BIG mid-sized SUV knowledge

Test drive a Grand Cherokee, I'm not saying buy one, but you will be impressed.
Have they gotten over their major engine issues? I can do oil coolers and radiators (and do every day of the week on promasters) but would I want to have to on my own car? So prematurely? Not really. And what if I end up with a noisy cam/lifter/misfire, or oil pump, or I thought some of them went through cylinder heads too? Not sure why everyone calls these such good engines…even the guys we use for warranty work call them good too, but admit to all these common, kind of major problems.

Have they gotten over their major engine issues? I can do oil coolers and radiators (and do every day of the week on promasters) but would I want to have to on my own car? So prematurely? Not really. And what if I end up with a noisy cam/lifter/misfire, or oil pump, or I thought some of them went through cylinder heads too? Not sure why everyone calls these such good engines…even the guys we use for warranty work call them good too, but admit to all these common, kind of major problems.
Haven't seen problems like you stated around here with mine or friends of mine, alot of people are having problems with carbon build up in the heads of their engines after a few years, inwhich Hemi and Pentastars don't have that problem.

Atlas’ are plentiful in our area though. Kind of weird when this segment of SUVs is selling before arrival. They are also below MSRP, without even asking…advertised that way.
My nearby VW dealer has had vehicles at least 1k off the entire time. Even when there were zero new cars on the lot they still had them discounted for those in transit . I know a salesman real well and he said they did it to increase their allotment for the future.

GCs are small. The inside is smaller than the outside looks. Even the L isn’t that big. It’s like Durango size.

The 8 speed isn’t bullet proof either. It’s pretty good for a FCA installed trans but it’s still FCA built. I put 2 units in last week. 2 valve bodies the week before.

3.6 is ok. Decent power. Random issues as you know. Oil coolers. Yep. Pumps. Yep. Lifters yep. Rockers. Yep. Cams probably. Leaks likely. Coils yep.

Would not be on my list. Based on size alone let alone quality

Tahoe with the 3.0 Duramax is a sweet ride with 25-30 mpg fuel economy

Not sure where they are - none near me … my coworker got one trucked from Michigan to Mississippi … they wanted the diesel and the FWIS their previous one did not have …

Why the huge difference in towing ability when Hp and torque are so similar?

I’ve been reading the trans is the weak spot, but they use the same trans, don’t they? V6 vs 4cylinder.

I would also want a factory tucked up look for my hitch and would likely do what you said, cut the bumper. I’d love to get the fuel economy benefit of the 4, especially if the lack of power isn’t noticeable. We’re used to about 15mpg with the palisade, it managed low 20s on road trips fully loaded with a roof box.
Bcs. Hardware. Engine is fine.
VR6 comes with bigger transmission cooler, bigger radiator fans, stronger alternator.
Engine can tow, that is not an issue. When you limit towing to VR6, you make more money selling more expensive model.

Not sure where they are - none near me … my coworker got one trucked from Michigan to Mississippi … they wanted the diesel and the FWIS their previous one did not have …

I’ve heard from a shop manager that the new duramax should be avoided, just FYI.

GCs are small. The inside is smaller than the outside looks. Even the L isn’t that big. It’s like Durango size.

The 8 speed isn’t bullet proof either. It’s pretty good for a FCA installed trans but it’s still FCA built. I put 2 units in last week. 2 valve bodies the week before.

3.6 is ok. Decent power. Random issues as you know. Oil coolers. Yep. Pumps. Yep. Lifters yep. Rockers. Yep. Cams probably. Leaks likely. Coils yep.

Would not be on my list. Based on size alone let alone quality
Thanks. Real world experience goes a long way in my opinion. I know in the real world you don’t see the good cars generally, because you’re just seeing the problem cars. But my sample of 4-500 or whatever we have promasters are pretty much ALL problematic. They are almost ALL beat daily, drivers aren’t held responsible for anything, but they really aren’t holding up well. And they utilize at least the same engine.

Which engine is proven and reliable? The v6 or turbo 4?

Are they easily maintained at home?

This is the engine bay with the 2.0T. Everything is accessible and tons of space to work. Tons of online support for maintenance/repair videos if you want to do it yourself.

0119A7F3-EE62-4994-9397-BD87ADDEED20.jpeg

Just saying manufacturers are getting awfully picky with their motor oils. Can’t just be a synthetic 0w40 or 5w40, or even with my Hyundai, they want some specially rated 5w30 that almost no oils meet.
Current model Atlas’ with both 2.0T and vR6 call for a 0W-30 VW 504/507.

I was concerned at first, but there are numerous online stores that ship kits with everything you need for not much more than you’d pay normally for 6 quarts/filter/drainplug for another vehicle.

Last edited:
We have a 2022 Grand Cherokee L, limited. With 4x4 quadratrac 1. Only issue we had (seems all newly built cars past few years have issues) is a thumping that required new motor mounts. We last had a 2011 with the 3.6 and put 100k trouble free miles on it. Overall we love the Jeep, love the look and the redesigned interior with the U connect. We have two young kids and two dogs and make it work. I will say I wish I’d gotten the tow package because adding a receiver hitch after the fact required bumper removal and cuts and is about a grand.

Gas mpg prob averages 18 in suburban south Florida not great but ok for our needs.

We had a 2021 Tahoe Duramax before this that had frequent no starts and we loved it but got fed up. Checked out the GCL and even though it was downgrading the stupid trade in offer we got made the decision easy.
Lastly, our dealers seem fine on GCL inventory so there was plenty of negotiating room on the Jeep. The MSRP on these things is high but we paid below that just 6 months ago in this market. Take one for a spin it’s a nice ride.

Why the huge difference in towing ability when Hp and torque are so similar?

I’ve been reading the trans is the weak spot, but they use the same trans, don’t they? V6 vs 4cylinder.

I would also want a factory tucked up look for my hitch and would likely do what you said, cut the bumper. I’d love to get the fuel economy benefit of the 4, especially if the lack of power isn’t noticeable. We’re used to about 15mpg with the palisade, it managed low 20s on road trips fully loaded with a roof box.

You CAN add the tow package to a 2.0T. But it still won’t be the 5k rating.

Our 2.0T gets 24 - 26+ on longer highway trips. Right around 18-20 in town.

If you can make do with the reduced towing on the 2.0T I strongly recommend it! A 2.0T with 4motion is a great package.

We have a 2022 Grand Cherokee L, limited. With 4x4 quadratrac 1. Only issue we had (seems all newly built cars past few years have issues) is a thumping that required new motor mounts. We last had a 2011 with the 3.6 and put 100k trouble free miles on it. Overall we love the Jeep, love the look and the redesigned interior with the U connect. We have two young kids and two dogs and make it work. I will say I wish I’d gotten the tow package because adding a receiver hitch after the fact required bumper removal and cuts and is about a grand.

Gas mpg prob averages 18 in suburban south Florida not great but ok for our needs.

We had a 2021 Tahoe Duramax before this that had frequent no starts and we loved it but got fed up. Checked out the GCL and even though it was downgrading the stupid trade in offer we got made the decision easy.
Lastly, our dealers seem fine on GCL inventory so there was plenty of negotiating room on the Jeep. The MSRP on these things is high but we paid below that just 6 months ago in this market. Take one for a spin it’s a nice ride.
Thanks for the report. Tahoe with Duramax or Grand Cherokee L will be one of my next vehicles. I know the Duramax had starting issues, but are suppose to have that fixed in 2023???? Was a Chevy guy early on, but got tired of frequent visits to the shop for repairs made me a Ram/ Jeep guy. We had great luck with Ram and Jeep but this little Duramax in a Tahoe sounds sweet. My wife hates fueling diesels, so Grand Cherokee is the only vehicle she insists to look at these days. I had a 2012, 2017 and know a 2020 Grand Cherokee with close to 250,000 total miles on them three and had excellent luck with them. Thanks for your info!

We bought a new 2021 Chevrolet Traverse RS after driving both a Palisade and a Telluride. I could feel a driveline vibration in both. We also drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee L but the second row bucket seats were more comfortable in the Chevy, however, the 8 speed in the Jeep is smoother. Currently has 11,000 miles on it and we really like it. Lots of cargo space and very comfortable on long trips. 3.6 engine has plenty of power and is pretty good on fuel.

Running Mobil 1 EP 5W-30

Current model Atlas’ with both 2.0T and vR6 call for a 0W-30 VW 504/507.

I was concerned at first, but there are numerous online stores that ship kits with everything you need for not much more than you’d pay normally for 6 quarts/filter/drainplug for another vehicle.
Both engines can run VW502.00. Actually, due to fuel dilution, VW502.00 is probably preferred in VR6. It is also readily available in Wal Mart.

Thanks for the report. Tahoe with Duramax or Grand Cherokee L will be one of my next vehicles. I know the Duramax had starting issues, but are suppose to have that fixed in 2023???? Was a Chevy guy early on, but got tired of frequent visits to the shop for repairs made me a Ram/ Jeep guy. We had great luck with Ram and Jeep but this little Duramax in a Tahoe sounds sweet. My wife hates fueling diesels, so Grand Cherokee is the only vehicle she insists to look at these days. I had a 2012, 2017 and know a 2020 Grand Cherokee with close to 250,000 total miles on them three and had excellent luck with them. Thanks for your info!
So my Tahoe was the RST all blacked out, awesome looking ride I couldn’t stop staring at. The Duramax provides great smooth power and 20mpg city 25-26 highway. The no start left us stranded at the worst times and was unpredictable. You could walk away for 3 hours and try again and it would start, or it only needed 2, or 4. Really random. I do miss the Tahoe but with diesel prices and the deal we got on the GCL I’m satisfied.
Our GCL is white, considering wrapping the top black, the ten interior is really nice in the heat here in Florida. Overall I’m pretty impressed with the updates in the 21 redesign. If we didn’t have this I’d be eyeing that grand Highlander hard.

One changes water pump or timing chain guide or whole engine. You are right.
Yup, people neglecting their cars, for the most part. And some due to poor assembly. Unfortunately, changing the guides on that 7 series is just as expensive....for just the chain guides.

All bantering aside, we both know the vast majority of every brand of cars is reliable, and few owners will have issues. Plus we're off topic. I wish the OP luck with whatever brand he chooses.

Last edited:
Back