Best 0w16 oil?

Nothing wrong with the Toyota oil. Whatever oil you use, buy it and take it to the dealer and ask for the Jug back with .2 q. so you know what oil they used. Change at severe service intervals. Jmo

Last edited:
I didn't miss it. You know why they say that? Still doesn't mean 0W-16 is "required". What if the next oil change was 10,000 miles down the road per the OLM.
Does Toyota have any cars with OLM's? I thought all their cars had 10K OCI's except in the severe use category.

Because Australia has areas where the choice of oil is limited. 0w16 might not be available in Coober Pedy.

If one lives in the bigger metros then 0w16 will be on the shelves and will run fine.
You want your new Toyota serviced with 0W16 and you live in Coober Pedy, then I'm sure CP-Auto can help you out, no worries. Or sell you the oil and filters for a DIY job.

Coober Pedy Auto and Towing.

Last edited:
They should and there is always online shopping for the US.
Wow ! we have online shopping too, down here we call it eBay and Gumtree.

Plus the big auto stores here will deliver when you order on line. I just checked with Repco and their delivery policy is to "any valid address across Australia". If you ordered from Coober Pedy, it would be dispatched from either Whyalla or Alice Springs.

Last edited:
I asked about this on a Toyota forum, and was told the engines are not the same. They said the oil pumps are different. This makes no sense to me. Why would they put different oil pumps on the same engine being sold overseas? And what's even more ridiculous is to think they would install an oil pump on stateside (CAFE) engines, that was not capable of pumping a heavier viscosity oil at the required oil pressure. In short it makes no sense.
All Toyota vehicles sold in Australia are now fully imported from Japan, and roll off the same production line with the same part numbers. There is no economic sense in designing, developing and making a special Aussie edition for such a small car market for a vehicle that performs exactly the same as the Japanese edition, except for oil choice. We get the same engine as the rest of the world.

Um. yeah. You can order Mobil 1 0W-16 from Walmart and get a $10 rebate per jug. I severally doubt you'll find a 0W-16 anywhere close to that in Australia....
All M1 oils are very expensive in Australia, be it 0W16 or 5W30 or 0W40. It's the brand not the viscosity.

Just buy the local brands like Penrite 0W16 or Nulon 0W16, both full synthetic and both well respected locally. Both would be cheaper than any M1 product.

I saw lots of Nulon 0W16 synthetic in my local auto store yesterday. When I was buying Nulon 10W40 synthetic. Nulon is a good brand that I use.

Well there's no more $10-15 rebate here for a while but I suspect M1 is still inexpensive comparatively....

With the wife's new Rav 4 calling for 0w16, was wondering what the best oil is...
Of course you got the Toyota oil and Mobil 1 and that's nearby. I see Castrol makes one as well, Pennzoil, Liqui Moly... I can get the Liqui moly online for a good price, so was wondering how good that one is... I like buying good stuff so what you guys think?

My answer: Whatever brand that makes you motivated to change the oil at the appropriate interval (and remember "severe driving" covers more cars than many people think).

My 2nd place answer: the Toyota brand.....if I recall correctly it has a distinct additive profile (lots of moly?).

there is this from a Toyota dealer tech....

Good Lord, that's insane! Why so high? It can't be shipping. The government HAS to be involved to screw something up that much.
A churros at Costco in Australia is much expensive than the Costco in US. So it is not just oil.

Good Lord, that's insane! Why so high? It can't be shipping. The government HAS to be involved to screw something up that much.
It's mostly just M1, I think they are trying to position themselves in the market as "the best" by being "the most expensive". You can get Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra (= Pennzoil Platinum) and Valvoline Synpower for less at their everyday price. Plus the others regularly go on sale for a decent savings, but rarely is M1 on sale and when it is then the discount is minimal. I post sale prices regularly here ....

Shell Helix 10W-40 X7 "syn technology oil" is only $17 USD. A lot of pricing disparity there which is interesting....

Yeah, that Shell Helix HX7 10W40 is a good bang for your buck oil, that Repco sale is half price (for a 5L jug), but that happens multiple times per year. Same with the Castrol Magnatec 10W40, you can get great deals on that too. Both are rated API SN/CF and ACEA A3/B4.

I recently pick up some Gulf Western 10W30 semi-synthetic (API SP and ILSAC GF-6A) at 70% Off, $10 AUD for 5L. Which is $7.31 USD for 5.28 quarts.

Did you see my post of a CAFE award letter above? They most definitely have to word it carefully as stated in the letter.
Doesn't seem like it's been enforced much over the past 24 years though. I've seen plenty of manuals on cars that spec 0W-20 or 5W-20 that contradict the advice in the that letter.

Back