BIG mid-sized SUV knowledge

The 4 cylinder is a timing chain engine?

How much of a worry is this crazy braking issue that was all the news awhile back? The atlas’s were just automatically coming to a screeching halt for no reason?
Yes. But, issues were resolved in 2012. That is 1st gen EA888. Atlas has 3rd generation EA888 2.0T.

Sorry your experience hasn't lived up to expectations. We've had nothing but excellent service from our '22. It's completed a 3500 mile Miami-Toronto-Miami trip, loaded with 4 adults, one five year old and luggage. Plus a few 600 mile road trips in Florida itself. Nothing but compliments. Maybe try a Pilot or new Grand Highlander or Atlas.

You forgot the Subaru Ascent :sneaky:

doesn't the non-Grand Highlander have enough space for you? :unsure:

Too bad you don't want a minivan, because the Sienna is a 4-cylinder hybrid so it won't be difficult to work on. Ford will discontinue the Transit Connect after the 2023 model year, and it is a non-turbo I4 with a non-CVT automatic.
Minivan is an even better suggestion. Our minivan was our hero during the tweens and teen years!

Minivan is an even better suggestion. Our minivan was our hero during the tweens and teen years!
After having fairly small SUV (X5) than minivan (Sienna) than pretty large SUV (Atlas) I realized that only advantage of minivan are sliding doors. They are game changer when kids are in diapers, strollers etc. Once out of that, sliding doors are only thing.
For us minivan was restricting us when visiting some places due to low clearance.

Both and yes.

IMO the better buy is the 2.0t, especially with a mild tune. We bought the VR6 because it was the only option for the 2019 SEL-P.
I doubt I’d be tuning a new / family car.

We drove a used v6 just now. 30k miles on it, has the 21” wheels. Definitely felt the road more (dips cracks etc), but it rode very well at highway speeds. Even getting to the highway it short shifted so fast, I think we must’ve been in 5th or 6th only doing 40mph, it kept it at like 1k rpm or as close as it could. It didn’t seem to lug or struggle while it did that, though, as I would’ve expected it to. I guess the vr6 has plenty down low. I’d like to drive a 4 cylinder to see as well, but for a couple few year old with 30k on it, impressive. Things inside weren’t as plush and luxurious, but nice enough. Cargo was measurably more “square” and larger in every dimension.

Is the vr6 timing chain as well?

As far as either engine, turbo 4 or vr6, does it take some goofy ass engine oil vw999.6830553 spec or some crap?

After having fairly small SUV (X5) than minivan (Sienna) than pretty large SUV (Atlas) I realized that only advantage of minivan are sliding doors. They are game changer when kids are in diapers, strollers etc. Once out of that, sliding doors are only thing.
For us minivan was restricting us when visiting some places due to low clearance.
None of mine are in diaper anymore and I will still take the minivan all day. We had a Yukon XL (full) Enclave (mid) and Sienna (van.) Third row access is better. More head room. More maneuverable. Huge windows with superb visibility. And with the hybrid we are getting 30+ mpg.

That said we don’t go off the beaten path so yeah no issue there. I see why that is downside. I’d be looking for mid SUV in your situation.

I think the VW Atlas 2.0T would be worth a look. It’s rear cargo is a little smaller than the GM offerings but, not by much.

That's a goofy ass way of looking at it, but yes. VW 504/507.
Just saying manufacturers are getting awfully picky with their motor oils. Can’t just be a synthetic 0w40 or 5w40, or even with my Hyundai, they want some specially rated 5w30 that almost no oils meet.

None of mine are in diaper anymore and I will still take the minivan all day. We had a Yukon XL (full) Enclave (mid) and Sienna (van.) Third row access is better. More head room. More maneuverable. Huge windows with superb visibility. And with the hybrid we are getting 30+ mpg.

That said we don’t go off the beaten path so yeah no issue there. I see why that is downside. I’d be looking for mid SUV in your situation.
I rented hybrid Sienna to see whether it would be option after getting rid of 2015 Sienna. It is almost as low to the ground as my BMW, that I track. There are other issues with it that I just couldn’t get over. I daily BMW, so for me city mpg is irrelevant.

Just saying manufacturers are getting awfully picky with their motor oils. Can’t just be a synthetic 0w40 or 5w40, or even with my Hyundai, they want some specially rated 5w30 that almost no oils meet.
It is really easy to find VW504.00/507.00. Every AAP and AZ carries Mobil1 ESP 0W30 and AZ carries Mobil1 ESP 5W30. Actually, AZ has STP that meets (not approved though) VW504.00/507.00. Amazon has slew of those oils at good price and VW dealership sells at good price.
European manufacturers use approvals sine mid 1990’s. It is designed so you don’t have to think whether certain oil is appropriate or not. Oil is approved for VW504.00/507.00? Good to go! We at BITOG like to discuss that, but for average user, oil is approved and that is it! As for Hyundai/KIA, they have recommendations for oils that don’t exist!

It is really easy to find VW504.00/507.00. Every AAP and AZ carries Mobil1 ESP 0W30 and AZ carries Mobil1 ESP 5W30. Actually, AZ has STP that meets (not approved though) VW504.00/507.00. Amazon has slew of those oils at good price and VW dealership sells at good price.
European manufacturers use approvals sine mid 1990’s. It is designed so you don’t have to think whether certain oil is appropriate or not. Oil is approved for VW504.00/507.00? Good to go! We at BITOG like to discuss that, but for average user, oil is approved and that is it! As for Hyundai/KIA, they have recommendations for oils that don’t exist!
Good to know, thank you.

Yes, as far as Hyundai goes, even when I worked in the dealer we just used bulk 5w30 when these engines came out. Non-synthetic at that. When I was researching buying this Palisade, first stop was to talk to a couple of the guys I trust and worked with. They said they still just used bulk 5w30 and treat it like any old Hyundai v6. I’m sure that’s fine, but since I DIY maintain it, I wanted my records to reflect that I abided by their specs. What a pain it was to identify oils that actually meet their specs. I think it came down to pennzoil platinum, Castrol edge, and Quaker state ultimate durability. But when you see 5w30, you’d think any synthetic would be fine (I’m sure it would be).

I’m currently browsing through VW vortex, but you guys may know right away…

Are brakes serviceable at home? Is there a scan tool work around like there is with many cars and their electric park brakes?

I guess I’d need to buy triple squares or what type of specialty tools do they need that I wouldn’t have?

I obviously need to drive a 4cylinder, but I feel like it’s going to have to “struggle” in comparison to that 6…how it just grunted along at such low rpms to get up to speed really showed it’s low end torque.

Good to know, thank you.

Yes, as far as Hyundai goes, even when I worked in the dealer we just used bulk 5w30 when these engines came out. Non-synthetic at that. When I was researching buying this Palisade, first stop was to talk to a couple of the guys I trust and worked with. They said they still just used bulk 5w30 and treat it like any old Hyundai v6. I’m sure that’s fine, but since I DIY maintain it, I wanted my records to reflect that I abided by their specs. What a pain it was to identify oils that actually meet their specs. I think it came down to pennzoil platinum, Castrol edge, and Quaker state ultimate durability. But when you see 5w30, you’d think any synthetic would be fine (I’m sure it would be).
VW504.00/507.00 is one of the toughest specifications out there. HTHS is minimum 3.5 unlike regular 5W30 which is usually around 3. Usually thos eoils are approved for MB229.51/52 and BMW LL04. Each approval has its on advantages, so you are really getting state if the art oil. Mobil1 ESP 0W30 goes for $36 with filter for 5qt at AAP or AZ. I think Valvoline European Vehicle XL-III 5W30 goes for $102 for 3X5qt on Amazon:
Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic XL-III SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil 5 QT, Case of 3 https://a.co/d/0FJ1E3f

But, general consensus is Mobil1 ESP 5W30 is best out there.

I’m currently browsing through VW vortex, but you guys may know right away…

Are brakes serviceable at home? Is there a scan tool work around like there is with many cars and their electric park brakes?

I guess I’d need to buy triple squares or what type of specialty tools do they need that I wouldn’t have?

I obviously need to drive a 4cylinder, but I feel like it’s going to have to “struggle” in comparison to that 6…how it just grunted along at such low rpms to get up to speed really showed it’s low end torque.
Yes, rear calipers need to be in service mode, but most decent OBD tools will do it. However, flr VW there are also specialty OBD like OBD11 that you can use for service and coding, meaning you can get access to things that are in computer already, but turned off for your package or for American market.
2.0T is way better option. Big SUV Is moved by torque. 2.0T has 258lb-ft at 1,600 and flat curve line until 5,000rpms. VR6 has 266lb-Ft at 2,800rpms, but ghat is where it peaks. I tried both numerous times, 2.0T is MUCH better going uphill here in the Rockies. It never strughles. Far better going to ski than my Sienna V6 was. I use Atlas only when skiing with kids, and it zig-zags between cars easily. Transmission has really good programming and it is really fast. With Sienna I would manually shift going uphill to pass people. Atlas I just leave in D. Also, smaller engine means less understeer. You never feel this 2.0T pulling vehicle if you corner hard.
But, VR6 does have magnificent sound!

Last edited:
el in We don’t really need 4wd/awd here in maryland, but we did buy this palisade in awd because it was only like $1500 option and only 1mpg hit (supposedly). We also only get about 15mpg around town when we’re supposed to get 18-19.

How likely are you to move in the next 7-10 years?

Do you travel to or through areas with severe weather?

At least according to the car and driver article about the 24 atlas, it’s now going to be a 2.0 four cylinder twin turbo.

The 4 cylinder is a timing chain engine?

How much of a worry is this crazy braking issue that was all the news awhile back? The atlas’s were just automatically coming to a screeching halt for no reason?
I have an Atlas Cross Sport with the 3.6 engine. A couple points to mention. Even in the Cross Sport the interior space is huge. However these things are evidently hard to judge the width of and I’m becoming an expert at painting new passenger side mirror covers lol.
The braking issue is the one recall I’ve had and it was concerning the drivers door wiring harness connection and the way it was attached to the door frame. The mounting caused “excessive micromovement, leading to fretting corrosion of the door wiring harness terminal contact” which resulted in spotty contact btwn the contacts in the connectors. This caused the vehicle to think the driver door was opened and applied the brakes when the vehicle came to a stop, like under 1 mph and I barely felt it happening. This only happened to me during the coldest part of winter and never occurred on warm days. VW installed new connectors and zip tied them to the door frame at a better angle and all is good a year later.

Back