Being a kid in the 70s :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1961 here. I miss our good ole days
wink.gif

It was fun. I was born in 68.

My kids have no idea about black and white TV, TV's without the remote controls, and Dial knobs to change the channel.

8 Tracks were another cool thing as well as the large TV console/Stereo with the turntable that dropped the record down on the platter to play.

I remember when we used to record the radio stations on cassettes having the recorder next to the speaker. We are spoiled these days!

Let's not forget bell bottom pants and Disco! ROFL.....

Life before the internet.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: JC1
I remember when we used to record the radio stations on cassettes having the recorder next to the speaker.

Me too!! I still have all those tapes :^)

Nobody needs to know today to turn the TV to'U' to get channels above 13? Turning the antenna control to get the different stations?

Zenith as the big name in electronics?

TEAC? Technics?

I still remember my mom's Pontiac Astra needing 3 pumps of the accelerator pedal to start on cold mornings...usually not the first time.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Born in '65. The 70's were great.

Me, too!

1964 here. Kind of a kid of the 60's and 70's. teen in early 80's. My 76 buick regal had an 8 track player. Bumps in the road would sometimes make it play 1/2 of 2 tracks at once. Kids today have no idea of listening to songs sequentially. The fireworks were good and powerful then! Loved riding my bike at the beach campgrounds. Surf fishing , beach arcades. Driving tractors on the farm. Setting points gap with a folded business card. I would not trade that era for being a kid now.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Nobody needs to know today to turn the TV to'U' to get channels above 13? Turning the antenna control to get the different stations?

Zenith as the big name in electronics?

TEAC? Technics?

I still remember my mom's Pontiac Astra needing 3 pumps of the accelerator pedal to start on cold mornings...usually not the first time.

I'm BARELY a kid of the 70's (born Late August '79), but I clearly remember all of those things. (we didn't have an astra, but close enough)

I was Born in 1960...

Had a great Teen life; once I got my license & car at 16...
wink.gif

Born 1963

Three TV stations - and after the 10 o'clock news, nothing was on except snow and static.

When we were little and it was time to go to bed, you got to stay up until the "dot" disappeared from the television screen after the set was shut off.

As far as cars were concerned:

Learning to:
- drive a stick shift
- adjust carburators and chokes
- set points
- adjust valves
- gap spark plugs
- install an 8-track tape player

Big white letter tires on the rear-end so everyone would know your car was fast which you filled up with "Hi-test" leaded gasoline.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
When we were little and it was time to go to bed, you got to stay up until the "dot" disappeared from the television screen after the set was shut off.

Heck yeah!! And while we were waiting for that dot to disappear,we'd keep touching the screen then shocking each other until the static electricity was finally used up!

Originally Posted By: LotI

My parents deliberately left the UHF dial on a static channel so when I put the VHF knob on "U" it was "nothing".

PBS was VHF and I could watch that.

Then I had a babysitter who knew that "Tom & Jerry" was on UHF and how to get it.
16.gif

Things were looking up that summer.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
The 1980's had the best music ever made.

+1
Lot of good tunes by ZZ Top, The Cars, Van Halen , The Go Go's, RATT etc.

I would say there are few bands today that will be popular , or revered 30 years from now.

Last edited:
I was born in 64. I love telling kids about the phone you had to rotate a disk on to make a call. Oh yeah, and about party lines!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back