BITOG Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
11) I got this oil for a nickel a quart at autozone and it's two grades off my spec but I'm gonna make it fit, or mix it with something its polar opposite because it'll mix into an 8w35.

Now that's funny!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The tone of postings started out very calm and dignified with Bob Winters leading the way. Then the tone turned a bit argumentative and from there it turned down right ugly. Soon things became more even tempered as the tormentors left and new members joined. Now it's time to see what the future will bring.

Yea one-eyed. The issue being the posts truly reflect what we see here on BITOG, maybe a little bit of exaggeration.....but not much!

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
It has finally dawned on me that BITOG members are not the same. For your consideration, here are the categories they fall into:

1. Extenders - "If I use the right mix of Amsoil and Lucas, I think I can move this OCI from 25k to 30k"
2. Maintainers - "I split the factory OCI reco in half, cause I want my 93 Camry to last."
3. Pragmatists - "oil is oil, you'll do fine with the cheapest in spec dino oil, and if you want to go crazy, you can buy Supertech Syn."
4. Mobil 1ers - "Whether you drive a Corvette, a Cummins or a McLaren, this product is your best, never fail, always appropriate choice."
5. Engineers/Scientists "Blah blah blah centistokes blah blah."
6. Crazies (one of many iterations of this) "My dad said to drop the pan at every oil change and to always go with 20W50, so that's the plan with my new Prius."
7. Thinnies "Thick oil can't flow into small places, so I am running 0 W 16 in my new Hellcat. If thick is good, thin must be better."
8. Ignorami "Never change your oil, just add a quart here and there."
9. Esotericists "Those few of us who have figured it out know that Brad Penn Racing oil really has the magic.
10. Marketers - "Amsoil is not sold by big oil and has the engineering worked out."

I am a combo of 3,2 & 7.

1. Thin oil will kill your engine

2. Thick oil will kill your engine

3. Either way, ignore the OM

4. A synthetic oil should always be used in any application for any OCI

5. Never mix oils

6. Always mix oils because you can only obtain an optimal blend by doing so

7. VI is the holy grail

8. Low NOACK is the holy grail

9. Neither 7 nor 8 matter. Only MRV matters, even in CA and FL

10. A 0W rating is always beneficial

11. A 0W rating only matters to those within visual range of the arctic circle

Originally Posted By: CKN
12. All dealers are bad and out to get you.

13. Owners should have the option of ordering cars without airbags, ABS, collision avoidance systems, or any other safety features I deem unnecessary because I am such a good driver I don't need them.
Will you pay to fix mine of they break?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
1. Thin oil will kill your engine

2. Thick oil will kill your engine

3. Either way, ignore the OM

4. A synthetic oil should always be used in any application for any OCI

5. Never mix oils

6. Always mix oils because you can only obtain an optimal blend by doing so

7. VI is the holy grail

8. Low NOACK is the holy grail

9. Neither 7 nor 8 matter. Only MRV matters, even in CA and FL

10. A 0W rating is always beneficial

11. A 0W rating only matters to those within visual range of the arctic circle

12. Never pay ANY attention to what the owner's manual for the same car sold in a non-CAFE country says. Never.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Now make one about oil filters.
grin.gif

+1
grin.gif
banana2.gif

#3 here with my business stuff and equipment(conventional dino fleet oils on both)...#4 on my personal vehicles but in a SOPUS flavor..PYB or PPPP.......never had an oil related failure with either approach.

Last edited:
I guess I am a #2 guy, or close too it. I believe in cheap insurance. Use a quality oil with the correct factory spec and change it before the MM goes off.

Purplites- Royal Purple is the only oil they will ever use, even though it costs way too much for that purple dye.

You forgot the 1 million milers.

I want my engine to go 1 million miles without changing the piston rings , bearings and cams.

Last edited:
With Ecoboost engines in the corral, I'm a #2. Everything else, I'll let the car tell me when to do it. My 74 Jeep, once a year, the odometer doesn't work.
Everything but the jeep gets A3 oils, he gets whatever hi mileage oil is on sale.

Somebody left out the "thickies" and the HDEO's of which I'm moderately in that camp on both counts.

Those of us who own and drive cars that come into our possession with 100,000 have a different regimen from those who buy new, or even moderately used
laugh.gif

Never had an oil related engine failure in 50 odd years of wrenching and rebuilding motors (cars, boats, tractors, motorcycles...). So might be a know-it-all, but I'll let other folk learn their own lessons
laugh.gif

And where do the by-pass filter'ers come in to this equation ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TomYoung
It has finally dawned on me that BITOG members are not the same. For your consideration, here are the categories they fall into:

1. Extenders - "If I use the right mix of Amsoil and Lucas, I think I can move this OCI from 25k to 30k"
2. Maintainers - "I split the factory OCI reco in half, cause I want my 93 Camry to last."
3. Pragmatists - "oil is oil, you'll do fine with the cheapest in spec dino oil, and if you want to go crazy, you can buy Supertech Syn."
4. Mobil 1ers - "Whether you drive a Corvette, a Cummins or a McLaren, this product is your best, never fail, always appropriate choice."
5. Engineers/Scientists "Blah blah blah centistokes blah blah."
6. Crazies (one of many iterations of this) "My dad said to drop the pan at every oil change and to always go with 20W50, so that's the plan with my new Prius."
7. Thinnies "Thick oil can't flow into small places, so I am running 0 W 16 in my new Hellcat. If thick is good, thin must be better."
8. Ignorami "Never change your oil, just add a quart here and there."
9. Esotericists "Those few of us who have figured it out know that Brad Penn Racing oil really has the magic.
10. Marketers - "Amsoil is not sold by big oil and has the engineering worked out."

11. The AutoRXers- "You need to add AutoRx. It doesn't matter how old or new your engine is, or even if you don't have any sludge or deposits in your engine, you need to add the stuff, even though it doesn't work a lot of the time. And BTW, MMO is garbage!"

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
No surprise; I don't fit into any of your categories.
Ha! Wanna bet?
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: DSparks
#3 here with my business stuff and equipment(conventional dino fleet oils on both)...#4 on my personal vehicles but in a SOPUS flavor..PYB or PPPP.......never had an oil related failure with either approach.

LOL. No one has ever had an oil related failure.

Despite all the humor (though I'm not saying the OP doesn't hold merit, as it totally does)...

I don't fit any of those. My category is:

I love learning. I love to learn about oil. I'm a nerd; a geek; a dork; whatever have you. I will always be one. I don't have *consistency* enough to fit into any "category" - but, I do love and enjoy reading and searching through BITOG to find new interesting things about oil (and filters).

Also, adding onto the "I'm inconsistent" part: I've got ADHD, for real.

So, if there's an "ADHD Oil Nerds who love oil and filters" category, that is where I belong.

~ Triton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back