New SUV Suggestions

Is your aunt really old? Avalon seems appealing for 65 and older crowd seeking the full size car nostalgia.

Don’t decide for her? Just have her try what she likes best not what you think. There were no bad or better choices in your original list, just what flavor ice cream she prefers….
I am in that age category and the last thing I think of is a "Toyota for Full Size Car Nostalgia" :)

I think of this:

65 electra 225 convertible.jpg

If it doesn't have to be an SUV just for thoughts the new Maverick is very handsome and I've heard nothing but good reviews from real world people not internet reviews. I personally would go hybrid and pass on the EcoBoost
None available for over a year. 2022 all sold.
There are repaired wrecks out there. That is an option - or not.

I can't imagine an Aunt wanting a Maverick. To blocky rugged basic but blah GUY appeal.

I cant imagine an Aunt needing tech other than basic BT an possibly android auto or Apple car play and possibly the ancient CD player.

My Wife is an Aunt. She hates tech. Especially poorly implemented Japanese tech AND Hardware that is garbage; Talking to YOU Subaru! I am showing her how to use Android Auto to get her phone on the Display. Its Good for running WAZE app.
Though with that we just listen to the voice directional commands. Who has time to look at a MAP when driving in a town or city?

Now I just recalled unfolding a paper map and resting on the steering wheel. Did a lot of "Pulling Over' then - as I do now.

I would say my 2019 Jetta had very very well implemented tech and software

Maybe a TAOS would do the trick. Or the next step up. Atlas would be too big unless she is a Real Estate agent

I hear good things about the Toyota Highlander.
Wouldn`t that be a logical,choice?
The infotainment seems a little dated, but might be worth considering if it's the Platinum trim

None available for over a year. 2022 all sold.
There are repaired wrecks out there. That is an option - or not.

I can't imagine an Aunt wanting a Maverick. To blocky rugged basic but blah GUY appeal.

I cant imagine an Aunt needing tech other than basic BT an possibly android auto or Apple car play and possibly the ancient CD player.

My Wife is an Aunt. She hates tech. Especially poorly implemented Japanese tech AND Hardware that is garbage; Talking to YOU Subaru! I am showing her how to use Android Auto to get her phone on the Display. Its Good for running WAZE app.
Though with that we just listen to the voice directional commands. Who has time to look at a MAP when driving in a town or city?

Now I just recalled unfolding a paper map and resting on the steering wheel. Did a lot of "Pulling Over' then - as I do now.

I would say my 2019 Jetta had very very well implemented tech and software

Maybe a TAOS would do the trick. Or the next step up. Atlas would be too big unless she is a Real Estate agent
She's a Vice President of IT and has all the newest gadgets and gizmos. Tech is #1.

So satellite WIFI? That the only "advanced" access and connectivity I could imagine wanted in a car or truck.

Is she out in the forsaken desert too? My brother just moved there from Santa Clarita a couple years ago and convinced his daughter to buy a new house and move there too. I was out there for a wedding in 2019. We were able to get out of the disaster called Scottsdale for a day and did some climbing around ...
desert basin hike 1.JPG

Last edited:
So satellite WIFI? That the only "advanced" access and connectivity I could imagine wanted in a car or truck.

Is she out in the forsaken desert too? My brother just moved there from Santa Clarita a couple years ago and convinced his daughter to buy a new house and move there too. I was out there for a wedding in 2019. We were able to get out of the disaster called Scottsdale for a day and did some climbing around ...
View attachment 101140
No desert here, just the 5th largest city in the U.S. :ROFLMAO:

Touch screens + car = DISASTER

Maybe if cars drove better and had some heart you wouldn't need the "tech distraction"

The stupidity of the 21st Century continues to amaze and disgust - Ken

Maybe if cars drove better and had some heart you wouldn't need the "tech distraction"

You are so right.
My 2015 Cayman drives like complete crap, just because it has a touchscreen radio interface.
Just ruins everything when I need to adjust the speaker balance or fade, because I have to touch the screen to do so.

I didn't realize it until you summed it up for me.

Thank you for enlightening me.

BC.

Just watched the new york times report on Elon Musk and Tesla not pretty
Ever since Elon Musk peed in the left's frosties the entire propaganda bubble is out to get him.
The NYT is at the center of it.
No Surprise there, they would write "Elon bad!" no matter what the reality is and now nothing they write can be trusted.

Last edited:

I never touch the screen while driving. I use voice controls. "Stream blues music." "Set the temp to 70." "I'm cold."
After driving one of our Lexi, I find all the buttons confusing and have to search for the right button or buttons.
By the way, the driving dynamics of our Model 3 are amazing. Heart? Drive one and see if it doesn't put a huge smile on your face.

2021_Lexus_RX350_F_SPORT_dash.jpg

TN9v2kBlrdu_oa5ofj-0u_ZcHEH4qBumaKY5DLK-XNuhWGbq3g75-RKQJyEgzuU4kdDIiY-d168laH8cH87MStKta8m4Tn4Q-XIgaYnJmIqWSkcBzYuID66nIUY25csDK457Ft7UQP__Pcu412CpR-yYDJt38uTpyXBuAW4G2c_4zYUBHbVJCoEaQJJ8xcNlOjBdlTWx2jqUdeMWAZHhiN7dSc8bzDTSww4bocGSE4iGLYs9zt3PT_cWsubfzJP_9Pd39hLObMVPJigvpjzWtn3LIN8Podz8lX-su6-LAtPMIIeZ6E6K_zc-Mj0cLWcOutdZ0n9oFmP6hCTvpekt3OxlnKpaKnaiw3f5vF6dI1g-A32zSTqyFKnIl6cIytVMZ78PCCp7VwRdADmwJAWF8anPNQnGfpB6xgoscwrRt5E2CQB7QxtJp951QapeR2lkYge5xZ6aP-qW_j4n8ZWBMSUrKP4B7qxmp6fajWbwkpw8OnL8FPvlr-H9z1rj4FhWps1DWu7HlgaeK4_zhvkI91Ks6JlXSCWI8G5jffeMcfea1Kz2Hewm_EOa4CWFT4RzMGnsq6LeC9_RBV9ySZ04YiD1xu50_ZlPD8xuUS6GDWpD6J1PJksHpEFR5i4i62Bn3gBLG5U0iKTyGFTpBPOA8C8J8mvEHp7sHtp3BNjrl6b_VxN9drdDMmZ8pZ9yeGD7LFZILhaQpYOtV5GLLt3nCwIioA969osrBelCLfWsuIWTCm12Ro_sj8ZGPl2law=w1464-h713-no

Last edited:
You are so right.
My 2015 Cayman drives like complete crap, just because it has a touchscreen radio interface.
Just ruins everything when I need to adjust the speaker balance or fade, because I have to touch the screen to do so.

I didn't realize it until you summed it up for me.

Thank you for enlightening me.

BC.
Yes, I often feel the need to adjust the F > R fader when tossing about in my sporting coupé at 8/10ths .

What you talking about?

Try adjusting the HVAC on my wife's subaru when blasting down the interstate in to Boston;
A terribly broken human interface that was not previously broken -

subaruhvac.jpg

Yes, I often feel the need to adjust the F > R fader when tossing about in my sporting coupé at 8/10ths .

What you talking about?

Try adjusting the HVAC on my wife's subaru when blasting down the interstate in to Boston;

View attachment 101446

This is one area where dials still rule. The high tech alternative would be voice controls.

What you talking about?

View attachment 101446
You are right, that is a stupid system, hence why I don't buy cars with stupid infotainment systems, like that Subaru, in the first place.

The system in the Stelvio is right on the edge of being a pain (ask my wife, and she thinks it was designed by Lucifer himself), but you can choose between round dial control, or touchscreen. Some things are easier to touch, while others are easier with the knob, once you figure it out.

Plus, you can do the HVAC controls and heated seats either though the touchscreen, or through physical knobs and buttons on the dash, in the Alfa's.

I prefer the Cayman's system better.
Just the radio, and it's limited what gets done on screen. knobs and buttons for most things, but you do need to touchscreen if you are making fader and balance adjustments, while driving. Which I have done, in the Cayman, oddly enough. Different needs if you're listening to Jimi Hendrix, or if you're listening to SlipKnot.

BC.

We are happy with our ‘22 4Runner. I’m guessing it’ll be the same platform in 2023 judging by the 2023 “40” year anniversary addition coming out.

Back