Why/How did you join/find BITOG??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was about a year ago, and I was interested in oil viscosity as I live in a warm climate, but often drive to very cold places. So I looked on Google and found this site.

I joined after following a link posted on the Subaru forum, nasioc, while searching for the ultimate oil for my 2003 WRX wagon. I'm still looking for that ultimate oil.
19.gif

-Dennis

Steve Lang at TheTruthAboutCars.com linked to BITOG's "Rebates, Sales, and Promotions" section in his car maintenance post there. After that, this obsessive personality was down the rabbit hole...

I purchased my new Dodge Grand Caravan in June of 2005. From the get go, it would use about 3/4ths of a quart of oil in 1200 miles. I started researching oil problems and issues with the Grand Caravan. I was a Havoline user at the time. Purchased it regularly for 99 cents per quart back then. I think I googled "best motor oil". It led me to here. Been an avid fan every since.

I switched from 3000 mile oil changes to 5k mile OCI's. Currently, I have about 6k. My recently purchased 2006 Colorado has an oil life monitor, so I will use that as my OCI guide. Havoline changed formulas and raised the price and Katrina happened, further raising oil prices.

I switched to synthetic and oil consumption on the Grand Caravan went from 3/4ths quart in 1200 miles to about a half quart in 3k miles. Currently have 140k miles on the GC and use synthetics or a mix of synthetic and synthetic blend (Motor Craft).

Same as others - I was searching on Google for something about oil, and the site popped up. It answered whatever question I may have had, plus was far more interesting than just answering one question. I kept reading and lurking for a long time, then joined.

As to the one who mentioned the PYB "wax" issue, this site definitely set me straight on that issue a long time ago. The QS sludge issue was something I discounted long before the site even came about, though, but that was personal fleet experience.

Sometime in the late 90's, my wife and I bought our first home computer, due to each of us having always used the computer at our own work and, never really needing a computer at home. First there was "dialup" then DSL and then Road Runner, and now, WiFi.

Well, things changed and not only did we buy that first home computer but, others since including labtops and, OH GEE, what's for Christmas this year?
smile.gif

During this time(late 90's) I was doing some home research on motor oils and filters, wanting to find information like so many here at Bob's, on which oil/filter were the best!

Like the rest of you folks, I discovered many individualy tested sites and some lab tested sites, all with their own facts & opinions. What I was looking for was information that agreed with one another.

I did other types of online searching besides oil/filter. We were booking flights/rental car/hotel etc. for our family vacations and just a world full of knowlage to be gained. We even buy our vehicles, tires, "COMPUTERS", online now and have since about 1999-2001 and our online purchaces is growing all the time.

One day(~2004), I was back into the oil/filter research again and just looking at car reviews and related subjects when, I happened apon BITOG and have been hooked ever since. It is probably the best oil/filter site that I have come across in the whole time I have searched online. I have also discovered other sites pertaining to the vehicles that we own and they too make mention of BITOG.

My oil/filter searching has slowed down lately as I am very content & satisfied with the information and what I can contribute here at Bob's. Once in awhile I'll pop in on other sites until I read the language/sarcasm and lack of real knowlage which in turn, tells me the age of the members there and I then turn away. "I feel at home here"!

I stumbled upon a thread on wrangerforum.com talking about ZDDP and that our 4.0L jeeps needed this ingredient that was being cut out of oils. So i panicked and went into research mode. got so desperate i used STP oil additive....
then i found this site and lurked for months
I finally said screw it and made an account to try and end all doubts i had.

Before BITOG, I had first "discovered" discussion forums while googling something or other about my car. I read quite a few posts from sites like vwvortex, but I wasn't finding much value there because the ratio of actual good knowledge to old wives tales and teenage hooey is pretty low... Then, one magical day, someone posted a link to BITOG. I was instantly hooked, I could tell right away that the site had an established culture that promoted fact, science, proof, and knowledge while discouraging stupidity (well, most of the time
grin.gif
). I also love how that established culture sets a backdrop that allows threads like the Synlube/Kefurt sagas to be so entertaining and funny. That same thread on another forum would hardly stand out from the background noise.

I was searching something about oil as usual and ended up here and now I'm an addict.

BTW now I know how all the religious fanatics feel when force-feeding their views on the ignorant public: I wan't to educate the masses on oil. No, 0w oils are not too thin for your motor, No, you don't need to run dino on an older car, No, oil brand x will not cause leaks/consumption and so forth.

Trying to find the best oil in early 2003 I googled and came across this site.

After 2 years of surfing and avid reading I joined up as a member in 2005.

Has never been the same as it was in first 4 years when the BITOG fever was at its highest and the passion burned in the posts.

Too many original members have now left or no longer post, I wish they would return. Pscholte, Tooslick, Moribundman, Sprintman, JohnBrowning, Terry, and others etc

Perhaps we need a "where are they now thread ?"

Last edited:
Can't honestly remember, it's been 6 1/2 years since I joined. I suspect it's because I had just bought my first corvette and also had a BMW I wanted to make sure of the oil requirements for both of them. Have been here since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back