BIG mid-sized SUV knowledge

So we have a Hyundai Palisade that has been a headache. We may get out of it…if it were fixed or never had problems, we wouldn’t be considering anything else. But its cargo space is the minimum we can deal with as we load it full, as well as an XXL Thule roof box, on camping trips. We have about 46 cu. ft. behind 2nd row. Wife wants a 3rd row just in case of friends, family (we do use it occasionally).

Problems with ours: vibration they can’t fix, tire wear issue they can’t find a reason for (front tires noticeably / badly feathering within 5k miles that I rotate at) (they checked and adjusted alignment, tried to say it’s fixed, but alignment was only 0.02 degree out / front toe and likely due to them replacing the transfer case as they probably removed the subframe), and damage dealers causing while in for service that state AG is now involved with as Hyundai won’t take our back.

We can jump into another Palisade (probably). We have a limited, the new limiteds are butt ugly with ugly wheels and about 4 different exterior finishes (gloss black grill, satin gray parts, chrome parts, and body color parts). We’d consider going down to XRT for the looks, but then we lose value (a lot less options, likely much less trade in value) and I don’t exactly know if Hyundai can make that make sense for us…I’m definitely not taking a hit for a car they can’t fix.

Pilot has more cargo room now. I just dislike Hondas engine/trans track record (oil burning, stupid VCM, trans problems that always seem to arise with Honda v6 when they’re out of warranty, and the whole thing of them using a timing belt still, that’s just a big expense that most modern cars don’t have anymore).

VW Atlas has comparable / more cargo room, but I’ve never been a VW fan. New VW seem to have alot of lemon / buyback cases lately at least concerning their SUVs.

Chevy Traverse. More cargo room, nice looking SUV, but I’ve never thought well of Chevys if they weren’t v8 full framed full sized vehicles. Seem like a mess to work on, with common, premature problems as compared to other / import vehicles.

Really wish the Grand Highlander were out and Toyota didn’t sell at a premium…seems like the best bet, but also would want to give it a year or two on the road before we bought.

Grand Cherokee L. More cargo room I think, but for the 3.6s problems, they sure ask a pretty penny for what they are. I can’t see spending 50k ish for a middle of the line grand Cherokee L when you can be pretty sure it’ll be problematic.

Any personal or professional experience with these large mid sized SUVs? Wife is absolutely against another minivan. And unfortunately a Tahoe is pretty expensive / she’s afraid of driving one.

Appreciate it!

If you test drive all of them, your going to like the Grand Cherokee. The 3.6 is a great engine along with a bullet proof transmission.
Idk why people all think the 3.6 is so great. We have hundreds of them in our fleet and they leak oil and coolant everywhere, need oil pumps pretty regularly, and their software just seems so locked down that you absolutely need the dealer for so many things. Cam and lifter problems too, right?

But I will consider them if I’m just wrong.

Idk why people all think the 3.6 is so great. We have hundreds of them in our fleet and they leak oil and coolant everywhere, need oil pumps pretty regularly, and their software just seems so locked down that you absolutely need the dealer for so many things. Cam and lifter problems too, right?

But I will consider them if I’m just wrong.
I had 3 pentastars and know alot of people that have them without problems, if you don't over tighten the filter cap you will not cause oil leaks. They are good engines that don't get carboned up like alot of engines now days.

I had 3 pentastars and know alot of people that have them without problems, if you don't over tighten the filter cap you will not cause oil leaks. They are good engines that don't get carboned up like alot of engines now days.
Thats great but I know people with them and they have had nothing but problems with it...You are a lucky one...

Really wish the Grand Highlander were out and Toyota didn’t sell at a premium…seems like the best bet, but also would want to give it a year or two on the road before we bought.

Fast forward to 05.20min if you don't want to watch the rest about Sequoia:

Remember, this is $80k car. So, don't expect anything better in GHL.

I just got slightly used Atlas. I was thinking about Grand HL to wait for it, but then it will have mediocre, short seats like SIenna, assembly quality is like that that you can see with your eyes that gaps are too large in some areas, and in others, they fit OK.
I was thinking about the Pilot, but then, it is a brand new model, a new 10-speed in Honda, which somehow always manages to have some transmission issues, and of course, VCM.

If you don't like VW, I would stick with Palisade a bit until there is some feedback about Pilot. It seems Honda invested a lot in this Pilot. It is still smaller than Atlas, by a bit behind 2nd row, but non the less; big car.

Pretty sure expeditions are very problematic these days.
Ford has a horrid reputation these days, and Yukon/SUburban etc. are just ridiculous. When you drive behind them, you just know that independent suspension was an afterthought. Which begs the question, what else is an afterthought? And then those buttons to manually change gears? When I saw that, I was wondering whether they were trying to outdo Tesla in the most ridiculous operations done by a driver.

You forgot the Subaru Ascent :sneaky:

doesn't the non-Grand Highlander have enough space for you? :unsure:

Too bad you don't want a minivan, because the Sienna is a 4-cylinder hybrid so it won't be difficult to work on. Ford will discontinue the Transit Connect after the 2023 model year, and it is a non-turbo I4 with a non-CVT automatic.

Fast forward to 05.20min if you don't want to watch the rest about Sequoia:

Remember, this is $80k car. So, don't expect anything better in GHL.

I just got slightly used Atlas. I was thinking about Grand HL to wait for it, but then it will have mediocre, short seats like SIenna, assembly quality is like that that you can see with your eyes that gaps are too large in some areas, and in others, they fit OK.
I was thinking about the Pilot, but then, it is a brand new model, a new 10-speed in Honda, which somehow always manages to have some transmission issues, and of course, VCM.

If you don't like VW, I would stick with Palisade a bit until there is some feedback about Pilot. It seems Honda invested a lot in this Pilot. It is still smaller than Atlas, by a bit behind 2nd row, but non the less; big car.

FWIW the 10 speed has been around since 2020 and there have been a few updates, etc. but nothing I was concerned with.

Back