Best Synthetic Oil For Cleaning

I would just run a synthetic with good Ester content and keep the oil changes to 4-5k.
redline has Been mentioned, the M1 high mileage oils are high in AN content which Has a lot of cleaning power. M1 0w40 has a good dose of esters and has cleaning claims. I wouldn’t bother with harsh solvent treatments. But the BG product he got will probably do a great job.

Old mechanic's trick was to dump half a bottle of Seafoam in the oil about 100 miles prior to a change. Other half of the bottle goes in the gas tank.

Old mechanic's trick was to dump half a bottle of Seafoam in the oil about 100 miles prior to a change. Other half of the bottle goes in the gas tank.
I'd use Gumour MultiSytem tune-up, it's like Seafoam but has PEA, PEA probably isn't very useful in the oil, but it's probably better to put in the gas tank than seafoam.

Do the next change at 3K and see what the oil looks like. I'm thinking you may not have a problem. I change my oil more than I change my diaper.
After 5K on all of my cars the oil was black. Went back to 3K OCI's and the oil is now just slightly darker than original color when new.

The oil is probably just doing its job ;)

They took the PEA out

But you have to go to a BG dealer and have them perform that service, he said the materials were like $300 alone, and since you're generally going to have to pay a mechanic to do it for you it'll be like $500-600, If I recall premium Blue restore is sold in cases of 4 gallons and costs about as much, and should more gradually break up formations, this BG kit seems to be more of the harsh solvent kind of flush that could break apart sludge rapidly and cause it to clog passages.

Gumout Multi does have PEA (it’s right on the front of the can), and it is great for unsticking rings when added to the motor oil and fuel at the same time in my experience.

Redline SI-1 has the most PEA per $ but put it in the fuel system only

Gumout Multi does have PEA (it’s right on the front of the can), and it is great for unsticking rings when added to the motor oil and fuel at the same time in my experience.

Chevron Techron has the most PEA per dollar the 32oz Techron is usually around the same price as the RedLine 15oz bottle and looking at the SDS they both have around the same concentration of PEA so the Techron is a greater value in terms of PEA content, although the Redline has a synthetic upper cylinder lube in it for whatever that's wort.

Gumout multi used to say PEA it doesn't anymore. They took it out. Gumout regane still has PEA

No they didn't, it literally says "Advance PEA Formula" on every can and the marketing material on Gumout's website explicitly says it has polyetheramine in it.
That's odd. The SDS for regane has PEA listed. SDS for multi does not. It must be from one of the several times they've taken it out.

Never done it but herd trans fluid is a good engine cleaner.
I will never need to unless I buy used.
Im OCD with oil changes

Redline SI-1 has more PEA per $ than Gumout Regaine if that’s what you’re looking for in the fuel system but Gumout Multi can be used in the oil sump.

Techron sold in a bottle doesn’t actually have that much PEA according to recent MSDS, so Redline wins there too.

Last edited:
Never done it but herd trans fluid is a good engine cleaner.
I will never need to unless I buy used.
Im OCD with oil changes
I've always heard that as well. I don't know why because motor oil has more detergents and dispersants than atf

I've always heard that as well. I don't know why because motor oil has more detergents and dispersants than atf
I think that back in the day atf had more detergents than most oils. Old mechanics I knew used it to clean engines. I would not use it today in modern engines with modern oils.

Why would you add any additive to the engine oil? It seems to me that an engine that new should not have a varnish build up. Just run some quality oil and be done with it. My 2003 Tacoma with 222,000 miles has no varnish or sludge anywhere running M1 at 10,000 mile intervals. If the engine is running warmer it seems to me it would be a good candidate for a quality synthetic oil instead of bulk oil.

Back