Best cheap car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put this down under the "other ideas" column...

Used Dodge or Chrysler Neon.

2 years ago I picked up a 2001 Chrysler Neon with 150,000km on the odo. It now has 180,000km on the odo... all reliable with no breakdowns.

Of course, I'm heavy into the maintenance/upkeep and have done a good bit on the vehicle.

I paid $2,500 for it.
grin2.gif

Focus is a very good car, with more of a focus on driving dynamics and handling than most cars in the catagory. I personally prefer Foci from 2003-2004, as they had the nicer Duratech engine (2.3L). That said, the current engine is great compared to many others in this price range.
I don't know about now, but Foci can usually be had for cheap because of factory rebates and dealer incentives. I personally got mine for 9k when the sticker was 15k (2003).

Reliability has been excellent since 2002.5 (2001-2002 had issues).

Mazda 3's can't be had for as cheap as the Focus, and the C1 (euro foci) plateform isn't worth the price gap. The current focus is sitting on a vastly reworked C170 platform.

The only other car I would consider in the 15k price range is the Honda Fit. Not as powerful, but a nice drive with a cool interior. I much prefer the 2.0 Duratech in the focus, as it feels substantially more powerful.
The Cobalt would be good for a commuter, but a cheap interior and average chassis dynamics makes me take a pass.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
No matter what you buy, you'll be remorseful.

I would be too if I was buying new... Buying cars off lease for example, especially domestics, will save you like 50%.

I just did a quick search on Cars Direct for most of the cars mentioned here.

Best deal by far was on a Pontiac G5 - $4000 under invoice. Cheapest price I could find on one was $13275.00, that's a base G5 with a 5 speed.

You can find a Nissan Versa cheaper but it has no AC and no radio.

Hyundai Elantra would be my choice. Very smooth running car and you get a lot of bang for your buck and a very good warranty.

Can't beat this deal IMO!
wink.gif

2009 VIBE : http://www.pontiac.com/current-offers/ . Click on pic of VIBE . The 5 speed manual for the VIBE has a nice clutch engagement and the shifting is smooth too . Use a synthetic for the gear oil . You should be able to average close to 35 m.p.g. with 1.8 ltr. coupled with the 5 speed manual . VIBE comes with many safety features too . Such as V.S.C. ( STABILTRAK ) with traction control , side / curtain airbags , 4 wheel disc brakes with A.B.S. , Active Head Restraint , etc. ( possibly cheaper insurance rates ) . Can't go wrong for under $14,600 and under . GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Under $14k

I'm not shure what the prices after discount is on these cars, maybe others know off-hand.

Yaris?

Fit?

Caliber?

Cobalt?

Versa $9999

Focus?

I dunno about the others, but the Focus isn't cheap. It's inexpensive, but the quality is okay. Not sure why you want to buy anything cheap?

or a YARIS for under $14,000 . Here's an '07 YARIS with 5 speed manual with 350,000 miles , http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20395 . Click on YOUTUBE addresses of 1st post for details . Seems to be honest . The YARIS with 4 speed automatic is capable of averaging close to 39 m.p.g.. We own 2 and no major problems thus far . Insurance rates are reasonable too . Wouldn't want to be in their / your shoes . Decisions , decisions .
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smokey1
or a YARIS for under $14,000 . Here's an '07 YARIS with 5 speed manual with 350,000 miles , http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20395 . Click on YOUTUBE addresses of 1st post for details . Seems to be honest . The YARIS with 4 speed automatic is capable of averaging close to 39 m.p.g.. We own 2 and no major problems thus far . Insurance rates are reasonable too . Wouldn't want to be in their / your shoes . Decisions , decisions .
21.gif

Nearly any vehicle subjected to that amount of mileage in that short amount of time would produce comparable results. We all know that engines fare well with long-distance driving but you'd be surprised that the other components do just as well.

Car manufacturers make their recommendations based on average driving styles for this area (US = 12-20k per year). If everyone drove 115K per year, I bet their recommended maintenance intervals would increase 5-10 fold.

Their results are less than impressive IMO, decades old Volvos have run over a million miles with far less annual mileage, and have decades old components rather than the 3 years old they have.

The 115K+ travel per year however is impressive. It's likely any car would make 1 million miles when someone is driving 115k a year. That's literally like .01% of the passenger-type driving population.

Thanks for all the tips and info. G5 looks interesting. Still no firm price the Vibe though. $14,600 minimum?

Found this, too.

2009 Pontiac Vibe Base w/1.8L Front-wheel Drive Hatchback

MSRP Price: $18,535

Invoice Price: $17,791

CarsDirect Price: $14,791

Car has AC and auto for options. That's it.

If they want a deal, it's time to jump on a Pontiac.

I'll be looking at the Fiesta when it arrives, although I doubt I get one because my heart belongs to the 3-door, which they won't be offering here.

I also look forward to the arrival of the Kia Forte coupe.

I would imagine you could get a steal-of-a-deal on a G5 right now, especially if you can find a standalone Pontiac dealership. I see one of those on the road for every 10 Cobalts, and I think they're better looking.

The Vibe is also available with the 2.4L for $750 in Canada atleast. As far as I can tell the car would be ~$14,600CDN with the 2.4 and block heater, plus fees taxes...
I'm impressed with the Cobalt too, bigger car feel and with the manual trans it is right with the Fit, Yaris for mpg while killing them in hp and torque.

My parents are on they way to go get a Nissan Sentra right now. They were looking for something large enough they could sit in comfortably, and cheap/good mileage.

They weren't in the market for a car, but with Obama's "Buy your neighbor a car" program, they're getting one anyway. Dad took the flat bed off his rough 80's pickup and will be selling the bed separately.

(their other vehicle is another opportunistic buy - 08 quad cab Tundra they bought new last fall for 17.5 at the peak of gas prices)

the base VIBE should be available for less than $14,000 . Could do a search for VIBE of choice at http://www.pontiac.com/search-dealers/ , http://www.edmunds.com or http://www.kbb.com . The dealerships usually give their own discount along with the incentives from PONTIAC . Therefore making a base VIBE less than $14,000 . I think some base VIBES aren't provided with A/C , so Make sure the VIBE of your / their choice is by looking at the WINDOW STICKER online at PONTIAC website or at the dealer . Good Luck .
thumbsup2.gif

I am almost positive that they will be bringing over the three door. 90% sure at least. I know it was not coming over initially, but I think I read thet Ford changed their mind.

Do they still make Kia Rios? They used to have a wagon, the rio cinco. Motor is same as a hyundai accent. 1sttruck got a sedan for like $7600 brand new as some loss leader.

coworker getting a fit with cash for clunkers, paying around 14k before the 4500. They still can't sign the papers as of today even though it's supposed to be active finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back