Best glass cleaner to get film off interior of windshield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sprayway. I've used Stoner and Hope's and nothing else(besides the janitorial-spec stuff) works as well. And it's cheap!

just do it twice. Spray it on heavy and scrub well with a paper towel or microfiber(preferred)

Then do it again.. with a minimal amount of spray and a dry towel I use a "glass microfiber"

Takes some elbow grease..

Repeat 2nd step next day in the sun if you missed spots

Here is what I do and it works very well.

Use microfiber towels made especially for cleaning glass. The more you have on hand, the better. Use each glass specific microfiber cloth to clean half the windshield. One for the driver's side and one for the passenger's side. Doesn't hurt to have 4 to 6 on hand. Along with a "regular" microfiber towel to use at the very end.

Use an automotive grade window cleaner (such as Invisible Glass or Purple Power Prime Shine) or a top shelf glass cleaner such as Sprayway.

Spray the windshield and wipe it clean with the glass specific microfiber cloth. If it's still not clean, repeat spraying and wiping with a clean glass specific microfiber towel until it is clean.

At the very end, wipe the windshield down with a regular microfiber towel and that will take care of any remaining cleaner that you may have missed.

Works like clockwork for me.

For what it's worth, I use cheap $1 window cleaner on the rest of the windows in my vehicles and they are super clear and spotless when using glass specific microfiber towels. The extra step of wiping them down with a regular microfiber towel is not necessary. I also use $1 glass cleaner and glass specific microfiber towels on my mirrors in my house and they are super clear and spotless.

I also vote for the Mr. Clean miracle eraser. I used it on stubborn film and the end result was that you could not tell that there was glass there. Do not use it in strong sunlight.

A bowl of warm water, a quirt of kitchen dish soap, a clean towel and some elbow grease. Wring-out the towel frequently and wipe with an over-lapping pattern. After that, follow-up with household window cleaner (windex etc) and a micro-fiber towel. My windows were slightly hazed from 3 months of winter. In less than 15 minutes, the windows were cleaned as described just yesterday. On the way to work this morning, I felt like I was driving Mr. Clean's car.

Ray

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by fcjeep
Originally Posted by Miller88
Vinegar and an old newspaper is the only thing that works for the film on the inside of the windshield

This +1

I never used the vinegar but the old newspaper works great! Something about the ink I'm told.

Keep using new sheets as you're working. I use it with Windex. Clean and reclean a second time. Streak free.

The problem with that is that they don't make old newspaper anymore. Now if you have some old newspaper in the basement with the historic headlines like Man Lands on The Moon, then you could use that.

LOL.

You are correct PimTac. But I figured a work-around for that.
What I do is I buy the current day's newspaper BUT I don't use it until at least the NEXT day. Works exactly the same as old newspaper.

Brilliant idea, I know.
grin.gif

I thought I had tried everything then saw Sprayway recommendations here some time ago and gave it a try. It's by far the best glass cleaner I have ever used. Spray it on, let it set for ten seconds or so and wipe with paper towels or whatever. It works well with clean terry cloth towels as well. It dries pretty quickly so don't leave it on too long.

I use TurtleWave "Dash and Glass" cleaner. "green bottle"

spray onto windshield and use many microfiber towels. You can also use a humidifier, aim it at the inside windshield glass, fog it up and get wiping in circular motions.

The film I got is only seen when the window starts to fog up. Some sort of residue outgassing from the dash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
This stuff is the best I've found: http://www.spraywayinc.com/

I concur. After many years of detailing for a living I found this at the grocery store and it outperformed everything I had tried previously. Have multiple microfiber towels on hand and plan to clean it more than once initially.

I have always had trouble cleaning glass so that later on the streaks and smudges didn't show up later. That is until I started doing this. I use Stoners Invisible Glass foaming cleaner. Spray it on heavy and use paper towels to wipe it clean. Then comes the important part. Use a "huck towel" to wipe the glass after the paper towel. The huck towel will remove everything that the paper towels missed. Your glass will come out absolutely streak free. I bought a bunch of the hick towels on eBay. Here is an ad for them.

Don

Last edited:
I'd also suggest a specific glass cleaning microfiber cloth. They usually have a very short nap and do very short work on haze and film on interior glass without needing glass cleaning chemicals.

Find a good microfiber cloth to go with your glass cleaner. I got some of the Grants brand from Harbor Freight and they left a haze. I washed them and they still leave a haze. They are now shop rags. I tried the two pack from the Dollar Tree and they are fine. No haze. I still have some from Autozone I have had for years but they are getting old but still work fine. Not sure what's going on with the HFT ones.

I've also had good luck with this. Lately have had good results using ONR.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Meguiar's Perfect Clarity. Nothing else works as well.

I use lacquer thinner on a rag to get all the crud off. Then I wipe the window with a newspaper. Then I spray on a glass cleaner and then wipe it down with newspaper. No streaks, perfectly clean window..

Just wanted to say thanks to all who recommended Sprayway. I ordered some after reading about it here and it works great! I always struggled to get the windshields spotless.

Originally Posted by RhondaHonda
Just wanted to say thanks to all who recommended Sprayway. I ordered some after reading about it here and it works great! I always struggled to get the windshields spotless.

I used this stuff one time, but I don't remember it doing exceptionally well. It looks like I need to try it again as many people in here seem to have good results with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back