Being a kid in the 70s :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riding in a lawn chair on the back of a pick up - and no one blinking an eye.

Who could forget 'crusing'.

5 channels, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, and one independent.

never stayed in the house, too busy riding bikes, playing, etc.

All in the Family https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_in_the_Family most significant media and most watched .... a true passing from the 60's to the 70's.

Those were the Days - Questions with no answer but we remember the 60's and now the 70's.

http://genius.com/Carrroll-oconnor-and-j...-days-annotated

In 1976 America healed from the 60's and the American public had to move on.

1976 the Olympics in Montreal, Canada a contrast from the '72 Olympics in Munich, Germany.

I believe Mobil set their marketing on Mobil 1 synthetic oil in the '76 Olympics where the world was watching the 'healing year'.

If anything about the 'Cosby' stuff not being "P" about it(The show All in the Family ranked number-one in the yearly Nielsen ratings from 1971 to 1976. It became the first television series to reach the milestone of having topped the Nielsen ratings for five consecutive years, a mark later matched by The Cosby Show and surpassed by American Idol, which notched eight consecutive seasons at #1.) BUT IF there is something to it...the Cosby stuff seems over powering something could be up a trend.

All in Family in my opinion was a genious sitcom in that time period from 1970 - 1976...something that had an impact a message in the '70s.

^ Are we going to talk about TV from the 2010s in 2040? Or will it all be about Facebook and a 2nd generation of horrible cars?

I know the answer, TV won't be as relevant. How will we rerun internet memes in 30 years to remember how things used to be?

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I'm too ancient for this thread.
frown.gif

I was born the same year (even the same time of year) the very FIRST Chevy small block hit the dealers!
eek.gif

You were born in 1917?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Series_D

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
This pretty much sums it all up:

Ha I still have visible scars from some of my wheeled adventures and lessons learned. We were always outside, riding bikes, running around, building something, etc... We were all in great shape. What great memories.

I just remembered that I spent a lot of time with my grandparents and great grandparents from the greatest generation and older. I'd like to think some of their values rubbed off on me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Many here were open because of the Missouri Blue Laws. The mall would be full of cars with MO tags.

I liked the blue laws. It gave many people a day off to spend with their families, or just a day off. Seems like they were in place here until at least the late 70's for most, not all, businesses.

I don't have anything open on Sunday or Holidays for that reason.

I don't recall the 70's (or 80's, or 90's) being all that. The 60's sure were. I'm not crazy about the way the 21st century has started.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
This pretty much sums it all up:

Ha I still have visible scars from some of my wheeled adventures and lessons learned. We were always outside, riding bikes, running around, building something, etc... We were all in great shape. What great memories.

I just remembered that I spent a lot of time with my grandparents and great grandparents from the greatest generation and older. I'd like to think some of their values rubbed off on me.

X2
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JetStar
I just remembered that I spent a lot of time with my grandparents and great grandparents from the greatest generation and older.

Same here. God knows I miss them like crazy.

Originally Posted By: Win

I don't have anything open on Sunday or Holidays for that reason.

It was a little later, but for a few years I delivered Sunday newspapers by car. This was in about 1981-1983. This was back before there were 24-hour gas stations and if I forgot to fill up on Saturday, I'd be stuck waiting until 8AM or so when the first stations opened up on Sunday. Once I went back to the news agency to ask if they knew of any early stations - and they sent me to a place fifteen miles in the opposite direction which opened at 7! That was crazy early!

Getting cash was the same problem. The bank was probably only open something like 8-5 or 8-6 during the week and maybe 9-12 or 9-3 on Saturday, so getting gas money meant cashing a check during those hours! I didn't have a credit card, and this was still before ATM cards became widespread. No cash meant no gas and I'd be stuck at home.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I'm too ancient for this thread.
frown.gif

I was born the same year (even the same time of year) the very FIRST Chevy small block hit the dealers!
eek.gif

You were born in 1917?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Series_D

No, not the first V8 engine, the first small block. From the very article you linked-

Quote:
This was Chevrolet's's first V8 and the first overhead-valve V8.[citation needed] Chevrolet wouldn't make another V8 until the debut of the small-block in 1955.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I was born in 74 and growing up in the 70's is a paltry comparison to having grown up in 80's. Cut my teeth on vinyl records, then made the swith to cassettes. Its easy to remember my first cassette because it was Van Halen 1984. Yet I still managed to have an 8 track in my first car - 1974 El Camino. Started building it when I was 14. Luckily my parents had some decent 8 track tapes hidden away for me to dig through. OH! And i had the 8 track cassette converter where you put the cassette into this big 8 track... Thing and it played cassettes. I remember vhf-uhf and having to change channels, but our first remote control tv could be turned on and off by jingling keys in front of it. It was magic. First microwave, vcr, dad brought home pong one day. It wasn't in a box and I'm sure he won it in a poker game. Then came bootleg cable tv, skinomax friday after dark. My friend had a satelite - the real kind. We'd wait for his parents to go to sleep so they wouldn't hear the dish turning as it searched for the bird in the sky carrying the Playboy channel. I had a calculator on my wristwatch. And a walkman. How did I forget the dual cassette player? I could even record the radio from the same machine - i didn't need a separate recorder. The arcade that actually took quarters and you never saw a dollar bill slot. The 70's were great i'm sure, but I think the 80's were such a sweet spot to experience so many different things because technology was evolving so quickly. And how can I forget... The US beat the USSR in hockey and Ronald Reagan was President. He would come on the tv all the time speaking from his desk and start every speech with 'Hello my fellow Americans.' Those were the days. So come on, how can the 70's really compete with that?

Being born in '78, this pretty much mirrors my youth to a "T", but with tons of time on my Huffy Thunder 50 bike and going out in the neighbor's timber.

My parents owned/ran a local motel and nightclub/bar, so we had PLENTY of audio-visual gear. Eight track, cassette, record player and a reel to reel player. Plenty of power from a Realistic receiver and sound from Sansui speakers. When it came time for parties, they broke out the Peavey floor speakers... TV's were always overflow from the motel. Every room had one.

Jeeze, now we only have one TV and it almost never gets turned on.

Yeah, just razzing you. It's not a small block, but it was there first V8. Have to get my kicks in sometimes.

I am old enough to remember rotary phones, channel knobs on TVs, original Nintendo and Orange Tang. Oh, and life before cellphones was much much better. People actually looked ahead of themselves instead of down at there phones.

I remember cops stopping us for walking to the marsh with air rifles....just to make sure that we weren't shooting pets or windows.

"Hey boys...where ya'll headed?"
"Over to Wylly island to shoot some cans or maybe a rabbit."
"Okay boys. Have fun!"

That was it. Didn't even unholster that huge nickel plated revolver on his hip.

A generation before, my dad rode a city bus with a .410 shotgun to where they would eventually build Texas Stadium to hunt rabbits. The only fuss the old ladies on the bus created was over who was going to have some rabbit in the stew that night.

Some of the high schools in the 50's 60's had gun clubs/ marksman clubs. My fathers era had wonderful freedoms that my son may never know.
It was no big deal when i was in high school to have a pocket knife, as long as it stayed in your pocket. It was against the rules, but it was a farm community and almost everyone had a small pocket knife. Never was there a problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Some of the high schools in the 50's 60's had gun clubs/ marksman clubs. My fathers era had wonderful freedoms that my son may never know.

Yep.

My dad's inner city high school had a marksmanship class. He said it was funded by the US Army. Makes a lot of sense. You get to teach young men (and young women) firearm safety, care, responsibility, and marksmanship. Then, should they become soldiers, you have recruits that are range ready after an M4 rifle familiarization class. Less than a day to be qualification ready.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
You remember TV antennas on every ones roof?

I still have one of those! Might be the only one for a few miles though.

I do have a rotary phone in the basement. Been wanting to find a convertor so that I could still use it. I'm sure they are out there, but I've been too cheap to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back