BITOG members who are employed in automotive/oil industry

I did auto tech in high school from 200-2003.

worked in a quick lube center 2001-2003.

when I graduated high school went to a Chrysler Jeep Hyundai Subaru dealer where I worked till about 2014. I took 1 break for about 6 months where I went to an independent shop.

now I have a government automotive repair job maintaining a government fleet.

I was a formulating Chemist, then became a quality engineer 35 years ago and somewhere 21+ years back became a knowledgeable Amsoil Dealer, now Master Jobber. The last 15+ years I worked in a rocket factory. I am now retired and run my motorized bike part business and Amsoil dealership and soon can harass my wife as she has like 3 hours until officially retired. :ROFLMAO: (y)
Hope you were using Amsoil in the rockets.

So, your the second rocket man who also sells Amsoil who has been on this site ( Tooslick ).

Just trying to have fun....I have been using Amsoil for over 26 years.

Nope, in IT.

I had an interest when I was younger for getting into cars and while I’m still young (26) my body just can’t handle that kind of work. My grandpa did it for 40+ years and ruined his body. My dad has now for 30+ years and his body is worn out too.

I have worked in different aspects of the automotive industry for the past 25 years. Sales, service, collision, reconditioning. I am currently a Pdr technician, so im still working on cars everyday.....i did have a stint as a ruff neck on an offshore drilling rig for a few years back in the early 2000’s. That was wild.

So are you getting a CDL?

I had a license to drive busses and coaches, from when I was a bus mechanic. I finally took up a job driving busses now. It's crazy that for the same hours per week, I can make 30% more as a driver. And unlike in the dealership, overtime is time and a half and gets paid, whereas I could only recuperate the time before.

I had a license to drive busses and coaches, from when I was a bus mechanic. I finally took up a job driving busses now. It's crazy that for the same hours per week, I can make 30% more as a driver. And unlike in the dealership, overtime is time and a half and gets paid, whereas I could only recuperate the time before.
Congrats!

Highschool years spent working at local full service Chevron station - must have done 1000 oil & filter changes while working p/t over 5 years.

Education in Mechanical Engineering, then moved myself to SW Ontario and worked most of my career in Automotive metal stamping. Did sales and estimating, project management, ISO14001 Manager, Purchasing. Travelled OEM's and Europe for automotive business.

Following this thread-seeing how it's two pages long is pretty much confirming the suspicion about most on here being masters of pontification and opinions.

If everybody on here had actual experience then it would probably be pretty dull on here.

Last edited:
Does maintaining your own vehicles count? Whether it does or not, there are certain BITOG members whose advice is golden and treasured by peons like me. I won't name any names, that way everyone can feel great. This site is one of the Great Treasures in the internet section of the automotive world.

PS My wife would swear I'm employed in the garage. Or at least addicted.

I have worked in different aspects of the automotive industry for the past 25 years. Sales, service, collision, reconditioning. I am currently a Pdr technician, so im still working on cars everyday.....i did have a stint as a ruff neck on an offshore drilling rig for a few years back in the early 2000’s. That was wild.
PDR is an interesting trade. Seems to be really big with the used car industry. I have an acquaintance that does it...he owns his own business and loves it.

ASE master tech with 25 years experience. Left shortly to get my bachelors degree. Seen a lot over the years. All I can say is...any technician that tells you he knows everything or knows more than you, is probably not only a jerk, but a liar. No one in this trade knows everything. And anyone that knows “a lot”? Wait five minutes...the trade will have a 1,000 new things that no one knows how to fix or figure out.

ASE master tech with 25 years experience. Left shortly to get my bachelors degree. Seen a lot over the years. All I can say is...any technician that tells you he knows everything or knows more than you, is probably not only a jerk, but a liar. No one in this trade knows everything. And anyone that knows “a lot”? Wait five minutes...the trade will have a 1,000 new things that no one knows how to fix or figure out.
I feel the same way 100%. I have learned something most days, if not everyday in this industry. I haven’t been at this nearly as long as you have or many others here have but I’ve seen some things too again probably not as many as you. I’ve seen people burn the shop to the ground, seen cars fall off lifts, seen customers drive into the pit that we had at my first shop. We had to let one of our guys go because he couldn’t grasp the fact that all fluids didn’t go in the master cylinder and refused to learn anything then when you tried to show him he would laugh. I don’t know if he was playing us or if he really thought that. His response was I’m ASE certified so there isn’t a thing I don’t know. My boss decided it was time to part ways with him after about a week. I’m ASE certified Master tech as well but I don’t know everything. I do mainly inspections but I still see a lot of things happen. Heck I’ve even seen the master tech who has been in the industry 30 years get tripped up on something and usually what we do at my shop is we all get together and give our input and knowledge and most of the time someone can figure out what to check next or replace if needed. That’s why I hate when I see others talking down about the older mechanics who ask for help. 🙂.

Back