Best engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calvin - I had a 79 Volvo 245 and the belt failed at 113,000 miles. I did not realize that it was supposed to be changed at 45,000! (I have no idea how I missed that one, I usually read the manuals!) It broke when my wife was driving it 30 miles from home. I replaced it in a parking lot. It was an easy job, very accessible and when I checked the timing later at home it was spot on!

picture%5C2512255093317.jpg

Lexus 4L V8.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: lexus114
76 was their fist year.

Engine was developed in 1976, but you couldn't buy a vehicle with it installed until 1977. That's what I'm counting as the first year.

I'm sorry, I stand corrected - you could get the 305 in vehicles in '76 - I thought it was more or less 'designed' for the newly downsized 1977 Impala.

A friend of mine (back in the day) had it in his 76 Nova. Nice car,but he couldnt keep the rear bolts that held the axle housing in place from breaking. It was the top of the line Nova,I forget what they called it. looked just like the Olds. Omega of that era.

Nova 'Concours' was the top of the line model in 1976.

Is that the UZ? Yeah reliable if you except for timing belts and valve adjustments. I don't make exceptions for them IMO.

I don't see how the GM 3800 and the 4.3 can't be somewhere near the tops. Both can be found in any state within the U.S. showing 300k+, guaranteed.

IMHO, the Ford 4.6L and 5.4L Modular engines are the "longest lasting" gasoline engines currently in service.

That would be the Toyota 1UZ V-8 pictured above. For the last generation of Tundra and Sequoia, they modified that engine, giving it an iron block, instead of aluminum, and stepping displacement up to 4.7L (known as the 2UZ-FE). We had an 01 Sequoia for about seven years with that engine, and it was just superb. We never needed (or tried) to tow anything, but I suspect based upon the numbers, the 2UZ isn't the ultimate towing engine, but in all other respects, I loved it. Some early ones (like ours) apparently had O2 sensor issues, but we never saw that. Other than oil (and other fluids) and various filter changes, it never asked for any added care. I don't even recall where the "check engine"/"MIL" light was -- it never came on. While I like the 3.5L V-6 in our Avalon (replacement for the Tree), it just doesn't have that "V-8 goodness" the 2UZ supplied in copious quantities. I'd put the 2UZ about a half-step ahead of the 1UZ -- but that's just me.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Is that the UZ? Yeah reliable if you except for timing belts and valve adjustments. I don't make exceptions for them IMO.

Try driving a 2UZ-powered Tundra, Sequoia, or 4Runner. I suspect you'd make an exception then.

I'm really liking the VQ35DE in the Altima, but I'm not entirely confident that it will be a reliable engine, given the past history of mount, cam/crank sensor and timing chain issues. But hey, life is too short to care about those things....

Uhh, it's called maintenance items. Though the 4.6 Ford is waayy beter than the old 302 as far as reliabilty it still is a step behind a 1UZ. The 1UZ is literally unbreakable for more miles than you could live to put on it(provided proper maintenance)of course.

Originally Posted By: Oldswagon
lexus114 said:
76 was their fist year.

I'm sorry, I stand corrected - you could get the 305 in vehicles in '76 - I thought it was more or less 'designed' for the newly downsized 1977 Impala.

Yes, it was available in 1976, and it was created to replace the gap left when the 307 left the line-up after 1973. In 1976 it was available in cars including the Monza, Nova, Camaro, and Chevelle. It only became available in fullsize cars in 1977 (the 1976’s were too big for a 305).

As Overkill stated, the 305 was a poor performance engine because of the bore/stroke ratio. Stock for stock the 305 had similar power levels to the 302's, but there is no way a 305 can keep up with a 302 once mods are thrown at it. That is because this engine was developed in the mid-70's when the primary concerns were emissions and fuel economy. During this era as simple solution to this was to use a small bore and long stoke This was the opposite of the "performance" oriented short stroke engines that had been coming into play since the late 40's with the first OHV V8's.

The 302 on the otherhand was developed in the late 1960's when emissions were and fuel economy were lesser concern's and performance was still popular.

That said, we've had nothing but good luck with the 305's we've owned and same goes for 350's. We've also had good luck with 302's except for the one in our '79 Fairmont, but that car was a lemon (but I won’t chastise all 302’s). All three would make my list for durability.

Bore/Stroke ratios have nothing to do with anything outside of racing engines operating above 6000 RPM. Pretty much every engine sold in N. America between 1975 to 1984 was a turd based on its fuel economy, power and torque numbers and they really were not all that clean either by todays standards.
The 305 suffers from being an engine not really offered outside this era. 350 blocks can be had for as little as $100. At 1 hp per CI this is the best hp mod in the world when rebuilding an engine, so nobody builds them and that is why the 305 is regarded as a dog.
Magazines that have bothered to do street performance builds on 305s always prove that the 305 can obtain the same hp/ci ratios as 350s.

I've had several 305's now, 2 at the moment one with 323k miles and the other with 165k on it. Both still run like brand new. I would definitely not try to vote them as one of the BEST engines, but they are one of the more reliable V8's made if we're talking from about 1983 up to mid 90's.

One of my favorite engines is the 350 Oldsmobile from 68-76. It wouldn't be the best at anything, but it made decent power for a smogger engine, decent gas mileage and they're very tough.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic

Uhh, it's called maintenance items. Though the 4.6 Ford is waayy beter than the old 302 as far as reliabilty it still is a step behind a 1UZ. The 1UZ is literally unbreakable for more miles than you could live to put on it(provided proper maintenance)of course.

I assume you Toyota guys have never driven a Nitrous powered LSx (LS1, LS2, LS3, LS7, LSA, L76, LMG, LM6 and so on and so forth)anywhere and see the lack of maintenance they really require and keep taking a beating. You know Corverttes, F-bodies, GTOs, Trucks, Cars.
You make a pretty bold statement saying the 1UZ is the most reliable V8 ever. I don't see a lot of them (spoken any) getting flogged on the weekends at the track and then making the daily driver rounds. I would like to see what it would do towing my 5th wheel around the Crounty side as compared to my 454 which is after all a V8.

At anyrate

My short list
GM 3800
GM Small Block/Big Block
Ford Small Block/Big Block
MOST Toyota 4 Cyls
MOST Honda 4 Cyls
MOST GM 4.3s
Just about any Manufactures inline 6 has been a good motor

Originally Posted By: Mokanic

That's a pretty bold statement? Got any law enforcement, taxi cab fleet usage that can back this up?

I somehow doubt it.

I'd put MONEY on the DOHC 4.6L from the '03/04 Termi stock-for-stock handling more power, and living longer at a comparable power level than a 1UZ any day of the week.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
That would be the Toyota 1UZ V-8 pictured above. For the last generation of Tundra and Sequoia, they modified that engine, giving it an iron block, instead of aluminum, and stepping displacement up to 4.7L (known as the 2UZ-FE). We had an 01 Sequoia for about seven years with that engine, and it was just superb. We never needed (or tried) to tow anything, but I suspect based upon the numbers, the 2UZ isn't the ultimate towing engine, but in all other respects, I loved it. Some early ones (like ours) apparently had O2 sensor issues, but we never saw that. Other than oil (and other fluids) and various filter changes, it never asked for any added care. I don't even recall where the "check engine"/"MIL" light was -- it never came on. While I like the 3.5L V-6 in our Avalon (replacement for the Tree), it just doesn't have that "V-8 goodness" the 2UZ supplied in copious quantities. I'd put the 2UZ about a half-step ahead of the 1UZ -- but that's just me.
cheers3.gif

Try one with a supercharger. Hoooo-eee!!! I love my supercharged LS400!

Every timing belt-equipped motor will require periodic replacement of the timing belt. I changed mine at 140,000. Old belt was still OK.
Never had a valve adjustment done.
You may be thinking of the wrong motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back