Best way to "renew" some neglected steel wheels on my daughter's CRV

I see no reason you could not make those look good with properly done rattle can.

I'd brush and 3m pad as much off as you can. Wipe them down with xylene, light very light coats of rust convertor.

Then very very light coats of a silver that you find looks close. Look close at the wheel paints by duplicolor and vht. Light coats so you don't get a run in the paint. Runs will make I look like a rattle can job.
Once clean, ive used the card trick, and wiped silicone on the tire AFTER the cards were in place so over spray does not stick.

I would sandblast them and then just use good spray paint
Did that once on some alloys. Don't ever want to do that again.

23.JPG

How much time do you really want to spend on this? Slap on some wheel covers and call it a day. If you want great wheels, buy nice wheels.
Too late! He's got the painting itch and it needs to be scratched!

Silver seems a bit boring, though. Now is the daughter's chance to put some spice into her CRV. On one car, I painted my winter rims bronze. Very nice.

Or instead of painting, Plasti-Dip them. If she hates the color, just peel it off.

Get a few different wire brushes for your drill/etc. Get some 220 grit sandpaper.

Take the wheels off, use a folding table and go to work getting the rust off. Your idea of steel wool is the last step before cleaning and spray painting.

Clean them up, then use some silver/gray spray paint. Do 3-5 coats, let them dry at least over night. I'd even put a fan on them overnight, either in the garage, under a carport/porch or last resort, just outside. But the paint needs to really dry.

Throw them back on and let it roll.

I did this about 30 years ago on my 1990 Mazda B2600i. I was 30 years younger, had more time, energy and strength. They looked better than new!

OH NO! Put down the PD and slowly back away. That stuff starts peeling after 6 months and looks like a skin disease making removal a huge pain.
It worked well for me on rims, including through multiple winters. I did spray a thin layer of spray paint over the top of it since it's such a brake dust magnet. Maybe I didn't give it enough curing time on that one.

Post a picture of the car and we can give you suggestions to get the wheel's condition to match the car's condition.

How about allow wheels from same year car from junkyard?

Back