New SUV Suggestions

I vote for a good used 2018-2020 Tahoe LT. Most of the issues that were in the 2015-2017 were worked out by then. I go back and forth from Miami-NYC several times a year and it is a pleasure to drive. Awesome in the nastiest weather. Excellent back support. The 5.3 V8 is not bad on fuel. I get around 23-24 MPG out on the highway. I only use 87 octane.

It’s nice of you to help your aunt look for a new vehicle but in the end it will be what she wants.

Fuel economy should be high on the list of priorities. Gasoline is not going to return to the cheap days of the past. A hybrid perhaps?

My FIL just picked up a hybrid highlander. It’s is very refined and comfortable, and in 1.6 years nobody will even notice the exterior styling since everything else will be radical too. She will not be hurting for tech in that vehicle, and it should last.

RX450h F Sport. The F Sport fixes that squishy SUV ride. Lexus fixes reliability issues.
iciqbp0gbP2MfTE98DFzol9R_Pm50GFT76Z4jx8LZHnBBoWDQ_APh0QJ75zYpJx2zdWQWSksvRnvkLvRDVOnIWJczwFAq9OY6EykDokNR2NCcfCRaJ9xZbLVbGkkv03kAqMFN0Rd_2COg5vsAd5akzqvhN_pZKYDdUf7AVE_VS9eWBDKWNE4YCZiMo-l18fDqHh8FWqFtNCMiqEEGyunuxiHx3YTnDWmW4NKHrI4FVIjYYQTVuIZDxTEDISy1KEOtbn-mOCuf6dDlZ-WpL9oU3NDXWXujcJyhd8QrZvhV3S8Bmu4N0F2Mduh4vgFFzd_I-NyvAPMQlwZNYsQlLn6YVtMt7DCYG1BtAWEs0rnQw-4B1RexqBJWKN4TsNp6hFN81T_Z-MuxdEs02DlP4Wdufuj3Fc7EDWAIBWGo03lZz6COmXJu4CnTBRlSoEoYATKRpU9vMINfo6tHBibPOC-QgEBoO96vyh9s-aal3A659v9gzKXs6ddYJeH3SNg3wvN28B09wlTs0vt9m330sc1UoszTx6gf-347lnNFr4d_4YSBJwnTt3MwpmAbmkFrcvRMm-2c7zw4E9LLAihjkv3JNyEFe0DB6XL_SaBZeCuzV7MONRcPSM3Gx3tBZipKRtVphA4XfUmOYM62HnxZZAfUMdCvJMOMiLfgbKZlzzblEhgEQJXaCeEx0CJcVBQixDMCya1RI11WUq2slOzX1NcUiLdQIc0O7NjPncWX5ZrhvPDaWZCI6hy6_ByVDWDzg=w1178-h883-no

If she'll consider a Euro, I'd seriously test drive the X5, it is VERY nice. I'd also take a look at the current Grand Cherokee (NBS). Did you see my review thread of it on here?

I know she might be against Euro, but if she’s open to any and all advice from you… sounds like there are some suggestions here. Maybe you can vet out miles/year and term of ownership? Maybe tacking on an extended warranty, typically a no-no ‘round these parts, might be acceptable to here.

No, that's not really so. Especially not so with the 400HP variant. Tough engine, trans, interior.
According to Consumer Reports, the 2022 Ford explorer has a predicted reliability ranking of one out of five. That’s the worst score a vehicle can get, and it’s pretty far below average. But the predicted reliability ranking is based on issues with the 2020 and 2021 model years.

Is your aunt really going to buy whatever you suggest to her? Mine wouldn't.
Yes, she's basically my mom and asked me to research it for her. I pretty much decided the Avalon last time, but 2016 was a bad time for tech and they all sucked.
Telluride is nice also. How about the genesis gv70?
After the laundry list of repairs I had with my Genesis, it's just not able to be considered at this time.

MDX, Highlander, or Pilot would be my choice for a bigger vehicle. As for 2 row vehicles, you’re going to have a lot of room in the CRV and Rav. I love my CRV’s (2013 and 2022).

Last edited:
I think the Jaguar F-pace looks nice, I might consider one in a couple of years. But the mazda Cx- 5 with a turbo offers similar performance for less money.

Yes, she's basically my mom and asked me to research it for her. I pretty much decided the Avalon last time, but 2016 was a bad time for tech and they all sucked.

After the laundry list of repairs I had with my Genesis, it's just not able to be considered at this time.
Is your aunt really old? Avalon seems appealing for 65 and older crowd seeking the full size car nostalgia.

Don’t decide for her? Just have her try what she likes best not what you think. There were no bad or better choices in your original list, just what flavor ice cream she prefers….

Back