Best oil to quiet down kia 3.5L v6 at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were problems with the timing chain tensioners on the earlier versions of those motors in Hyundai world which led to the symptoms you describe. One cause was using non OEM filters, but in the end the solution is to replace the timing chain tensioners... a really nasty and expensive repair.

Lucas oil stabilizer??

27.gif

I have a 2013 EX V6.

Doesn't seem to matter if I use an OEM filter or an after market filter in my Sorento. The 3.5 V6 is always noisy on star tup when cold, worse in cold weather, but it always quiets down quickly.

BTW the engine seems to really like Kendall GT1 Synth Blend.

Originally Posted By: Deamos
I have a 2013 EX V6.

Doesn't seem to matter if I use an OEM filter or an after market filter in my Sorento. The 3.5 V6 is always noisy on star tup when cold, worse in cold weather, but it always quiets down quickly.

BTW the engine seems to really like Kendall GT1 Synth Blend.

No doubt about it, it's the classic timing chain tensioner problem. Hyundai was replacing the tensioner under warranty (for the identical motor). It's not normal noise, it's doing damage. It's an expensive and difficult repair.

That 5W-20 is not leaving a thick enough film on the engine for startup. That hot 5W-20 drains completely off all the engine parts when you shut the car down hot and leaves no film for starting the next morning.

So I guess I need to know what oils will do best at leaving a protective film behind...I already told the dealer I want it all documented. Probably best to take it there for every oil change and bring the oil of choice myself. Or let them use their oil lol. I wonder what they'd say if mentioned the Hyundai warranty fix. Identical engine in the kia?? I know Hyundai makes em

I am guessing the UOA will show high wear metals...I assume the break in period is long over now that we are at 15k and metals will be attributed to this issue

Your owners manual says 10W-30 is allowed for temperatures above zero F but with 5W-20 recommended for best fuel economy. The best way to determine whether the startup noise issue is lubrication related or mechanical related is to try a different viscosity oil first. If 10W-30 makes no difference on noise at startup, then you'll know for sure it's a mechanical issue. 5W-30 is too close to 5W-20 to make a difference. By the way, Amsoil has all the manufacturer's oil viscosity recommendations on their site and is the source I used.

QSUD/PP/PU 5w30 would work. When my gdi accent hits 200,000 I will most likely run QS Syn on a regular basis. Right now I have supply of PP /PU and will run it till I am out which wont be soon.

I just checked the manual and it agrees with amsoils site. Try 10w30? I read that oils with higher zddp will help in this situation

Originally Posted By: Alltherage
Try 10w30?

Absolutely! It`s a cheap experiment to see if that in fact smooths out your startups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back