2016 MB E350 - Sell or Keep?

So, the car has made it to 182K.

It was at the dealer two weeks ago since the lane keep assist no longer worked. The dealer replaced the front multifunction camera, which was a $1500+ job. Other than that, no issues. I think the car is in pretty decent shape. The dealer didn’t upsell a single item, so I assume they agree.

The CPO warranty expires in 2 weeks.
Does he get the option to extend it?

So far, the following repairs have been done under CPO warranty:
- 74K: Replaced driver side cylinder head due to a seized spark plug on Cyl #5. Also replaced sticking parking brake lever. This was a $5-6K job.
Did they say what caused this?

Edit: BTW take the 10K and run.

Everybody needs to own a BMW or MB once in their lives. I've had both. Its like having one really bad migraine that goes away and never returns. Makes you appreciate just how great life can be.
Lol, This one belongs in the humor section thanks for the laugh I understand where you're coming from though I've never bought into a maintenance nightmare like a Jaguar, Ferrari, or BMW, and possibly Mercedes also.

I have known people who have owned such vehicles and I've also had a couple of private silent chuckles when I've seen some of them with major problems when they were still very new when the person owning it was someone I didn't even know.

By the way I like the above post that if you do not schedule your car's maintenance it will schedule it for you. You have to wonder about how many of the vehicles with problems you see fall into that category!

The post about waiting for the E400 and the E450 to be available in a CPO it's probably spot on in that he would still have a couple of months before his warranty would expire to be doing some serious looking and be able to transition from what he has to the newer vehicle while the vehicle he is driving is still under warranty. Perhaps you should mention this to this person.

The post about waiting for the E400 and the E450 to be available in a CPO it's probably spot on in that he would still have a couple of months before his warranty would expire to be doing some serious looking and be able to transition from what he has to the newer vehicle while the vehicle he is driving is still under warranty. Perhaps you should mention this to this person

1685987744010.png

He came by last week and invested about $800 of parts into it - LOF, air filter, cabin filter, brake fluid, rear diff fluid, wiper blades, front brake pads and rotors, drive belt, both drive belt pulleys, drive belt tensioner. Also adjusted the front wheel bearings. Rest of the car remains in surprisingly good shape for the mileage.

I guess he is committed for the long-haul. :p

Rest of the car remains in UNsurprisingly good shape for the mileage.

You mean to tell he hasn’t reverse-mortgaged his house driving a 8 year old, 200k mileage, $60k+ Mercedes? 😁

Thanks for the update! Wish you’d taken pictures of the bottom of the car

P.S. how did you know you needed to adjust bearings, play on push-pull? I recall you’ve adjusted his bearing earlier, perhaps 2 visits ago. Why would they be needed adjustment again, close to expiration date?

You mean to tell he hasn’t reverse-mortgaged his house driving a 8 year old, 200k mileage, $60k+ Mercedes? 😁

Thanks for the update! Wish you’d taken pictures of the bottom of the car

P.S. how did you know you needed to adjust bearings, play on push-pull? I recall you’ve adjusted his bearing earlier, perhaps 2 visits ago. Why would they be needed adjustment again, close to expiration date?
I told him that he is on borrowed time and to start looking for a new ride.

Bottom of the car is pristine - nothing to see. It is a CA car that has never seen snow.

Bearings simply require regular adjustment.

I told him that he is on borrowed time and to start looking for a new ride.

Bottom of the car is pristine - nothing to see. It is a CA car that has never seen snow.

Bearings simply require regular adjustment.

I understand car’s bottom, including suspension won’t look weathered, but it can still look “worn”.

So you just, say every 50k or so, tighten bearings on your clients’ cars? Do you use dial to set specked play in the bearing on your friend’s Merc?

As to “he’s on a borrowed time” — anything specific or just a prediction with a safety cushion? How oil does the engine use, based on what you filled vs what it is when he come in?

Thanks!

Back