Benefits and Reasons to Buy an iPhone?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I just recently purchased my first smartphone. Since it was my first, and because I knew (and still know) little about them, I got a new but inexpensive phone ... a Samsung A12. I bought the Samsung promarily because of name recognition and because I know some people (much more knowledgeable than I) who also have them. For the most part, I'm happy with the phone, but I'm also starting to think about an upgrade.

What are the benefits of an iPhone over an Android phone? Are there any features or technical reasons why my next phone should be an iPhone as opposed to an upgraded Android?

Since (as I understand it) Apple phones are pretty spendy, I'd be looking not at the latest phone but maybe a previous model with the intent of getting comparable quality and features at a lower price. What models would be worth considering? Perhaps a refurbished phone to save a few bucks?

Is there a recommended BITOG-type forum for iPhones that would be useful to join?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be welcome and useful at this point. Thanks!

It's personal preference. My wife, step-son, and daughter are Apple. My son and me are Android. iPhone is nice if you have a iPad since it's the same interface. I stay away from refurbished electronics.

The cameras on modern mobile phones are really amazing. All depends on your uses.

one of the main reasons people use an iphone is the ecosystem and i messaging. they lack the customization of an andriod. apple having one op system is good in that its for all the models they make, unlike android which can vary from maker to maker. for this reason apple apps tend to run with less issue than android apps.

younger folks seem to be the strong demographic for apple. my kids use apple , but i use android.

I was fairly late into the smart phone game myself (maybe 8yrs ago tops) and my first was an iPhone. I owned two of them. The only thing that drove me away from them is cost. Given how easily any smart phone can be broken, I refuse to spend more than a few hundred dollars on one, with the expectation of getting maybe 2yrs out of it.

I've had great luck with samsung and motorola androids.

Wife and kids have iPhone. I gave in and went that path too. I kinda “need” a phone now, MFA on on work computer, so it’s a necessary evil (that I have grown to like). I tried to use an Amazon Fire as a media tablet after my iPad mini died; I never warmed up to it and got a low cost iPad for home use. Now when I take a pic on the phone it shows up in both places so it’s kinda nice.

I don’t like spending lots so last time I spent $230 I think on an 6s, I figured $100 a year is the value to me so I only ”need” it to last two years. If I bought new for say $399 then it would have to last four years and that seems a bit of a stretch—it’s very likly it would, but I would be quite sad if it didn’t.

The apple platforms strength is in the organization, cleanliness of the interface, and product longevity.

If you use a mac as a personal computer the 2 are very well integrated and easy to use.

As for lifespan I get quite a long life out of the apple devices having had a 6s since 2015, I've replaced one battery for 75.00, and I have no intention of getting a new one until its locked out of future upgrades. I just put a basic rubberized thin case on them.

I never had more than 3 years out of an android phone before some sort of major failure, and the interface is cluttered and the whole UI just messy. Considering I would have had to buy at least 2 if not 3 in the span of my one Iphone the Apple product becomes a bargain.

The only reason to get anything more than a basic phone/ Iphone is to get a better camera, because a more expensive phone doenst really do much more for you unless you game on it a lot which I never do.

iPhones are more secure and are generally cheaper in the long run if you buy flagship phones because of their high resale value. With few exceptions, Androids lose near 100% of their value within one year of their release.

The math is pretty simple. I’ll use my wife’s phone as an example. 3.5 years ago we bought her iPhone X 256GB for $1149 but it also came with a $250 prepaid card rebate (Xfinity Mobile) bringing the initial cost to $899. Then when the iPhone 12 Pro was announced we were able to sell her iPhone X for $410, bringing the total cost for the phone down to $489. Divide that by the 3 years she used it and her iPhone X cost us $163 per year of service.

Don’t fall into the trap of buying a $300 iPhone from Walmart. It is likely a very out of date model that will be aged out of security updates soon after purchase. Generally, your total cost of ownership per year will be more for $200-$300 phone than for the $1100+ Flagship iPhone after resale. This is all assuming you care about your privacy and security…

After many years with Android, I bought a "refurb" iPhone 6s+ for about $300. It was brand new. Also went with a used iMac and new iPad. Made the change for security. Yes Apple knows everything about you. They just don't sell it all over the place. There was a learning curve for me in my 70's but it isn't bad. I am glad to get away from Windows!
Get an unlocked one and pick your carrier.

I’m not a user of android. Though some love it. What I do know is IOS simply works. I do not like not being able to directly load something like a song byte directly through the port. But reliability has been spot on for the 10+ years I e used an iPhone.

The iPhone SE (gen2) is $399; Probably not too spendy; I'm not paying 1K (no pun intended) for a phone.
The SE version is always a good deal. Had the previous SE for years before getting my current 8. Even sold the SE for nearly what I paid for it.

Also for OP, genuine Apple refurbs are another way to get a great phone at a reduced price.

After many years with Android, I bought a "refurb" iPhone 6s+ for about $300. It was brand new. Also went with a used iMac and new iPad. Made the change for security. Yes Apple knows everything about you. They just don't sell it all over the place. There was a learning curve for me in my 70's but it isn't bad. I am glad to get away from Windows!
Get an unlocked one and pick your carrier.

Yup...

I totally forgot about the refurbs which have always been good to me, and my organizations.

A much as Apple knows about you, Google knows more and uses that knowledge to nefarious purpose folding like a cheap suit at every opportunity.

Android vs iPhone is almost entirely personal preference. In too many cases, you'll just get the same "debate" you get with Ferd vs Chivvy vs Dadge vehicles. If you just bought a smartphone for the first time and you went with Android, just stick with Android... I do find Android more flexible or allows more ways to do things while with Apple, they like to do things one way ("their way" or what they consider the "best" way).

A few people have mentioned security updates and generally speaking, Apple will be better in this regards as Apple controls the software. With Android phones, the phone carrier controls the software (there are exceptions*) including critical security updates.

Matter of taste at first place as others pointed out. Some notable differences :
Apps tend to be more expensive on iPhone overall
People may fill pressure from the collages in apple ecosystem - "let's facetime" to discuss this or that.
Some andriod phones are unlocked - can get rooted phone goodies and can easily block adds if people are too annoyed by them

Only benefit that I can see is "User Friendly", although Android users have no problems with their devices

Years ago, my favorite phone was my (Grey Market) Motorola SLVR L9. Not a "Smart Phone" but a very "Intelligent Dumb Phone". Only used it as a phone, not for data. Then my carrier at the time (ATT) would no longer support it , even though I only used it for phone calls. Then purchased my i5.

In my case, I learned the Apple Devices with my first iPad (2nd gen). Still use it This is what I used to learn Apple products. Following is what I have that I can still use.

1. iPad 2nd gen. Using it right now. Only on WiFi, but SIM Card, cell tower capable.
2. iPod 2nd gen, given to my by my brother-in-law who did not know what he was buying. Still works, WiFi only.
3. iPhone 5. No SIM but use it on WiFi sometimes
4. iPhone 5.
5. iPhone 5S
6. IPhone SE 2nd Gen

BTW. One of the very best things I LOVED about my Motorola SLVR L9, was that it would give me an audible tone when I would lose cell signal, as when going into a large building, or out in the country away from towers. When get back close to tower, I'd get the audible tone again. Sure, iPhones and Androids give visual "bars" but I'm not always looking at the screen

Android vs iPhone is almost entirely personal preference. In too many cases, you'll just get the same "debate" you get with Ferd vs Chivvy vs Dadge vehicles. If you just bought a smartphone for the first time and you went with Android, just stick with Android... I do find Android more flexible or allows more ways to do things while with Apple, they like to do things one way ("their way" or what they consider the "best" way).

sort of...Google doesn't make an actual computer OS outside of chromebooks to interface with whereas a mac and an iPhone work beautifully together the way androids just won't.

If "best" means access to the most 3rd party apps then android is the way to go.
If "best" means cleanest and easiest UI and integration with the main computer- then apple wins.

It's personal preference. I have one of each and much prefer the Android experience. I find navigating iOS frustrating, the notifications are a mess and the hotspot works about half the time. I'm not buying any of Apple's marketing that it just works or their scare tactics on security and privacy.

Back