Best cheap car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen brand new Suzuki SX4 crossovers advertised around $14K and they're AWD.
sx4_e11.jpg

Joel

Yaris and fit are the only two I would even consider on that list. I like the look of the 5 door Yaris (4 door Yaris is not my cup of tea at all). Drove the 3 door Yaris and the fit. Both are great cars. I prefer the Yaris but only due to personal preference. Both are utilitarian, simple, and should last a long time. Also new golf mark VI should be out soon (new GTI is supposed in US in sept) but for 4 door versions would cost a bit more than yaris and fit I assume.

I rented a Cobalt and Focus. The EPA mileage estimates are the same between them. On mixed driving (60% freeway), I got 31mpg with the Focus during a 200 mi trip.

Another comment: it was about 92F outside and the Focus' A/C was just adequate even on the Max setting. I imagine if it got to >100F the AC would have been inadequate.

Yesterday the local news had a story about the JUNK program. A KIA dealer said they had about 50 cars marked as 'Sold' waiting for the junk program to go in effect.

I like the Fit and the Cobalt. Having spent some time with each, I can say that if I had the money I'd get the Fit. Otherwise the Cobalt does the job. Just not with the Fit's panache and spunk. Even though the Fit has far less power, it feels quick and begs you to wring it out in corners. Didn't get the same feeling in the Cobalt.

But the Fit is a "premium" small car while the Cobalt is a no-frills small car.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I've seen brand new Suzuki SX4 crossovers advertised around $14K and they're AWD.

I owned a 2007 SX4 that got totaled when someone rear-ended me. I was probably the best car I've ever owned.

It was quick due to super low gearing (the thing spun 3000rpm @ 60mph), but it had great handling and a smooth ride. With the 4wd, it would plow through snow better than my 4wd Frontier.

What's better is you can select between fwd, AWD, and an option to lock in 4wd. It looked great, drove great, fun car all around. Only thing I didn't like was it burned about 1/2 quart of oil in 3k even when new, all the way to 50k when it got totaled. Gas mileage averaged about 26 mixed city/hwy because it's heavier than most.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
But the Fit is a "premium" small car while the Cobalt is a no-frills small car.

I would argue that the R32 is a premium small car (hatchback) and costs 2x as much as the fit.

If not talking about hatchbacks of course there are tons such as BMW 1 series and audi ttS at $45k

Suzuki gets horrible quality reports, worldwide. Anyone know the bottom line on a Fit?

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
I rented a Cobalt and Focus. The EPA mileage estimates are the same between them. On mixed driving (60% freeway), I got 31mpg with the Focus during a 200 mi trip.

Another comment: it was about 92F outside and the Focus' A/C was just adequate even on the Max setting. I imagine if it got to >100F the AC would have been inadequate.

What year Focus?

Originally Posted By: sciphi
..But the Fit is a "premium" small car..

If that's the case, my cheapo Cobalt is a Cadillac.
LOL.gif

Joel

Premium small cars are VW GTI's, Audi A3's, and BMW 1 series. Honda fits are not a premium small car...

The Fit is not premium in the sense that it it has a hot motor or lux interior. But when you drive the Fit, you can see a lot of time went into making it a quality car that people would be willing to trade down to from something more expensive. The steering is very tight. The engine is spunky, if not powerful. It was well designed as far as maximizing interior space. It also handles very well and the paddle shifters are another nice little touch. It honestly doesn't feel cheap or tiny when driving it down the road, even at near triple digit speeds.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
The Fit is not premium in the sense that it it has a hot motor or lux interior. But when you drive the Fit, you can see a lot of time went into making it a quality car that people would be willing to trade down to from something more expensive. The steering is very tight. The engine is spunky, if not powerful. It was well designed as far as maximizing interior space. It also handles very well and the paddle shifters are another nice little touch. It honestly doesn't feel cheap or tiny when driving it down the road, even at near triple digit speeds.

What makes you think that doesn't apply to any small car made in recent years?

Originally Posted By: pzev

B/c I've driven a few and at least sat in just about all except the Focus. I'm not saying the others are [censored] or anything. I really was quite surprised by the Cobalt. The Yaris is nice, too, but the Fit has an edge in interior space. I know it's not a Rabbit. But it's interior volume, ride and handling, and other neat little touches set it apart for me. Am I biased toward Honda? Sure I am. But I don't have a closed mind on these issues. Looking a Yaris, Jetta wagon, Vibe, and Matrix are what got me pining for a new car. And there are certainly a few cost-cutting measures in the Fit. It didn't come with mats, for one. I was a tad surprised by that. And the carpet looks like someone picked out a NICE carpet and Honda said, "Okay, let's remove half the fibers!" But the switch gear has nices touches; there's a very functional instant and trip mpg computer; there are no less than 10 cupholders; the seats do all sorts of voodoo to accomodate various types of cargo; it's got nice 16 inch alloys; at least 5-6 inches of headroom above my 5'10" height; the aforementione d paddle shifters (which can be used in manual mode or on the fly in full auto mode); leather steering wheel with perfs at 3 and 9 o clock; standard fogs on my model; very high seating position; I could go on. It's a quality car in the same way that an Accord is. Your not going to outrun a Subie or outcorner a bmw, but it does the job well enough to be enjoyable.

You just described nearly all modern small cars. Don't think Honda is the only one that employs the latest technologies.

Really. I thought everything else was horse and buggy tech. Kerosene lamps and all! Look, I HAPPEN to own 3 Hondas at the moment. But I come from a GM family and have owned Ford, Mitsu, BMW, SAAB, etc. I know there are other great cars out there. But remember the Fit was made to compete against the Yaris, Aveo, Versa, et al. Not the Cobalt, Focus, Vibe, Corolla. Is it pricey for what it is? Sure. But drive it against its intended competition and you'll see where it shines and why it's consistantly outscored all those cars in comparos and ratings.

Originally Posted By: pzev

B/c I've driven a few and at least sat in just about all except the Focus. I'm not saying the others are [censored] or anything. I really was quite surprised by the Cobalt. The Yaris is nice, too, but the Fit has an edge in interior space. I know it's not a Rabbit. But it's interior volume, ride and handling, and other neat little touches set it apart for me. Am I biased toward Honda? Sure I am. But I don't have a closed mind on these issues. Looking a Yaris, Jetta wagon, Vibe, and Matrix are what got me pining for a new car. And there are certainly a few cost-cutting measures in the Fit. It didn't come with mats, for one. I was a tad surprised by that. And the carpet looks like someone picked out a NICE carpet and Honda said, "Okay, let's remove half the fibers!" But the switch gear has nices touches; there's a very functional instant and trip mpg computer; there are no less than 10 cupholders; the seats do all sorts of voodoo to accomodate various types of cargo; it's got nice 16 inch alloys; at least 5-6 inches of headroom above my 5'10" height; the aforementione d paddle shifters (which can be used in manual mode or on the fly in full auto mode); leather steering wheel with perfs at 3 and 9 o clock; standard fogs on my model; very high seating position; I could go on. It's a quality car in the same way that an Accord is. Your not going to outrun a Subie or outcorner a bmw, but it does the job well enough to be enjoyable.

Again... You described nearly every modern small car. Sure, not all will have 10 cupholders. Nor will the indents on the steering wheel be exactly at 3 and 9 o'clock. All cars nowadays have the "manual" auto transmission. Big deal. Drive a real standard if you want it. At 6'2" I sat comfortably in a 2009 Suzuki Swift.

Fitting in a "fit" is the least of my worries. What really bugs me is that the Chevy Cobalt I had rented to me (while my truck was in the shop) performed and handled well above any recent Honda or Toyota I've drivin in. I've driven all sorts of rentals (domestics and imports) even some international models that come with it. The Honda Fit is not up there IMHO.

hey, im just providing my opinion based on my experiences. Dont know why any time someone says Honda, the knives come put. I''ve had nothing ill to say about any other car mentioned here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back