Best 0w16 oil?

With the wife's new Rav 4 calling for 0w16, was wondering what the best oil is...
Of course you got the Toyota oil and Mobil 1 and that's nearby. I see Castrol makes one as well, Pennzoil, Liqui Moly... I can get the Liqui moly online for a good price, so was wondering how good that one is... I like buying good stuff so what you guys think?

I’ve run SuperTech, Mobil1, and Valvoline 0W-16 and my favorite so far has been Valvoline; it is significantly quieter running than Mobil1. SuperTech is also excellent and quite quiet as well but I haven’t seen it on the shelves since the API SN clearance days.

With the wife's new Rav 4 calling for 0w16, was wondering what the best oil is...
Of course you got the Toyota oil and Mobil 1 and that's nearby. I see Castrol makes one as well, Pennzoil, Liqui Moly... I can get the Liqui moly online for a good price, so was wondering how good that one is... I like buying good stuff so what you guys think?
Unless some other company can match Toyota's 0w16 API SP additive package, but with a Group IV/V base blend, It's Toyota 0w16 SP for me. The SN package isn't that bad either.

IDoes the manual recommend or require 0w-16?
I've never seen any manual say that a certain oil is "required". If it was required in order to maintain warranty, then the manufacturer would have to give it to the owner for free (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act).

There are many to choose from in that grade that meet or exceed the Toyota spec.
Mobil-1,Toyota, Idemitsu, Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, and Liqui Moly are some of the choices l have seen.

I use Mobil1 0w16 as l can get it locally or delivered from WM at an attractive price.

There are many to choose from in that grade that meet or exceed the Toyota spec.
Mobil-1,Toyota, Idemitsu, Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, and Liqui Moly are some of the choices l have seen.

I use Mobil1 0w16 as l can get it locally or delivered from WM at an attractive price.
Toyota doesn't have a published spec in their manual, like a say VW504.00, BMW LL-01, etc, they just recommend using the TGMO 0w-16 or equivalent for best results... or 0w-16 API SN

Never seen a manual that states xW-xx grade is "required". If someone has an owner's manual showing that, please post it.
Toyota 0w16.jpg

Also back in the day, VW and Audi before the 1.8T sludge fiasco did list oil had to meet one or more of the requirements (drawing from memory from 20 years ago):
5w30 or 5w40
ACEA A3/B4
API SH/CF-4/CG-4
VW 502.00/VW 505.00

So, it allowed Audi and VW dealerships to cheapen out, and use Castrol GTX 5w30 for customer's Audi A4 1.8T and Passat 1.8T and it came back to bite them, as the only burden of proof sludged customers needed were receipts showing oil changes were done.

Last edited:
I've never seen any manual say that a certain oil is "required". If it was required in order to maintain warranty, then the manufacturer would have to give it to the owner for free (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act).
You're taking the MM Act too liberally.

If the manual says "Must use TGMO 0w16", then you have a point. But it says "Or equivalent" and lists 0w16 and API SN as requirements, it frees up Toyota, as there are many aftermarket equivalent API SN 0w16 one can use.

Just like the Germans, GM, etc saying oil has to meet their specification, that's why they have a oil certification program, so that aftermarket products can be certified and used to maintain warranty and be compliant to MM Act.

Back