Best cheap car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrianWC
hey, im just providing my opinion based on my experiences. Dont know why any time someone says Honda, the knives come put. I''ve had nothing ill to say about any other car mentioned here.

Perhaps it's the Honda bias? One only needs to look at your signature to figure that one out.

hey, im just providing my opinion based on my experiences. Dont know why any time someone says Honda, the knives come put. I''ve had nothing ill to say about any other car mentioned here.
23.gif

Don't look here!
LOL.gif
(J/K)

The problem is the blind swooning over honda products, not necessarily from you, but from folks in general. There IS a perception of this... Lots of folks have been no-impressed by honda products, have had issues, etc. from honda, just like from GM or anybody else... But Honda doesn't seem to get called on it.

Right or wrong - just my observation...

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2

Perhaps it's the Honda bias? One only needs to look at your signature to figure that one out.

See previous post.

Look, I have 3 Hondas basically on accident. My last 2 cars were saabs FFS. The wife was deadset on an Odyssey or a Yukon. She didn't like the Yukon's space or price so she got the Odyssey. As I said, I looked at many small cars while we were shopping for her. The Fit stuck out but not so much that I really HAD to have it. I'd actually been more intrigued w/ the Insight. But after seeing it, and seeing what I got for the extra money, I test drove the Fit. I really was impressed.

So, am I only supposed to provide opinions on cars I don't own? Yes, I can see how that will provide a VERY accurate picture to someone.

So, am I only supposed to provide opinions on cars I don't own? Yes, I can see how that will provide a VERY accurate picture to someone.

Here, let me help you understand:
UAW fanboy = good, smart, patristic, well informed, etc.
import fanboy = bad, foolish, delusional, blinded by prejudice, etc

j/k
27.gif

A.J. , you / other could get an additional $1,000 off an '09 VIBE ( or COBALT , etc. ) if a member of a CREDIT UNION that participates with a G.M. dealer ( PONTIAC , CHEVY , etc. ) in your area . I believe if not a current member with CREDIT UNION you / other can open a new account to possibly get the $1,000 off along with the other cash incentives ( $2,500 ) . You / other will need to do this by end of this month when the cash incentives end . Also , you / other can call local G.M. dealer and they'll inform the person ( buyer ) if there's a participating CREDIT UNION in the area . You don't have to get a loan for the vehicle through the CREDIT UNION to get the $1,000 . Most likely to the bolster business done between the C.U. and the local dealer . This would place the '09 VIBE or other G.M. vehicle well below the $14 ,000 mark . Hope this helps some and all info I supply is accurate . GOOD LUCK .

Originally Posted By: pzev

What makes you think that doesn't apply to any small car made in recent years?

B/c I've driven a few and at least sat in just about all except the Focus. I'm not saying the others are [censored] or anything. I really was quite surprised by the Cobalt. The Yaris is nice, too, but the Fit has an edge in interior space. I know it's not a Rabbit. But it's interior volume, ride and handling, and other neat little touches set it apart for me. Am I biased toward Honda? Sure I am. But I don't have a closed mind on these issues. Looking a Yaris, Jetta wagon, Vibe, and Matrix are what got me pining for a new car. And there are certainly a few cost-cutting measures in the Fit. It didn't come with mats, for one. I was a tad surprised by that. And the carpet looks like someone picked out a NICE carpet and Honda said, "Okay, let's remove half the fibers!" But the switch gear has nices touches; there's a very functional instant and trip mpg computer; there are no less than 10 cupholders; the seats do all sorts of voodoo to accomodate various types of cargo; it's got nice 16 inch alloys; at least 5-6 inches of headroom above my 5'10" height; the aforementione d paddle shifters (which can be used in manual mode or on the fly in full auto mode); leather steering wheel with perfs at 3 and 9 o clock; standard fogs on my model; very high seating position; I could go on. It's a quality car in the same way that an Accord is. Your not going to outrun a Subie or outcorner a bmw, but it does the job well enough to be enjoyable.

Again... You described nearly every modern small car. Sure, not all will have 10 cupholders. Nor will the indents on the steering wheel be exactly at 3 and 9 o'clock. All cars nowadays have the "manual" auto transmission. Big deal. Drive a real standard if you want it. At 6'2" I sat comfortably in a 2009 Suzuki Swift.

Fitting in a "fit" is the least of my worries. What really bugs me is that the Chevy Cobalt I had rented to me (while my truck was in the shop) performed and handled well above any recent Honda or Toyota I've drivin in. I've driven all sorts of rentals (domestics and imports) even some international models that come with it. The Honda Fit is not up there IMHO.

If that's the case, then please explain why Car and Drive, Motor Trend, Edmunds.com and many other major automatic magazines consider the Honda Fit to be one of the best small cars on the market.

Sure it's one of the best small cars on the market.. Nobody argued that it wasn't. In this day in age there are infinite "best" small cars on the market. The Fit is also more expensive when compared to others in its class.

Last edited:
Sure it's one of the best small cars on the market.. Nobody argued that it wasn't. In this day in age there are infinite "best" small cars on the market. The Fit is also more expensive when compared to others in its class.

The Fit is one of the best small cars on the market. The Mazda 3 is another. I can't say the same about the Cobalt, Focus and Corolla. And the car magazines agree with me as well.

Premium small cars are VW GTI's, Audi A3's, and BMW 1 series. Honda fits are not a premium small car...

Thank you. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
basic vw rabbit

Not bad...

The CarsDirect target price in my area is $17K. With the $4.5K clunker program, a buyer would be looking at $12.5K. Plus, Volkswagen is offering 0% financing for 36 months. That would give a monthly payment of $347, if the $4.5K incentive was used as the total down payment.

Yeah, I'm pimping for IGMetall! What's your point?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
You forgot to mention the Mercedes B-Class.

Since we don't get it, I can't say as it was really forgotten. We could also recommend a TATA Nano for a rock-bottom price, but there wouldn't be much point...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Versa is a rebadged Renault. Here is a link.. http://blogs.edmunds.com/karl/2006/10/2007-nissa-versa----did-you-know-its-a-renault.html
My son has a Versa. Comfy interior, lots of legroom front and rear for a small car. Less than spectacular fuel mileage at 28-29 hwy.

It's a pretty nice car. It won't stir the soul, but most people couldn't possibly care less about that fact. Good ride and seems well pinned together.

The only problem I have with it (as well as most Nissan products) is the egregious up-charge when you start to put options on the car. Everything seems to be part of a package, one which is loaded with junk I wouldn't care for. Not to mention that each package adds thousands to the final price.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Add to that list Aveo/G3/Swift+....cheap little runabouts.

Accents and Elantra's can also be had in that range.

I'd agree with the Suzuki Swift recommendation if we got the ROW model. Instead, the only Swift we have is a tarted up Aveo and that is even exclusive to the Canadian market. No thanks...

The Elantra is a very nice option. Particularly as a value-for-money proposition.

What makes you think that doesn't apply to any small car made in recent years?

B/c I've driven a few and at least sat in just about all except the Focus. I'm not saying the others are [censored] or anything. I really was quite surprised by the Cobalt. The Yaris is nice, too, but the Fit has an edge in interior space. I know it's not a Rabbit. But it's interior volume, ride and handling, and other neat little touches set it apart for me. Am I biased toward Honda? Sure I am. But I don't have a closed mind on these issues. Looking a Yaris, Jetta wagon, Vibe, and Matrix are what got me pining for a new car. And there are certainly a few cost-cutting measures in the Fit. It didn't come with mats, for one. I was a tad surprised by that. And the carpet looks like someone picked out a NICE carpet and Honda said, "Okay, let's remove half the fibers!" But the switch gear has nices touches; there's a very functional instant and trip mpg computer; there are no less than 10 cupholders; the seats do all sorts of voodoo to accomodate various types of cargo; it's got nice 16 inch alloys; at least 5-6 inches of headroom above my 5'10" height; the aforementione d paddle shifters (which can be used in manual mode or on the fly in full auto mode); leather steering wheel with perfs at 3 and 9 o clock; standard fogs on my model; very high seating position; I could go on. It's a quality car in the same way that an Accord is. Your not going to outrun a Subie or outcorner a bmw, but it does the job well enough to be enjoyable.

I paid 9k out the door for my Focus, it has a leather steering wheel, fog lights, 16" alloys, height adjustable seat, 2.3l engine making over 140hp with similar torque, fully independant suspension (rather trick suspension at that), nice audio system, etc...
By your logic I am driving the best small car ever made.

Nobody said the Fit isn't a nice car, in fact its a really nice car. That said, the Fit isn't the end all be all small car. I don't think such a thing exists really, as each car in the segment seems to fill a niche the others avoid. I personally think the Fit is a bit...ugly. I also think its underpowered, and the gas tank is too small.
I do like how the auto-transmission won't force an upshift when using the paddles, makes it more fun to ring it out. That said, I prefer the 5 speed in cars with that little power. As for interior room, nearly all hatchbacks are huge inside. My 3 door Focus has swallowed massive loads on many occasions. Just recently I fit a 56"x37.5"x25" ferrat cage inside. Once past the hatch opening, there was plenty of room.

We could go on for ages, and various owners of various cars will stand up for their vehicle.

I never said it was the end all, be all of small cars. Please go back and reread my first post on the subject. You know, the one that ended by recommending the Cobalt? Then feel free to look ath the second post I made. The one where I didn't recommend a Fit b/c it was more than the OP's target price? But again, everyone just saw "Honda" and went into attack mode. I apologize, but I can't help everyone else's feelings of inadequacy, much less their reading comprehension skills.

I never said it was the end all, be all of small cars. Please go back and reread my first post on the subject. You know, the one that ended by recommending the Cobalt? Then feel free to look ath the second post I made. The one where I didn't recommend a Fit b/c it was more than the OP's target price? But again, everyone just saw "Honda" and went into attack mode. I apologize, but I can't help everyone else's feelings of inadequacy, much less their reading comprehension skills.

Hmm, after reading everything again my comments still stand. Enjoy your super primo end all be all Honda's!
Now excuse me while I go plug in my hooked on phonics set, so I can better read my inadequacy for dummies book.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smokey1
Originally Posted By: zoomzoomlx
I bring home a grey 09 Yaris hatch tomorrow afternoon. It has the sound package, weather package and thats it. No power options whatsoever! The final drive issue with the Accent steered me away and the deal I got with the Yaris couldn't be refused.

The Elantra Touring is a nice vehicle. I looked at a couple. They start around $17k but fuel economy is not the greatest..
is that the 4 door hatch ? May I ask what you paid for it ? We paid little less than $13,800 for the '09 4 door hatch after $1,000 rebate and dealer disccount before trade in . This one has power package , her car . We're averaging close to 38 m.p.g.. ENJOY and CONGRATS :- )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back