0L Mustang hobby later on so did a ton of wrenching through that. Did several engine swaps and performance builds both for my own junk as well as participating in those of my friends. The 5.0L scene provided a lot of opportunity to learn about engine management and ECM functionality/logic.

In more recent years it's been back to boats, friend's vehicles and OPE as the vehicles we've owned are newer.

Following up on the thread. As I expected by the number of replies-very few are certified/master mechanics. Keep that in mind next time one asks "I want to use brand/weight oil that isn't spec'ed in my owners manual-is it OK"? And the replies are something as follows -"Use it with confidence". OR-"Your motor won't know the difference"!

Juts another day on BITOG..............

Last edited:
Following up on the thread. As I expected by the number of replies-very few are certified/master mechanics. Keep that in mind next time one asks "I want to use brand/weight oil that isn't spec'ed in my owners manual-is it OK"? And the replies are something as follows -"Use it with confidence". OR-"Your motor won't know the difference"!

Juts another day on BITOG..............
How much do "certified/master mechanics' know about tribology? Motor oil formulation? General lubricant theory?

I am sure there are a few who have studied on their own, but most have a fleeting opinion, and some biased knowledge. This is not an insult to the great profession. But it's not a deep topic of study in the course studies and exams.

Not sure why we should "keep this in mind" is all. How would a certified/master mechanic give a different/better opinion on the subject than say an engineer or formulating chemist, when asked about deviating from a manufacturer's recommendation, for example?

I love fixing dents, but the industry as a whole has really been down trending over the last 5 years or so. Wholesale pricing has hit rock bottom in most markets, and i’m not sure where we will go from here. Most dealerships dont care what your work looks like so long as you are cheap, and i can assure you there is no shortage of bad dent guys that will do it for cheap. Retail still has some meat on the bone, but it is getting harder and harder to land retail customers. As society trends towards “just throw it away and buy a new one” less people are taking pride in what they drive, and could care less about keeping their vehicle in good shape. Hail repair is where i make my money, but its a life style, and the “brokers” are a real problem. Pretty much live my life on the edge everyday, but I am my own boss, and i make my own schedule, its just getting harder and harder to make it. The days of the Ferrari driving, jet pack owning dent guys are coming to a close. Just too many people do it now adays.
That just sucks to hear, it seems like every facet of the auto industry has become like this...no meat on the bone...lot of work, lot of aggravation. Not enough reward.

Not a pro, but I’ve been wrenching since I was a kid. First with the old man and then working on my own cars. I decided however I didn’t want it to be my future and pursuit something else.
Old man was a mechanic since he was 12, once told me he wouldn’t change his profession for anything else in the world. He just loved it. So, when he passed, we put him in a toolbox.

How much do "certified/master mechanics' know about tribology? Motor oil formulation? General lubricant theory?

I am sure there are a few who have studied on their own, but most have a fleeting opinion, and some biased knowledge. This is not an insult to the great profession. But it's not a deep topic of study in the course studies and exams.

Not sure why we should "keep this in mind" is all. How would a certified/master mechanic give a different/better opinion on the subject than say an engineer or formulating chemist, when asked about deviating from a manufacturer's recommendation, for example?

The point being Pablo is they at least have experience and education when it comes to a motor. I don't disagree with your point. I just wanted to point out that many oil threads are at best pontification and (some) baseless opinion. That's what those looking for answers need to remember. That's what this thread proves.

The point being Pablo is they at least have experience and education when it comes to a motor. I don't disagree with your point. I just wanted to point out that baseless pontification and person opinion is the rule on here-not the exception. That's what those looking for answers need to remember. That's what this thread proves.
I don't think this thread proves anything really. I read this thread and see we have a number of varied and very knowledgeable folks here. Others read this thread and see most all posters are just making up credentials and tech/work history from whole cloth.

But I do agree, there is a LOT of junk on the internet as a whole with people spewing all sorts of opinions. Does occur here as well, quite often. There is no relevant content moderation, or weighing. So here like anywhere, you ALWAYS have to know if someone is bullshittttting you. Be it the vet, the mailman, the produce area tender, the donut guy, a mechanic, dude fixing your garbage disposal or the guy at AutoKing Oil is Us. I tell you, you'll be the fish if you don't know what the hook is.

None of this says the person who posted X posts back in this thread isn't a "lube god" and nails every answer. I think the point we can agree on is: reader be aware.

I got the car bug at 16, and did my first few tentative bits of maintenance starting when I was 18. Started with oil changes, and when I was 19 removed a head and took it to a machine shop to have a burnt valve replaced. This all dismayed my academic non-hands-on dad. Did an unprofitable university degree, and then worked as a tech in a tune-up and oil change shop. Was only making $3.75 an hour, so went back to school and took electonics. Worked in telecom for most of my career after that.

Funny thing, if there was one "magic bullet" question I would have asked prospective hires (hypothetically, as I was never in management), it would have been "Do you like working on your car, bike, and/or house?" I thought that those of us who enjoyed turning wrenches were a good fit in telecom design.

Retired four years now after 32 years in the wholesale lubes business. Started at Pennzoil Products Co., and went through the merger with Quaker State in '99. Five years later Shell gobbled us up. I was with them until they ended direct operations in the northeast. I finished up the last few years with the distributor that replaced them. Sales, distribution, warehousing and management. My second day on the job, I loaded empty drums on a trailer, 288 of them which were buried in three feet of snow. 😅
Lots of changes in the business between my first year and the last.

FCA Dealer tech. Hold ase master, L1 and L9 but that doesn’t mean much nowadays. I’ll be 45 this year so I’ve done this for a min

this is a hard business. The realistic tool buy in money if you actually want to work on stuff is quite high. Small percentage make reasonable money. It’s entertaining at times that’s for sure seeing and or hearing the scenarios from other techs, customers or other dealership personnel

seems like a dying breed and in 10-20 years I don’t know how many people will be around to work on this stuff. We have a shortage of young kids interested

most don’t know anything or little about oil. You may be brainwashed at one point by training that 5w20 is the only thing you can use in X engine or else type of deal we here know that’s untrue

this is the skills God gave me and I’m cashing in on them

Been doing Ford and Mazda parts for 14 years in April. Its amazing to see how the supply chain has gone downhill the past few years.
Is that because of our dependence on foreign countries who aren't necessarily our friends despite what we are being told?

Is that because of our dependence on foreign countries who aren't necessarily our friends despite what we are being told?
That might be some of it. But we have had parts on backorder more now than ever before. Some genuinely related to COVID. Others related to business relationships. Like a lot of fuel system parts on the 6.7 are on backorder. I just checked on a water pump for a 6.7 Powerstroke and it showed an estimated date off backorder in 2027 :oops:

The OP's original question was "I'm wondering as to the number of BITOG members who are directly employed in the automotive/oil and related businesses, including service, parts, tools, production, sales and such".
Not just who were mechanics or engineers.
My automotive industry experience was as a Senior Buyer for capital production & manufacturing equipment and also in support of the R&D team in purchasing specialized materials and equipment.
I had no education or training as an engineer but had a pretty good grasp of electro mechanical concepts and chemistry. And the production process, tooling requirements and the financial aspects of spending many, many millions of dollars of the company's money each year.
But my opinion on what type of oil to use has no basis on scientific research that I had an personal experience in.

Back