best oil for methanol ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it is.
Clay is one of the nicest guys in the IHRA Top Fuel legue.
He does on occation run NHRA. Does pretty well there too. He really over powers the IHRA though.
Oh...by the way.....there is no way I COULD AFFORD TO SPONSOR HIM!!!
smile.gif

Hello, Sonny James. I think the right oil to use is Royal Purple Nitro Plus. It is a straight-grade synthetic engine oil formulated specifically for use in blown alcohol, nitro-methane or any racing applications that experience excessive fuel dilution.

[ January 26, 2006, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: wwillson ]

quote:

now we are going to use a cheap conventional oil and change it after every race. the reason we know we went too long is because we took the engine apart after the season and the alky ate the bearings.

It's well known that an engine burning methanol produces lots of formic acid. I had the good fortune of examining a crankshaft from such an engine. The formic acid, some of which ends up in the oil, does a good job of deep-etching the ferrous components.

I think the only way to manage this is by changing the oil immediately after using the engine and before storage to minimize the contact time with the corrosive oil, just as racer figured out.

I have no experience with this but have been reading a lot here and changing the oil out after every race to prevent longer exposure does make sense to me. Also using a diesel oil makes sense so how about a cheap diesel oil like supertech 15W40 and change after every race?

I have ran alcohol for years. LEARNED ONE THING>> you won't have the corrosion and metal etching problems if you get the oil up to 200 degrees at the end of the race day and then vent the valve covers so the moisture and alcohol can escape.
I just pull the breathers and it is as clean as it was when I ran gas.
Heat in the oil is the key in myopinion.
We will be using Shaefer 20-50 7000 race oil this year.

Trailer Toad

I had a VOA ran on a case of 20W-50 Bradd Pen (and posted it here)which is what you described. You may want to search and find that 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back