Best glass cleaner to get film off interior of windshield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best automotive glass cleaner? I got a very stubborn film on the inside of my windshield that Windex wont cut. It seems to move it around some, but it won't remove it. I have streaks all over the inside of the windshield and they are horrible when driving into the sun, etc.

I've had trouble with window cleaners causing streaks. you can try using ammonia and water. What I find work best is a barely damp towel. I use the towel I dried with just after a shower. That's just damp enough, window is squeaky clean after.

A bucket of warm water with some dish detergent should cut through the oil. Just dip a rag in the bucket and wipe the glass. Once the oily film is gone use a glass cleaner.

I have used various glass cleaners, just requires two separate cleanings each with a separate clean reg. I use paper towels so I can just get a clean set for when I clean it a second time.

Originally Posted by dadto2
I've had trouble with window cleaners causing streaks. you can try using ammonia and water. What I find work best is a barely damp towel. I use the towel I dried with just after a shower. That's just damp enough, window is squeaky clean after.

This. I use the microfiber towel I dry my car with. Then I dry with a fresh towel.

If you use microfiber or terry towels that have been laundered, be sure not to dry them using fabric softener. The softener residue on the towel will remain on the windshield.

Another vote for Sprayway. I used GM glass cleaner when I worked for the dealer and got an employee discount. I moved to Buffalo and they use Castle, also great stuff. I used lint free towels I bought on Amazon.

The ONLY thing I've found to remove that greasy, slimy stuff that grows on the inside of the windshield is a 50/50 mix of distilled vinegar and water...

The solution that completely works every time for me is dish soap! That greasy film is supposedly caused from off gassing from the materials in your car collecting on your windshield. Either way, it seems greasy so that led me to use dish soap and I'm so glad I thought of it!

1. Wipe the windshield thoroughly with a wet microfiber with a little liquid dish soap - like 3 drops of dawn.
2. Wipe with a clean wet microfiber.
3. Dry with a clean microfiber.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Vinegar and an old newspaper is the only thing that works for the film on the inside of the windshield

This +1

I never used the vinegar but the old newspaper works great! Something about the ink I'm told.

Keep using new sheets as you're working. I use it with Windex. Clean and reclean a second time. Streak free.

Originally Posted by fcjeep
Originally Posted by Miller88
Vinegar and an old newspaper is the only thing that works for the film on the inside of the windshield

This +1

I never used the vinegar but the old newspaper works great! Something about the ink I'm told.

Keep using new sheets as you're working. I use it with Windex. Clean and reclean a second time. Streak free.

The problem with that is that they don't make old newspaper anymore. Now if you have some old newspaper in the basement with the historic headlines like Man Lands on The Moon, then you could use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back