Best oil for my vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
So you need to add a quart after 6500 miles?
That isn't much especially since the engine must be burning some at this mileage.
You might try M1 HM 50W-20 and see whether that helps in reducing the leaks. You could also go with a 10W-30 since in your climate, winter is but a mild hint of what us Yankees have to deal with.
At this point, I'd be saving my pennies for the second timing belt service that it'll need in the very near future before I'd worry about having a minor oil leak fixed.
This is an easy job with an engine sitting on a stand but is anything but with this V-6 installed in any Honda and labor is priced accordingly, unless you want to give up a weekend plus to DIY it, maybe two weekends if you've never done a timing belt since this is something you absolutely need to get right the first time with any interference engine. There are no second chances.
This sounds like a very sound old Ody. The transaxle problems were pretty well over after the 2005 MY, so this van might well have a lot of fairly trouble-free life left in it.

I did the timing belt service myself using the Aisin kit I bough off Amazon. The job wasn't too bad. I don't think I am burning oil, I think it's just leaking from the pan and valve cover, but I will have to investigate further.

Originally Posted By: jhammermil2008
Hello. Trying to determine the best oil for my 2007 Honda Odyssey

1. 2007 Honda Odyssey EX
2. Owners manual recommends 5w-20. New Honda charts say 0w-20 is acceptable.
3. I live in Hattiesburg, MS
4. Driving is easy. Never above 3000-3500 rpm's
5. 5 days out the week are short trips (20-30 miles per day). 2 days out the week are longer (200 miles per day)
6. It has oil leaks. About a quart every 6500 miles or so.

My goal is for the engine to last as long as possible. I have about 196,000 miles on it. Been using Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-20 since I bought it with 94,000 miles.

Thanks for the help.

All M1 oils typically provide outstanding protection for engines. M1 20 wt oils are great for any climate including yours.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jhammermil2008
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
So you need to add a quart after 6500 miles?
That isn't much especially since the engine must be burning some at this mileage.
You might try M1 HM 50W-20 and see whether that helps in reducing the leaks. You could also go with a 10W-30 since in your climate, winter is but a mild hint of what us Yankees have to deal with.
At this point, I'd be saving my pennies for the second timing belt service that it'll need in the very near future before I'd worry about having a minor oil leak fixed.
This is an easy job with an engine sitting on a stand but is anything but with this V-6 installed in any Honda and labor is priced accordingly, unless you want to give up a weekend plus to DIY it, maybe two weekends if you've never done a timing belt since this is something you absolutely need to get right the first time with any interference engine. There are no second chances.
This sounds like a very sound old Ody. The transaxle problems were pretty well over after the 2005 MY, so this van might well have a lot of fairly trouble-free life left in it.

I did the timing belt service myself using the Aisin kit I bough off Amazon. The job wasn't too bad. I don't think I am burning oil, I think it's just leaking from the pan and valve cover, but I will have to investigate further.

I guess I underestimated your DIY skills.
The main bad part with these is the lack of working space.
Glad to hear that you overcame it.
I'd still recommend M1 HM and just see what happens.
A quart in 6.5K isn't much of a leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back