Best way to "renew" some neglected steel wheels on my daughter's CRV

I don't think they look that bad... the patina adds depth and character. If you spray them it'll be the "wrong" color like others have said. And like others said, do a real good job or leave them alone.

Duplicolor and VHT (same company Now) have a wheel and rim paint product. light silver fleck, dark grey fleck, black and clear. I’ve used it numerous times and have never been disappointed. My truck has oem takeoffs I bought cheap, sanded, and sprayed with this paint. If the prep is half decent, it stays in place and cures hard for a single stage paint. Usable in a few hours, but needs 7 days to totally cure. I’ve done oil pans, trans pans, wheels, and body panels with this stuff. light silver/light grey will look factory on those wheels. Clear coat will add hardness, shine and depth. Using painters tape or a deck of cards to mask the rubber off. Enjoy!

Duplicolor and VHT (same company Now) have a wheel and rim paint product. light silver fleck, dark grey fleck, black and clear. I’ve used it numerous times and have never been disappointed. My truck has oem takeoffs I bought cheap, sanded, and sprayed with this paint. If the prep is half decent, it stays in place and cures hard for a single stage paint. Usable in a few hours, but needs 7 days to totally cure. I’ve done oil pans, trans pans, wheels, and body panels with this stuff. light silver/light grey will look factory on those wheels. Clear coat will add hardness, shine and depth. Using painters tape or a deck of cards to mask the rubber off. Enjoy!
Dupli-Color and VHT are both brands of Sherwin-Williams. It’s the only things SW makes that hasn’t been ruined, unlike their house paint.

I do heavy prep (90% of painting is the prep) and use satin silver POR19 or a K2 paint
(the kind U mix in the can). Neither is ur 8$ rattle can but they R in those type cans
AND
hold up to a tire machine or other after paint abuse.

Last I looked it was w a y less than powder coat (100$/wheel, min) or 'low
crum count' bed liner (my 2nd choice...something like Raptor). HTH, good luck~

Gloss black paint with some shiny new lugs nuts is nice. I did that with the steel wheels on my 03 Tracker and got a few comments on them. Shine up those centre caps too.

This is what I'd use.

Although if you paint over those wheel weights, it might look a little tacky on your next tire change when they remove them.

D6B22E58-702F-4677-82AA-56BA8D7F1CC4.jpeg

I’m like you in thinking that 99% of the rattle can wheels look bad. However, I painted the wheels on my 95 Wrangler 4 years ago and they still look great today. I used some wheel specific rattle cans from our local Farm store. A good sanding and use of playing cards to protect the tires made for a nice laying of the paint. It took a full day to do light coats until I was happy. I also clear coated them.

They show in these pictures, though my focus was on the large crack in the asphalt.

I’ve also painted wheels still on the car using the playing card method. Vice Grip garage has a video on protecting tires when painting wheels. It’s in a video on cheaply painting a truck.

Attachments

• 224EC82E-11C0-4D90-8234-48B469981C01.jpeg
    224EC82E-11C0-4D90-8234-48B469981C01.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 87EA904F-E15D-4BF1-9675-4B60DA0AA9CB.jpeg
    87EA904F-E15D-4BF1-9675-4B60DA0AA9CB.jpeg
    309 KB · Views: 35
I’m like you in thinking that 99% of the rattle can wheels look bad. However, I painted the wheels on my 95 Wrangler 4 years ago and they still look great today. I used some wheel specific rattle cans from our local Farm store. A good sanding and use of playing cards to protect the tires made for a nice laying of the paint. It took a full day to do light coats until I was happy. I also clear coated them.

They show in these pictures, though my focus was on the large crack in the asphalt.

I’ve also painted wheels still on the car using the playing card method. Vice Grip garage has a video on protecting tires when painting wheels. It’s in a video on cheaply painting a truck.
Yeah, thats what Im looking for. Not too silver looking

Here is what I did when wife's car needed new winter tires.
Took old tires off, removed valves and weights, used wire brush on power drill to clean rust off and to smooth wheels out, blown dust off, wiped, spray painted with TremClad Rust flat black. All work was done on outer side of the wheels only. Put new tires on (new valves and balanced). They look like new and will last another few years.

$600 with tax and shipping vs. a $10 can of spray paint on an 18 year old car just for cosmetics? Don't think so.
The spray paint will cost a lot more than $10.00, and the amount of labor involved, based on the proper amount of prep work needed that other posters have suggested be done for decent results, will be WAY more $$$ value in labor hours than 'just' spray paint costs. Now if it's only cosmetics under consideration (versus safety considerations) forget spray paint and just slap on cheesy plastic wheel covers and call it a day. I do see some deep recesses in those wheels where deep, hidden rust is likely percolating, potentially destroying the structural integrity of the wheels, which is why, all things considered, I'd just go with new wheels.

The spray paint will cost a lot more than $10.00, and the amount of labor involved, based on the proper amount of prep work needed that other posters have suggested be done for decent results, will be WAY more $$$ value in labor hours than 'just' spray paint costs. Now if it's only cosmetics under consideration (versus safety considerations) forget spray paint and just slap on cheesy plastic wheel covers and call it a day. I do see some deep recesses in those wheels where deep, hidden rust is likely percolating, potentially destroying the structural integrity of the wheels, which is why, all things considered, I'd just go with new wheels.
3 hours total on this spray job to save $590. No brainer to me, especially on a couple thousand dollar car.

134Wheels painted.JPG

I decided to paint my own tires using the rattle cans. These are my winter set, so they’re in storage. There was a little bit of chipping, but for the most part, they held up well last winter season. They look fantastic when cleaned up and shined. I mean, best looking part of my ‘01 winter beater civic.

Attachments

• A39D942F-B34A-4343-96A7-451373CAD2D7.jpeg
    A39D942F-B34A-4343-96A7-451373CAD2D7.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 17
  • F3BE1C22-A1E1-42C4-B29C-DBF5362DDE66.jpeg
    F3BE1C22-A1E1-42C4-B29C-DBF5362DDE66.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 17
Back