BIG mid-sized SUV knowledge

You forgot the Subaru Ascent :sneaky:

doesn't the non-Grand Highlander have enough space for you? :unsure:

Too bad you don't want a minivan, because the Sienna is a 4-cylinder hybrid so it won't be difficult to work on. Ford will discontinue the Transit Connect after the 2023 model year, and it is a non-turbo I4 with a non-CVT automatic.
Subaru is pretty small comparatively. Maybe not on the outside, but inside it is. And I have a friend who runs the subaru shop I used to work at, said he wouldn’t buy one.

Non-grand definitely isn’t big enough for us.

Really wish the Grand Highlander were out and Toyota didn’t sell at a premium…seems like the best bet, but also would want to give it a year or two on the road before we bought.
Is the regular hylander not big enough? 48 Cu feet behind the second row is more than you have now?

I was hesitant to buy our 2019 Rav4 in its first year of production. While there were some bugs for the very, very first ones out, by mid year they had most of them fixed. I don't think Toyota is as good as it once was, but I would buy a first year Toyo again, but wouldn't for really any other brands.

The good news also is Toyota generally has the best resale, if it ends up you don't like it.

Ford has a horrid reputation these days, and Yukon/SUburban etc. are just ridiculous. When you drive behind them, you just know that independent suspension was an afterthought. Which begs the question, what else is an afterthought? And then those buttons to manually change gears? When I saw that, I was wondering whether they were trying to outdo Tesla in the most ridiculous operations done by a driver.
What is ridiculous? They are the number one seller in the full size class.....

You forgot the Subaru Ascent :sneaky:

doesn't the non-Grand Highlander have enough space for you? :unsure:

Too bad you don't want a minivan, because the Sienna is a 4-cylinder hybrid so it won't be difficult to work on. Ford will discontinue the Transit Connect after the 2023 model year, and it is a non-turbo I4 with a non-CVT automatic.
HL is one of the smallest, if not the smallest SUV in that class (maybe CX-9 has smaller trunk). The designed HL with assumption that people will buy it just bcs. Toyota.
Then Honda had that 3rd generation Pilot which is dramatically bigger as well as Palisade/Telluride and Atlas.
They registered Grand name 3yrs ago as they realized they missed opportunity. GHL is supposed to be HL 4-5 years ago. Now, they are catching up.

Sienna is good if mpg and space are two absolute priorities. If you require power, clearance, quiet operation, it is really not good choice.

HL is one of the smallest, if not the smallest SUV in that class (maybe CX-9 has smaller trunk). The designed HL with assumption that people will buy it just bcs. Toyota.
Then Honda had that 3rd generation Pilot which is dramatically bigger as well as Palisade/Telluride and Atlas.
They registered Grand name 3yrs ago as they realized they missed opportunity. GHL is supposed to be HL 4-5 years ago. Now, they are catching up.

Sienna is good if mpg and space are two absolute priorities. If you require power, clearance, quiet operation, it is really not good choice.

The new Sienna should have good low-end power since it's a hybrid with that electric motor's torque :unsure:

Is the regular hylander not big enough? 48 Cu feet behind the second row is more than you have now?

I was hesitant to buy our 2019 Rav4 in its first year of production. While there were some bugs for the very, very first ones out, by mid year they had most of them fixed. I don't think Toyota is as good as it once was, but I would buy a first year Toyo again, but wouldn't for really any other brands.

The good news also is Toyota generally has the best resale, if it ends up you don't like it.

It is small! Also, big issue is third row. A REALLY big issue. Not only that it is super small, trunk behind is also small. Really small.

So we have a Hyundai Palisade that has been a headache. We may get out of it…if it were fixed or never had problems, we wouldn’t be considering anything else. But its cargo space is the minimum we can deal with as we load it full, as well as an XXL Thule roof box, on camping trips. We have about 46 cu. ft. behind 2nd row. Wife wants a 3rd row just in case of friends, family (we do use it occasionally).

Problems with ours: vibration they can’t fix, tire wear issue they can’t find a reason for (front tires noticeably / badly feathering within 5k miles that I rotate at) (they checked and adjusted alignment, tried to say it’s fixed, but alignment was only 0.02 degree out / front toe and likely due to them replacing the transfer case as they probably removed the subframe), and damage dealers causing while in for service that state AG is now involved with as Hyundai won’t take our back.

We can jump into another Palisade (probably). We have a limited, the new limiteds are butt ugly with ugly wheels and about 4 different exterior finishes (gloss black grill, satin gray parts, chrome parts, and body color parts). We’d consider going down to XRT for the looks, but then we lose value (a lot less options, likely much less trade in value) and I don’t exactly know if Hyundai can make that make sense for us…I’m definitely not taking a hit for a car they can’t fix.

Pilot has more cargo room now. I just dislike Hondas engine/trans track record (oil burning, stupid VCM, trans problems that always seem to arise with Honda v6 when they’re out of warranty, and the whole thing of them using a timing belt still, that’s just a big expense that most modern cars don’t have anymore).

VW Atlas has comparable / more cargo room, but I’ve never been a VW fan. New VW seem to have alot of lemon / buyback cases lately at least concerning their SUVs.

Chevy Traverse. More cargo room, nice looking SUV, but I’ve never thought well of Chevys if they weren’t v8 full framed full sized vehicles. Seem like a mess to work on, with common, premature problems as compared to other / import vehicles.

Really wish the Grand Highlander were out and Toyota didn’t sell at a premium…seems like the best bet, but also would want to give it a year or two on the road before we bought.

Grand Cherokee L. More cargo room I think, but for the 3.6s problems, they sure ask a pretty penny for what they are. I can’t see spending 50k ish for a middle of the line grand Cherokee L when you can be pretty sure it’ll be problematic.

Any personal or professional experience with these large mid sized SUVs? Wife is absolutely against another minivan. And unfortunately a Tahoe is pretty expensive / she’s afraid of driving one.

Appreciate it!

Do you ever plan to do any towing?

Didn’t realize they have 48 cu. Ft. They definitely don’t look like it when you check it out in person.

I’m glad you aren’t considering an Ascent. Very problematic. Probably the only Subaru I would not buy. You will be replacing brakes about every 15k on those. Plus plagued with electrical problems. I have no personal experience with any of the vehicles on your list but I only see two that I’d even consider that’s the Pilot and the Traverse (which have problems of catching on fire).

No. We thought about getting a pop up camper one day, but it’ll likely never happen. Just a hitch for a bike rack.

You could also put a hitch mounted storage box on the back - very convenient.

You dont care if it's 4x2 or 2WD?

Back