New Darling on BITOG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked in my mail the other day and Amsoil sent out thier action news booklet. On the cover and inside, Amsoil features some tests they did on thier 10W30 high performance synthetic. They tested thier oil against a bunch of over the counter easy to finde synthetics.

Now, if your like me, you love your cars and it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that your cars are getting good stuff. That being said, my vehicles were on a diet of Amsoil's venerable SSO for the last year. They were only 5000 mile OCI's. I know that I just heard the collective gasp of why so short? But over the boarder, the price of Mobil 1 was about 10 bucks a liter, so the cost of the SSO was roughly the same with the same OCI as the Mobil 1. But lately, Amsoil has priced thier SSO too high, making me rethink my next brand for my vehicles. Overall, my OCI's are short, even when I was using the Mobil 1, but it sure made me feel good that my babies were "eating good!".

Now,for the Amsoil news. Thier oil was tested against the other brands in five tests: TFOUT, NOACK, Pour Point, TBN and Cold Cranking. Of course, Amsoil was tops, however, a new brand was near the top, even matching Amsoil in what I think is the test that effects me the most. TFOUT,TBN, usually indicate longevity of the oil, for me, and a bunch of other guys on BITOG, not an issue as we have the die hards that have to change oil at 5000 miles to keep sane, me being one. Low Noack shows less burn off, which is good, Pour point for really cold winters, which in the west coast is not an issue, and finally, the Four ball test.

This test, I think, effects me the most as it shows how a lubricant resists wear. Now, first place, Amsoil, with a scar of .35, second, or should I say tied for first, Valvoline Synpowere at the same reading. Now, all other atributes are good points, showing lengivity of oil, burn off etc, but if your like myself, and just worried about the wear in your engine, this test is very interesting.

A bunch of guys have said that Valvoline is great and swear by it, but Amsoil I think just did themselves a diservice showing that an easily to find oil, like Valvoline, performs just as well in this crucial test. I know that Pennzoil Platinum has been the darling in this site, but it did land fourth in this test, beating Mobil 1 extended.

I think that we my have a new site darling in Valvoline Synpower?

Let the Raucus begin>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:
Seems like the 4-ball wear test is disregarded by BITOGers for some reason. I can't remember why.

So is MPG increases, no matter how minute. It's impossible to increase fuel efficiency (around here).

The four ball wear test is not really a good test for an engine oil because it involves point loading, which is almost never seen in an engine.

Engine lubrication is complicated. A good score on one test (especially the four ball wear test) is not a bad thing, but don't fret over it. An oil that scores well could still produce mediocre results overall, and another oil with a mediocre score could do very well.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Seems like the 4-ball wear test is disregarded by BITOGers for some reason. I can't remember why.

So is MPG increases, no matter how minute. It's impossible to increase fuel efficiency (around here).
So is the foreign oil thing .

I hear bleach also performs well in the 4-ball wear test. :)

Originally Posted By: Steve S
You must really think Amsoil is great stuff to change it at 5,000 miles .
Okay, I nearly spit my drink on the keyboard with that one...

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

And shampoo :)

The 4-ball was designed to test grease. Maybe we should just pack the inside of our engines with the best 4-ball rated grease on the market and be done with it. Although that would get pretty expensive. Those greases that beat Amsoil on the 4-ball test cost on average $15.00 per tube. Someone else can do the math on this. A tube of grease is 14 oz and it would probably take at least 120 pounds of grease to pack an engine, depending on the size.
grin2.gif

don't confuse engine oil, 4ball wear test and lubrication science. one of the 3 in the previous sentence doesn't belong.

this is why i refuse to recommend brand A. while i suspect they make fairly good products (although the cost effectiveness i hold in question), the garbage like this they promulgate over the web makes it impossible to rationally discuss the product with anyone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
The 4-ball was designed to test grease. Maybe we should just pack the inside of our engines with the best 4-ball rated grease on the market and be done with it. Although that would get pretty expensive. Those greases that beat Amsoil on the 4-ball test cost on average $15.00 per tube. Someone else can do the math on this. A tube of grease is 14 oz and it would probably take at least 120 pounds of grease to pack an engine, depending on the size.
grin2.gif

But it will last up tp 35,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
it will certainly last the life of the metal, because unless you are running nitro, you will never get it to turn over.
We are talking synthetic grease . You know to get good cold start flow.

At least Amsoil had the honest mind set to publish results showing their product being so closely matched in one area. Supporting a company that does business in the good is a nice sleep well at night kinda thing for some.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

And shampoo :)

My engine prefers Pert Plus over Head and Shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back