BIG mid-sized SUV knowledge

VR6 was used in Audi Q7, Touareg, Passat and Porsche. So, there are a lot of them on the road.

I was going to say, skip the Atlas and go for the Q7 even if you grab a CPO on a lease return for budget, even grab a 3.0T. Much more sorted chassis, plus you will get some towing ability the Fatlas lacks.

I've never ran a VR6 but when I tripped over a thread on many of the VW forums it was always spoken of highly overall.

I was going to say, skip the Atlas and go for the Q7 even if you grab a CPO on a lease return for budget, even grab a 3.0T. Much more sorted chassis, plus you will get some towing ability the Fatlas lacks.

I've never ran a VR6 but when I tripped over a thread on many of the VW forums it was always spoken of highly overall.
The Q7 and Atlas are very different.

Too rich $$ for my blood, but cargo space also lacks too much.

Those are two vastly different concepts. Q7 is a longitudinal platform, Torsen based AWD. VR6 was used in Q7 last time in 2010. They are old.
But, more importantly, the current Q7 is small! Really small compared to Atlas.

Those are two vastly different concepts. Q7 is a longitudinal platform, Torsen based AWD. VR6 was used in Q7 last time in 2010. They are old.
But, more importantly, the current Q7 is small! Really small compared to Atlas.

Which is why I pointed out getting the new 3.0T. Also yes, AWD system is better.....you're right, why would I suggest such a thing as a more powerful engine plus tuning ability, better towing, better AWD system........ ;):cool:

Really small?

Atlas has some more cargo room on paper due to the hatch design being more upright than the sloping lines of the Q7, only a real concern if you regularly stack your cargo to the ceiling. Front and rear seating are nearly identical, wheelbase and width also nearly identical. Third row is normally for kids so headroom not a deal breaker if you get pluses elsewhere.

Atlas

Audi Q7

Just a suggestion, not saying the Atlas is trash or going to get butthurt if OP doesn't choose the Q7. Just offering some thoughts not yet presented.

Obviously I have no preference towards VW/Audi............... :D

The Q7 and Atlas are very different.

Yup, believe that was actually my point........ :sneaky:

Which is why I pointed out getting the new 3.0T. Also yes, AWD system is better.....you're right, why would I suggest such a thing as a more powerful engine plus tuning ability, better towing, better AWD system........ ;):cool:

Really small?

Atlas has some more cargo room on paper due to the hatch design being more upright than the sloping lines of the Q7, only a real concern if you regularly stack your cargo to the ceiling. Front and rear seating are nearly identical, wheelbase and width also nearly identical. Third row is normally for kids so headroom not a deal breaker if you get pluses elsewhere.

Atlas

Audi Q7

Just a suggestion, not saying the Atlas is trash or going to get butthurt if OP doesn't choose the Q7. Just offering some thoughts not yet presented.

Obviously I have no preference towards VW/Audi............... :D

Yup, believe that was actually my point........ :sneaky:
no paper. Have you actually look at cargo numbers? Highlander has mor trunk space behind third row, and HL is small! You could “park” Q7 inside Atlas. The size difference is approximately between Highlander and Atlas. I drove Q7 a lot. You lose a lot on longitudinal engine. “Third row” is just hypothetical. My 6 1/2 would struggle there. You don’t have spare, and the “slope” in the roof doesn’t equal to 30+ cu ft less cargo space. The real difference is behind second row. Atlas has 55 cu-ft and Audi 35.7!!! That is MAJOR difference. If Q7 was close to Atlas, I would be driving it. Atlas is actually bigger than BMW X7.

Last edited:
What about a Nissan Armada? The Atlas is winning the majority vote in this thread, but the Armada could be a different alternative. It’s a gas pig, of course

no paper. Have you actually look at cargo numbers? Highlander has mor trunk space behind third row, and HL is small! You could “park” Q7 inside Atlas. The size difference is approximately between Highlander and Atlas. I drove Q7 a lot. You lose a lot on longitudinal engine. “Third row” is just hypothetical. My 6 1/2 would struggle there. You don’t have spare, and the “slope” in the roof doesn’t equal to 30+ cu ft less cargo space. The real difference is behind second row. Atlas has 55 cu-ft and Audi 35.7!!! That is MAJOR difference. If Q7 was close to Atlas, I would be driving it. Atlas is actually bigger than BMW X7.

the atlas cross sport is more comparable to the Q7 (size wise). If you need to have the premium vehicle then obviously the Audi…

If you need a giant comfy smooth kid schlepper that doesn’t break the bank, the atlas is the way to go.

Last edited:

Math is not my strong suit but the difference between 55 and 35.7 is 19.3, not 30+. I agree if accurate that is significant, part of comparing vehicles and what is important. However I would bet the figures YOU posted are with 3rd row folded, so if you are folding the 3rd row what does headroom matter? LOL

I never got out a tape measure, everything I saw showed cargo difference was
Either way, I'm not selling a Q7.......just thought I would interject some thoughts to consider, you are right the Q7 is NOT the same as an Atlas. None of the vehicle on the list or suggested since are exactly like the Atlas. You're right, you should buy the OP an Atlas.

Peace.

Believe it or not, still smaller inside.
If OP was towing, absolutely.
Learnt something today, didn’t realize how spacious the Atlas was. And also, the 2nd gen Armada is notably smaller than the 1st gen Armada.

Math is not my strong suit but the difference between 55 and 35.7 is 19.3, not 30+. I agree if accurate that is significant, part of comparing vehicles and what is important. However I would bet the figures YOU posted are with 3rd row folded, so if you are folding the 3rd row what does headroom matter? LOL

I never got out a tape measure, everything I saw showed cargo difference was
Either way, I'm not selling a Q7.......just thought I would interject some thoughts to consider, you are right the Q7 is NOT the same as an Atlas. None of the vehicle on the list or suggested since are exactly like the Atlas. You're right, you should buy the OP an Atlas.

Peace.
I wrote inappropriately. 30+ cu ft is overall difference in cargo behind first row. But difference behind second row is 20cu ft. That is substantial! In 35.7cu-ft you can barely put stroller in horizontal position from trunk opening to seats.
If you can’t figure out how longitudinal architecture affects interior space, well, you have some catching up to do.

the atlas cross sport is more comparable to the Q7 (size wise). If you need to have the premium vehicle then obviously the Audi…

If you need a giant comfy smooth kid schlepper that doesn’t break the bank, the atlas is the way to go.
The Q7 exterior dimensions is more like the Atlas

The Cross Sport is an inch longer than the Highlander with a less useable interior. 2 rows instead of 3

Learnt something today, didn’t realize how spacious the Atlas was. And also, the 2nd gen Armada is notably smaller than the 1st gen Armada.
Yeah. The space behind 2nd row in Armada is 49.7cu ft, Atlas is 55 cu-ft. Armada is BIG, but longitudinal architecture and body on frame take their toll.

Still bigger interior than HL. Only downside is lack of third row. Not that HL has a functional one.
I have fit adults in the 3rd row before. After moving the 2nd row forward a bit for leg room.

The Atlas CS with the 40.3 cu ft behind the 2nd row, folded is only 77.8 cu ft. Maybe your math says it's larger than 48.5 cu ft with the 3rd row down & 83.4 cu ft on the Highlander with all the rows folded.

Back