Best battery for cold weather

I have read good things about the agm, odyssey’s. However it is my understanding if your car did not come with an agm then it is better not to put one in it it can harm the alternator and starter…this is only what I have read , I am not saying it does that.
Most recent vehicles work fine with AGM batteries. There are ways to check if your alternator will be fine with an AGM battery

I have read good things about the agm, odyssey’s. However it is my understanding if your car did not come with an agm then it is better not to put one in it it can harm the alternator and starter…this is only what I have read , I am not saying it does that.
they are highest rated batteries by consumer reports. i have one in my 2021 mazda 3. they can last almost forever under constant -40 celcius temperatures. the stock mazda batteries are weak and not made for subartic climates.

Reactions: rcs
Nope. The temperature is the temperature is the temperature.

Windchill only refers to the rate of heat loss. It means "same rate of heat loss as xxx degrees, with no wind."
Put a block of steel on your picnic table on a winter night. With a wind-chill of -20F and the temp being 0F, after awhile the block of will be 0F. Not one degree below.

The last batteries I purchased were from Walmart and they are both AGM batteries. I put them in my Jeep and the Ford truck. I am not sure who has the best but prices are all over the board for automotive batteries. Walmart has Everstart here and Costco sells Interstate and both are good. I think there are only a handfull of battery manufacturers that control the market.

The last batteries I purchased were from Walmart and they are both AGM batteries. I put them in my Jeep and the Ford truck. I am not sure who has the best but prices are all over the board for automotive batteries. Walmart has Everstart here and Costco sells Interstate and both are good. I think there are only a handfull of battery manufacturers that control the market.
True ,East Penn, Johnson Controls and one other

they are highest rated batteries by consumer reports. i have one in my 2021 mazda 3. they can last almost forever under constant -40 celcius temperatures. the stock mazda batteries are weak and not made for subartic climates.
Did your Mazda originally come with and agm battery?

10 degree weather is nothing for that battery in your car. It will start it just fine at -20°F.

Okay all that video did was scare me 😳 I don’t ever want to hear that sound from my car, yikes!

Did your Mazda originally come with and agm battery?
no, it came with standard flooded battery. i live in subarctic climate zone. i also recommend optima agm batteries. my car can fit either redtop or yellowtop optima 35. the yellowtop is a very strong battery. these batteries will endure the coldest or hottest temperatures. if you live in a temperate climate zone, no need for extreme batteries like this. but for me it is like having an added safety.

But the NAPA battery I want is supposedly 1 inch taller. I am not sure I should buy that.
and they won’t take it back if it doesn’t fit, I already asked them. I know that East Penn is the way to go, yes indeed! Agree…

If that's the correct size they list for a 2015 Honda Pilot, and it doesn't fit a 2015 Honda Pilot, they better take it back! You could probably get your money back by contacting corporate if it truly doesn't fit :unsure:

That said, I don't think an extra inch taller will be a problem. If your Pilot looks like this under the hood, you won't have any problem with the inch at all :)

2015-Honda-Pilot-Engine1.jpg

no, it came with standard flooded battery. i live in subarctic climate zone. i also recommend optima agm batteries. my car can fit either redtop or yellowtop optima 35. the yellowtop is a very strong battery. these batteries will endure the coldest or hottest temperatures. if you live in a temperate climate zone, no need for extreme batteries like this. but for me it is like having an added safety.
Oh I agree. I live in Michigan, not quite as cold as you, but we have our months as well.
great to know the agm worked okay in your cars

If that's the correct size they list for a 2015 Honda Pilot, and it doesn't fit a 2015 Honda Pilot, they better take it back! You could probably get your money back by contacting corporate if it truly doesn't fit :unsure:

That said, I don't think an extra inch taller will be a problem. If your Pilot looks like this under the hood, you won't have any problem with the inch at all :)

2015-Honda-Pilot-Engine1.jpg
Oh I haven’t purchased it yet, I was thinking of getting the one that is 1 inch taller but was hesitant if I could not take it back.
that picture of the engine is not quite like mine, my battery is located located side under that right hooded thing, shield I suppose. And my battery is turned the other way. But thanks anyway👍
But if it would fit my vehicle that would solve everything!

Last edited:
Interstate batteries have been good to me. Costco sells them.

A good battery maintainer will help you a lot. Deltran Battery Tender is also sometimes at Costco. I have 2 one is at least 10 years old and works phenomenally. Put the quick connect on if you just want to plug it in at night time. It really does help maintain battery health. Then every time you go to drive your battery will be at full charge.

Interstate batteries have been good to me. Costco sells them.

A good battery maintainer will help you a lot. Deltran Battery Tender is also sometimes at Costco. I have 2 one is at least 10 years old and works phenomenally. Put the quick connect on if you just want to plug it in at night time. It really does help maintain battery health. Then every time you go to drive your battery will be at full charge.
Sweet, I will look into those. Someone did mention that on another forum

Sweet, I will look into those. Someone did mention that on another forum
One car only gets driven once every other week and it is always plugged in. Otherwise the cold really decreases the lifespan of the battery. I had an Interstate battery last over 8 years with a Deltran Battery Maintainer.

I was thinking of getting the one that is 1 inch taller
Your car uses a 24F battery. That is the "Group size" and the dimensions are pretty standardized. I'm quite certain it won't vary by 1" taller so you must not be looking at a 24F. You can also fit a 35 battery in there as it's very close in size, but smaller. It's definitely more common than a 24F nowadays. A lot of automakers switched from a 24F to a 35 because of weight savings (and in turn, higher fuel economy).

Sounds like that NAPA location is trying to sell you what they have in stock vs what's spec'd for your car.

Back