Best shocks for very cold climate?

Hey folks, I need to get new shocks for my 2012 Chrysler 200 LX.

Unfortunately I don't know much about shocks. I want to get something good that is robust enough to handle a very cold climate. Does anyone have any advice they can give me about make and model?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Cannot comment much on passenger car shocks but rather my Trailblazer. Up in here in west central Sask, I've used American made Monroe sensatracs that were utter garbage and Bilstein 4600's which have been fantastic year round. Bilstein will be the first brand i look at for my other vehicles.

Cannot comment much on passenger car shocks but rather my Trailblazer. Up in here in west central Sask, I've used American made Monroe sensatracs that were utter garbage and Bilstein 4600's which have been fantastic year round. Bilstein will be the first brand i look at for my other vehicles.

I checked the Bilstein website, and it doesn't look like they make anything for my particular car. Sad.

Do you have the 2.4L 4 cylinder or the V6?
The reason that I ask is because the 4 cylinder models seem to be able to get the shocks/struts in the SACHS brand that I would recommend.

Others may prefer KYB but I think there is better still without going with high performance type of shocks/struts.
None of the major brands(Monroe, Gabriel, KYB) are what they used to be. Or you can try to stay with OE(original equipment).

Hey folks, I need to get new shocks for my 2012 Chrysler 200 LX.

Unfortunately I don't know much about shocks. I want to get something good that is robust enough to handle a very cold climate. Does anyone have any advice they can give me about make and model?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Most boast "all weather fluid". Probably would not matter which one you choose but I would stay away from performance shocks and go with OEM if they are still available.

Do you have the 2.4L 4 cylinder or the V6?
The reason that I ask is because the 4 cylinder models seem to be able to get the shocks/struts in the SACHS brand that I would recommend.

Others may prefer KYB but I think there is better still without going with high performance type of shocks/struts.
None of the major brands(Monroe, Gabriel, KYB) are what they used to be. Or you can try to stay with OE(original equipment).

2.4L.

the rep on Monroe is they wear out quickly, and might or might not be ok while they aren’t worn. That said, I personally had a used vehicle with sensatracks and found them to be very well matched for the vehicle I had them on and did a fine job without trouble. I would choose sachs better than Monroe. Kyb is worth a shot too, but sachs again would be a better bet. If I had to choose Monroe sensatracks, that would be ok.

Just choose any OEM ride quality (claimed) shock (don't you mean struts?) from a major brand. You (probably) don't want high dampening shocks because the cold weather will increase dampening by itself.

Now I will inject something argumentative. It's a near 12 year old Chrysler, don't pay a premium for shocks, save up the money for other problems soon to come. If you got by with the factory shocks this long, you don't even need the same quality replacements before it implodes. Best advice is if the ride isn't horrible yet, sell it without putting another dime into it. Come back in a few years and tell me I'm wrong, I always want updated information.

Maybe it’s a glitch, but if they’re actually $24 for the rear set 🤔

IMG_8639.jpg

IMG_8640.jpg

Hey Folks, thank you for all your responses so far. There doesn't appear to be all that much selection out there for my vehicle. I am leaning towards getting the KYB complete strut assemblies for my vehicle, from RockAuto probably.

I had good luck with kyb’s a long time ago… GR2s back when those were a thing. They were a little stiffer at first but wore in well. Probably a digressively valved shock. Let us know how yours settle in!

Back