Best Synthetic Oil For Cleaning

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
For cleaning sludge, you need solvents. Red Line HP 5w-30 is up to 40% ester, a heavy solvent. That would be a better choice for you.

+1

+2

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
My sons new style 2004 F-150 Lariat with the 5.4 3 valve engine, 60K miles, still seems to be a bit dirty inside the engine. He has been letting the Ford dealership he works at, change his oil every 3-5K miles.
When he was changing it this past weekend l noticed it was very dirty for 5K miles. Before he bought the truck it had sat in a garage for almost 8 years. He bought it with 4.8K miles on it and the oil had not been changed in almost 9 years! This OCI he used Ansoil Signature Series 5W30 oil. I don't know anything about Amsoils cleaning abilities, so anyone that does know, please educate me. I'm thinking he should use Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, or M1 5W30 next OCI @ 3K miles to clean it out even more.
Opinions please? Thank You!
smile.gif

Pull a valve cover and inspect. Lots of regurgitating marketing claims here.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by paqza
Originally Posted by blufeb95
It ain't cheap but if you really want some cleaning power, I'd look into 10w30 Valvoline Premium Blue restore, would probably cost about $150 or so for the two gallons you need.
It's on Amazon for $24 a gallon?

It is the stuff in this thread, Amazon does not sell it:

Thread

Originally Posted by pbm
There are 2 different 'Valvoline Premium Blue Restore' 10w30's on Amazon....One is called 'One Solution 9200'....the other is called 8600ES.
Which one is the good one that we're talking about here?

Those are both regular Valvoline heavy duty diesel motor oil, Premium Blue Restore, is a specialty product that's around 50% ester specifically formulated to clean up Cummins ISX15 engines to reduce excessive oil consumption, it can only be purchased through a Cummins service center.

Never have your oil changed, unless you can see the work being done. I am not talking about sitting inside the vehicle and watching them install the new oil, thru the opening of the hood.

Drop the oil pan and wipe it out. Then brush the pickup screen.

Anything else is just pure fanciful thinking with no good results apparent..

You never want to induce severe cleaning in a dirty engine.
Like the old guys who poured kerosene and paint thinner in the sump a couple days before the oil change.

That will foul modern mechanisms.

And as is nearly always the case in this type of thread there's no real indication that the engine is indeed "dirty" or has sludge, only "still seems to be a bit dirty inside the engine". All these fixes being proposed and suggested but no evidence that the engine needs any of them.

When you say "still seems to be a bit dirty inside the engine" is this because you pulled the valve cover or pan and saw it was?

I think new Mobil 1 extended performance high mileage 20000 mile says it will virtually clean sludge in one oil change and $25 for 5 qt is good price. That only oil that claim to clean sludge my 1 choose

Originally Posted by PimTac
Who is Dave?

Dave's not home!
My sons shop foreman removed one of the valve covers this morning. There was no sludge but there was a very high amount of varnish on the valve train and head. He gave my son a can of BG motor flush to pour in about 25 miles before his next OCI. He said that should clean it right up!

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
My sons shop foreman removed one of the valve covers this morning. There was no sludge but there was a very high amount of varnish on the valve train and head. He gave my son a can of BG motor flush to pour in about 25 miles before his next OCI. He said that should clean it right up!

Sounds like a clean engine to me and nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
^^^ BG makes some good products.

Z06, you're absolutely correct!
When l worked in my uncles full serve gas station in the 80's, he carried BG-44K. Man, that's the BEST fuel/fuel injection cleaner around!
The dealership my son works at has the ultimate fuel injection cleaning system around. It's hooked up to the fuel rail and the engine runs off of the cleaner itself, no gas. I bet that gets the injection/valves/intakes as clean as a diamond in a goat's a**!
BTW, he only charged my son $20 labor and had a valve cover gasket laying on the shelf. The BG product was FREE as well.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Toh1
Dave can you please explain more for gtx ultra clean an

Good for sludge clean engine

Scored it for $5 clearance a few months ago @ Autozone
thumbsup2.gif
. Wish I found more than 1 jug but that was it out of 25 stores I have hit lol

Was used on my '01 Suburban 5.3 with 320K miles previous owner did a CRAZY one year 24K OCI on PYB
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

So ASAP out went the Pennzoil. In went the Castrol GTX 5W30 ultraclean+ 5oz Gumout multi-tune up in crankcase+ 5oz Marvel mystery oil.

Did a 2000 mile OCI "engine flush" with 166 pro-tec filter

Then My mechanic pulled valve covers(was replacing the original leaky valve cover gaskets) and said it did a VERY good job cleaning
thumbsup2.gif

In went Mobil 1 Truck/SUV 5W30
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Toh1
Dave can you please explain more for gtx ultra clean an

Good for sludge clean engine

My question was in response to this and I hadn't seen anyone named Dave in the discussion.

Will all this engine cleaning cause a leak? Some say syn may cause a leak because it cleans clogged holes ... and oil may leak because of that (cleanliness) and not because of using "synthetic" oil. Meaning synthetic uncovers an existing problem and not the cause.

So when I hear engine cleaning my mind goes to leaking
shocked2.gif

Back