BIL's 2012 S550 Mercedes Repair Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by The Critic
Yes, this is not unheard of on the MB V8s. It also happens on the E550s. The oil seeps out of the cam sensors (or other areas) and will wick itself thru the harness. You end up having to replace the ECM and the entire harness. I am guessing that he started to see misfires?

This phenomenon has also been seen on 4Runners where the trans fluid will wick thru the trans solenoid harness which results in a damaged Engine Harness, Trans Harness and ECM.

He took It in the day after the light came on. Never mentioned a misfire. I have seen stuff wick on cars and Submarines. It was just it cost so much money! Crazy man!

I am sure the repair bill on a submarine is more than $7000.

Originally Posted by geeman789

I remember a friend who was considering buying a new Mercedes. He was an engineer, a logic to the extreme sort of guy.

He said, if a luxury brand car costs twice as much or more than a mainstream brand car, why isn't the warranty twice as long ? Great question ... none of the dealers could answer it to his satisfaction. If the car is so vastly superior to other brands, then don't be afraid to back it up with a vastly superior warranty ...

Some people have this false notion in their head that twice as expensive means that it should last twice as long or be twice as reliable. Sadly, this is not the case at all. In some ways, a more expensive vehicle can often times be less reliable because it's more complex, packed with more gadgets which increases the chances of one of them failing.

More money gets you more technology, more power, nicer materials, better handling or more comfy ride, but don't expect better reliability just because you paid more.

Some manufacturers will give a longer warranty in order to win over some customers / gain market share, but those are typically temporary tactics and don't necessarily have anything to do with premium price. Take VW for example with their 6-year warranty where 3-year is an industry standard. Did they do this out of their heart? Of course not. After dieselgate, they had to do something to make people more comfortable with the idea of buying a VW.

Leo99 said:
My head can't handle it. I could put a 500hp LS and built 4L80E in my truck for half of that and pull down 200,000 miles easy.

As you know, there are exceedingly few "high tech" engines that can compete with old American technology. All these ultra high tech engines, none of which are small or light, seem not to win races or hold up for half a million miles.

Back in the 1930's, Pratt and Whitney engineers build the worlds first lightweight, efficient and reliable aircraft engines. The engineers knew all about 4 valve cylinder heads, overhead camshafts and other "high tech" methods of construction. But they needed great power to weight and efficiency.

What they discovered is that large cylinders have lower piston ring swept area (less friction than multi cyls of same displacement) and less combustion chamber surface area to transfer heat. And that by limiting RPM, 2 valves provide sufficient volumetric efficiency to keep pumping losses to a minimum. The result is a lightweight, compact, powerful and efficient engine.

I bring this up because American V8's were designed with the very same ideas in mind. The engineers knew what they were doing, and carefully avoided the European method of many small, furious cylinders. The result is a great blend of good characteristics in an inexpensive package.

An LS 454 package with 700HP:

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
There are a few of those and Beemers around the office … always hear of the cost of repairs or even general service. Some have gone to a lease to bail from that moment in time … Lot different from the older simpler MB's that ran forever …
The smaller 200 Diesel in the EU are pretty darn reliable … Waiting for one to get me now …

A lot of coworkers own BMW motorcycles? Interesting.
That said, all the talk about leasing to "save money" reminds me of a BITOG "expert" in another topic who proclaimed that leasing a new BMW every three years was the cheapest way to own one. I crunched the numbers-subtracting what I sold it for from my purchase price and adding in all maintenance and repairs- and it turned out that buying my CPO 2004 X3 and driving it for 12 years was actually $32,000 less expensive than a perpetual $550/month lease over the same period.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by The Critic
Yes, this is not unheard of on the MB V8s. It also happens on the E550s. The oil seeps out of the cam sensors (or other areas) and will wick itself thru the harness. You end up having to replace the ECM and the entire harness. I am guessing that he started to see misfires?

This phenomenon has also been seen on 4Runners where the trans fluid will wick thru the trans solenoid harness which results in a damaged Engine Harness, Trans Harness and ECM.

He took It in the day after the light came on. Never mentioned a misfire. I have seen stuff wick on cars and Submarines. It was just it cost so much money! Crazy man!

I am sure the repair bill on a submarine is more than $7000.

Hahaha Yeah. I just mean I have seen the wicking happen in other places too, but you are not wrong.

Originally Posted by Chesterr
I have 93k on a el cheapo 14 focus and nothing has gone wrong with it, same go's for the 7 other new gm and Ford's I have bought. I think the mbs and bmws of last 10 years are just overcomplicated , too many electronics ,overpriced and cost way too much to fix. ...domestics have had their faults but right now German luxury cars are worse

I could have bought a base Focus on A Plan a few years back. Hindsight is 20/20.
frown.gif

The cost is all relative , if you're driving a car in your financial means the cost is the same for a guy driving s 8 year old beater Ford as it is for a guy driving a Mercedes . kind of like the price of a house a poor guy says wow what a waste of money the rich guy is well that's what a nice house cost . My father always had a nice Mercedes , I never heard him complain about the cost of ownership , why ? He could afford it .

Originally Posted by Kjmack
The cost is all relative , if you're driving a car in your financial means the cost is the same for a guy driving s 8 year old beater Ford as it is for a guy driving a Mercedes . kind of like the price of a house a poor guy says wow what a waste of money the rich guy is well that's what a nice house cost . My father always had a nice Mercedes , I never heard him complain about the cost of ownership , why ? He could afford it .

One problem is that a lot of nitwits don't do their homework and/or they can't get though their heads the fact that a heavily depreciated luxury car will have upkeep costs proportionate to the vehicle's original MSRP.

I don't think these repairs are often however the story about it/cost of course scares people enough that the resale tanks for MB and BMW.

Originally Posted by Ws6
I have 93k on a el cheapo 14 focus and nothing has gone wrong with it, same go's for the 7 other new gm and Ford's I have bought. I think the mbs and bmws of last 10 years are just overcomplicated , too many electronics ,overpriced and cost way too much to fix. ...domestics have had their faults but right now German luxury cars are worse

Ive gone to Japanese only. Been pleased.

My grandfather (RIP...passed in 1992) was born in 1919. Served in Europe during WWII and then in the Guard in Korea. In the mid-late 1980s, he switched to Japanese only, despite having been a Mopar mechanic and owner for most of his life.

That made an impression on me, and I've been Japanese-only since I've bought my own vehicles. Ive never been disappointed.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by Ws6

My grandfather (RIP...passed in 1992) was born in 1919. Served in Europe during WWII and then in the Guard in Korea. In the mid-late 1980s, he switched to Japanese only, despite having been a Mopar mechanic and owner for most of his life.

That made an impression on me, and I've been Japanese-only since I've bought my own vehicles. Ive never been disappointed.

Just one question , if you were very wealthy would you own a Honda or Toyota ? And I'm not bashing those , owned them and they were good transportation . Apples and oranges when people are comparing a 7 year old Ford to a Mercedes . My wife had never driven a Mercedes till we got married , she instantly saw a huge difference to the domestics

Originally Posted by Ws6

Just one question , if you were very wealthy would you own a Honda or Toyota ? And I'm not bashing those , owned them and they were good transportation . Apples and oranges when people are comparing a 7 year old Ford to a Mercedes . My wife had never driven a Mercedes till we got married , she instantly saw a huge difference to the domestics

Yes, Land Cruiser, One of the Lexus sport/lux cars, and an NSX, no question.

Personally, I went with Mazda, as my budget did not eclipse mid 40's at present, and I wanted new, and nothing really compared for under mid 40's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

I've always thought to myself that if I ever bought a lux brand, it would be a Lexus.

I'll say this - I have always really liked Porsche 911s. But if I ever bought one, I'd do so with the knowledge that the reliability would not be on par with a Lexus, and I would accept the higher cost of ownership as just part of the price I'd have to pay to have that particular vehicle.

If someone wants a Euro brand, and goes into the purchase knowing full well that there will be more maintenance, costs will be higher, and more stuff on the car will break, and they can accept that, fine.

Personally, it's something I'd have to think very, very carefully about. And I'm not sure I could justify it.

Originally Posted by Ws6

My Grandfather, who passed in 1999, was an Engineer for GE and served in the RCAF during WWII. He wouldn't buy anything German or Japanese, and, as a twist, he was German by lineage. He was a die-hard Ford guy, right until the end. That made an impression on me, and why I've owned myriad Ford products over the years. I only somewhat recently started buying Mopar because of my relationship with the local dealer. We even Ford-swapped several antique boats
lol.gif

The German cars are beautiful, but crazy expensive in every way.
Reliability is suspect at best. Total cost of ownership is insane.

I used to hate Hondas and Toyotas; the early ones were throw away cars.
I help a lotta people with their cars and help people get cars.

Hondas and Toyotas all the way.
Oh yeah, our new Tesla Model 3 motor has 2 moving parts, as I understand it.

MB is a status symbol; not something I am interested in.
Every study shows Lexus is superior.
In the end, it's your $$; buy what you like.

Alot like location in housing , California real estate is probably five times higher than Michigan sure the weather is nicer but it's still a house. do people make five times as much money in California as Michigan for most jobs I doubt it so does it justify to live in California for better weather it's up to the individual.

Oil is non conductive. Other than a slimy mess, what is the result? At last somebody made a computer that leaks oil !
grin2.gif

Seriously, does the oil mess up electrics?

Last edited:
they are called Stealers for a reason + anyone buying whats said to be an upscale vehicle pays higher labor as well as parts. years ago the same chevy starter that fit a caddy cost 1/3. a smart friend mechanic used the same interchange parts manual auto wreckers use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back