Best non-beam wipers with a conventional frame besides expensive NWB

For conventional frame-style wiper blades, my go-to was always the ANCO 31-Series, until the last set I purchased in 2020 when they switched to plastic. The first time that I got ice on my windshield and tried to free them, they broke. The last set that I purchased were Bosch Excel+, they are more expensive than the ANCOs but are all metal and holding-up well so-far.

For conventional frame-style wiper blades, my go-to was always the ANCO 31-Series, until the last set I purchased in 2020 when they switched to plastic. The first time that I got ice on my windshield and tried to free them, they broke. The last set that I purchased were Bosch Excel+, they are more expensive than the ANCOs but are all metal and holding-up well so-far.
Couldn't find just the blade inserts for my stock wipers (2002 Trailblazer, 22") so I ordered Anco 14-22. They state all metal construction. I hope their web site is correct. The 31 series are made of "polymer" i.e., plastic.

Last edited:
Couldn't find just the blade inserts for my stock wipers (2002 Trailblazer, 22") so I ordered Anco 14-22. They state all metal construction. I hope their web site it correct. The 31 series are made of "polymer" i.e., plastic.

Let me know if they are actually metal. They are much less expensive than the Bosch Excel+. like 40% of the price. Having said that, the Bosch Excel+ blades that I have installed now have held-up exceptionally well, going on 2 years (really good for being in the Texas sun), about double the life that I was getting from the Anco 31-Series.

Last edited:
Let me know if they are actually metal. They are much less expensive than the Bosch Excel+. like 40% of the price. Having said that, the Bosch Excel+ blades that are instilled now have held-up exceptionally well, going on 2 years, about double the life that I was getting from the Anco 31 Series.
I'll post here what the frames are made of when they get here. Supposed to be here today from Amazon, but we have a little ice and sleet problem here in DFW today so I'm sure they will be delayed. I'm not going anywhere anyway!

The Valeo models that used to be the $20 a pair Motorcraft specials
Easily identified on RockAuto as the only frame style with the peel off sticker to indicate wear

Edit: Valeo Ultimate Traditional
Under the "Improved frame style" heading on RockAuto
$6-10 each, a reasonable price IMO 👀

Last edited:
Let me know if they are actually metal. They are much less expensive than the Bosch Excel+. like 40% of the price. Having said that, the Bosch Excel+ blades that I have installed now have held-up exceptionally well, going on 2 years (really good for being in the Texas sun), about double the life that I was getting from the Anco 31-Series.
Only a week late, but I got them and they are definitely metal.

Back