Best Cleaner For Glass Interior?

Hey folks, what can I use to clean the glass interior that doesn't leave a horrible ugly film that will be especially visible in the direct sunlight? Windex isn't working for me. Thanks for your help.

Any quality foaming dedicated glass cleaner will work. Windex is good for mirrors and maybe sliding glass doors, not for vehicles. If the windshield gets a film, a Magic Eraser works very well, followed up with a glass cleaner.

Last edited:
Water distilled would probably be best. The lady who cleans at the dealership sold those chemical free glass cleaning rags(h20 at home, Norwex or something similar). I use that with water from the Brita filter. Works great, just as good as the Spray Way foam stuff we kept in the shop.

Probably not so much what you use but how you use it. Are you applying with a new paper towel and only once per side before discarding? If not, you're just spreading the dirt around.

my grandmother used vinegar and water and used newspapers to wipe clean any glass...I've been doing that like forever ...best thing i ever used. you would think the ink from newspaper would make a mess, but it doesn't

I use a damp towel. I mean barely damp. When I do it, it's a towel that just used to dry myself off after a shower. Roll it up and wipe the inside of the windshield. Gets all the film off the glass, leaves nothing behind.

I have the best luck with newspaper.

I get a film on my windshield and I've never used anything on the dash or elsewhere other than a water damp rag. Maybe it's from 3 years/40,000 miles ago before I bought the car but it's still getting a film.

I get a film on my windshield and I've never used anything on the dash or elsewhere other than a water damp rag. Maybe it's from 3 years/40,000 miles ago before I bought the car but it's still getting a film.
You don't need to use anything, plasticizers are added to vinyl during manufacture. And they will outgas for a long time, one way you know they are gone is when the plastic becomes brittle or begins to crack.

You don't need to use anything, plasticizers are added to vinyl during manufacture. And they will outgas for a long time, one way you know they are gone is when the plastic becomes brittle or begins to crack.
Ahh.. Someone suggested it was stuff you put on the dash, that's when I thought about this. I've got a 20 year old car that does it, but the dash is 'like new'.

Spray-Way gets my vote. Leaves the windows streak free and it smells great too.

If you have a heavy film buildup you might have to wash it a couple times using a clean microfiber cloth until it glides over the glass nice and smoothly.

Ahh.. Someone suggested it was stuff you put on the dash, that's when I thought about this. I've got a 20 year old car that does it, but the dash is 'like new'.

This is true and especially if you use “shiny” dash detailer sprays.

Use a matte finish spray and use very little. Shiny dashboards are for the 60’s and 70’s.

Back