Best wipers for hot, very dry climate?

I'm not sure what availability is like in your location, or who actually manufactures them, but AC Delco Professional "hybrid" wiper blades have become my go to favorite for the last couple of years. It's more humid here, but does get in the 100s *F in summer.

View attachment 122572
Top - Blade (Toyota). Includes the rubber "squeegee".
Bottom - Replacement rubber "squeegee".

Squeegees are available from both Honda and Toyota. I don't know if dealership parts counters stock just the squeegee; I mail order them from dealership websites.

To replace the squeegee;
  • Remove the blade from the wiper arm (it's just easier this way).
  • Find the end that looks similar to what is circled above. Note that part of the frame (tabs) sits in slots in the squeegee. This is how the squeegee is held on place.
  • Pull the squeegee to release it from the frame (don't bend the frame).
  • Remove the thin, metal stiffeners (arrowed).
  • Position the stiffeners in the new squeegee.
  • Slide the squeegee and stiffeners into the frame.
  • Pull on the squeegee to engage the locking tabs/slots.
  • Install the blade onto the arm.
Thanks a lot, Paulo. That looks like a good way to save money and get good results, too.

Post deleted by author. I had asked for opinions of a certain online parts vendor for premium wiper blades. I've since found many negative reviews of the vendor, so I figured I'd just pull my post so as not to risk bringing back bad memories.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what availability is like in your location, or who actually manufactures them, but AC Delco Professional "hybrid" wiper blades have become my go to favorite for the last couple of years. It's more humid here, but does get in the 100s *F in summer.
Those AC Delcos do look good, but I'm wondering about their suitability for the climate I'm in. I grew up in the southeastern US (you're in Alabama right?) and am familiar with very hot, high-humidity conditions. There, though, I never saw the sort of rubber deterioration that I'm observing in the very arid, often very hot climate where I am presently. I think the sunlight as much as anything takes its toll on rubber. The tires on the car when I bought it didn't have that many miles on them, but boy did they show deterioration, apparently from the sunlight but maybe heat, too. Mainly there were zillions of hairline cracks in the rubber, especially on the sides but also in the tread. Then I noticed the same in the wiper blades.

Before I found this forum, I actually Skype-phoned an O'Reillys in Yuma, Arizona, which seems to have a climate similar to the one where I am. Without hesitating, the guy recommended Bosch PUVs. He seemed to understand the situation. I didn't get into the silicone option with him. I know sometimes parts dealers are partial to the brands they carry or on which they get the best markup, but they guy did seem to know what he was talking about.

[chasman5] "Can beam style blades fit on an classic (circa 2006-07) wiper arm? My 2006 Honda Jazz is apparently the equivalent of a 2007 Honda Fit in the USA."

I have beam style blades on my 1980 Firebird FORMULA

I can vouch for bosch aerotwin retrofit. Been using them since 2008. Tried OEM (toyota), rain X and a couple of others, keep going back to these.
Light weight, quiet, little wing noise when operating. Availability in the US may be an issue though.
A couple of times / year, I treat the rubber blades with some thin rubber lube (trim / tyre restorer).
Using good washer additive, will lubricate & help the rubber operation.

Attachments

• 1667744940393.jpg
    1667744940393.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 2
My thoughts exactly. The refills can be had for about $8-10 each and my local dealer installs them for free.
Furthermore, I don't get all the hype around these new blades, whether they are beam, hybrid etc; let alone the price! The genuine Honda, all metal hinged blades do their job well. I think wiper manufactrers are learning their gimmicks from the other blade companies like Gillette! I use a single blade disposable BIC and guess what? It works! Just my 2c.

Back